Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Brake swaps/upgrades

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  1BADI5 
#1 ·
OK when it comes to brakes there really isn't much here?

I'm looking for rear disk brakes (off of a factory vehicle) to swap on my rear, and the biggest brakes for the front which looks like it's the h3 swap.

Now I'm only doing this for the look honestly I don't need that much brakes (I'm sure it will help tho) I'm looking for a set of xtreme wheels and I want to fill them up as much as I could without spending $2600 lol

I see the rear h3 brakes mentioned did anyone actually try them?

How about Silverado brakes For the 8.5 guys?

#2 · (Edited)
I didn't expect any noticeable improvement from the Street Rod Manufacturing rear disk kit.
I was in it mostly for appearance and improved serviceability.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the improvement in braking power and improved pedal-feel.

This kit uses Olds Toronado/Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers. SRMC won't reveal which modified discs (drilled with the 355 bolt-pattern) they used.
Their current price for replacement discs is $62.

Street Rod Manufacturing Rear Disc Conversion Kit for the Chevy Colorado

http://www.355nation.net/forum/brakes/103769-streetrod-rear-break-kit-group-buy.html

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
I saw a few Isuzu rears on e-bay

#8 ·
#13 ·
I'm not one hundred percent on the years and widths but I do think I remember there being three widths. Mine is from a 94 and it's 58". I measured my stock rear but since forgot the measurment I'm working on having my spring perches welded up soon so I should have more info on brake lines, parking brake cable and whatnot. Let me see if I posted that measurment

#14 ·
^^ To much guess work........for some rear calipers.

If you need to fab new spring mounts, modify the driveshaft(and have it balanced), the figure the yoke out.....then replace all the brake hardware thats probley bee sitting outside on the ground, drain the diff and refill.............thats going to quickly surpass of the rear disc conversion @Rick_crew was speaking of.

But trucks are like Burger King......have it your way. Please note: that's not always the best and or cheapest way....just saying.

#15 ·
For just brakes I agree really not worth the trouble unless you really want rear disks (I do) but with the Dana swap you get a stronger rear end lsd (if you don't have G80) and a much lower gear ratio I know the guys with big wheels will benefit from this I'm swapping a 5.3 once I know all the details so on small tires (assuming traction isn't a issue) great quarter mile times.

On a side note my neighbor was dropping his fuel tank on his Silverado and I took a look under there and the backing plate looked identical so it may be possible to swap Silverado brakes just bore the hub on the rotors

#17 ·
:ugh: :hide: Call out Friday @Jesse

#20 ·
@Jesse

It has my attention now and I bought it up in the Moderator section
@ZQ8inCO

I'll advise you to get on the ball and get your parts out in a timely manner. These issues are not taken lightly here.

Tracking numbers are great things to provide buyers.......it covers both parties

#22 ·
Thats what I'm here for @Jesse

This is why I tell everyone to make use of the iTrader to its fullest extent.
@Jesse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.