No More USA Made Rotors and Drums - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Chassis > Brakes

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista
No More USA Made Rotors and Drums

Since I am a bit old fashioned and very patriotic I try to buy American or Canadian made products. Knowing that aftermarket parts are often made overseas, I sent an email to Centric asking if their rotors and drums were still made in the USA and the president of Zeckhausen Racing wrote this reply:

Scott,

Brake rotors are no longer manufactured in the United States or Canada for aftermarket consumption. The “domestic” brands you may be familiar with (Raybestos,Wagner, Bendix, Centric, Motorcraft, Delco) are all manufactured in China/Taiwan. The plants and foundries that used to manufacture for aftermarket in the US and Canada have discontinued production. In addition, the European brands (Brembo, ATE, TRW, etc.) are sourcing a significant portion of their aftermarket rotors from China and Taiwan. Even Mexican rotor manufacturing is practically nonexistent today.

Centric Parts owns StopTech and Power Slot. All Centric Premium, StopTech SportStop, and Power Slot rotors are designed and engineered in-house, then Centric supervises strict manufacturing processes in Asia. They specify their own casting and manufacturing technologies. All parts are double disc ground, balanced, match the OEM vane designs and are E-coated (electrostatically applied black finish to all non-swept surfaces). Most competing brands do not offer all these OE features and benefits. Here’s a link to some additional details: The Centric Advantage - all brake rotors are not created equal

In my experience, this question about country of origin is generated by people concerned about one or both of the following:

1. They want to avoid parts manufactured in certain countries for quality reasons.

2. They want American made parts for patriotic reasons.

Depending on your goal, there is good news and/or bad news. The good news is that country of origin is not a reliable indicator of brake rotor quality. The bad news (from the perspective of patriotism) is that American-made brake rotors and drums no longer exist. Some vendors claim USA manufacturing, but they're selling foreign-made blanks machined (slotted and/or drilled) in the USA. Centric rotors, by the way, are machined in the USA.

We sell nothing but brakes, often to professional and amateur racers, and our experience with Centric, Power Slot, and StopTech rotors has been nothing but positive. We believe they manufacture the best aftermarket rotors in the world.

If you let us know the year, make, and model of your vehicle and the types of brake products you need, we will be happy to provide you with part numbers, pricing, and availability. If you have any special requirements, (e.g., towing, racing, etc.) please let us know and we'll give you specific product recommendations to meet those needs.

Sincerely,

David Zeckhausen
President, Zeckhausen Racing
(800)222-8893 x1
Zeckhausen Racing
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Bagged Bomber

Military Service Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 

Send a message via AIM to unicknn Send a message via Yahoo to unicknn
Re: No More USA Made Rotors and Drums

I buy whatever product is the best, I dont care where its made. Im not gonna spend my money on an inferior product just because its made here.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

I hear ya. But I remember a time not too many years ago when 'made in China' meant low quality control so thats why I asked the question. Its common knowledge that for years, cast iron from China was garbage, but the purpose of my post was to share the info.

It was about 8 years ago I put new drums on the back of an S-10. Bought the FLAPS brand, made in China. Drove the truck for a year, put about 6K miles on it. Was rotaing the tires and decided to pull the drums to check the brakes. The brakes were fine, but the inside of the drums were full of spider web cracks.

But it would appear that companies like Centric have a handle on making a better product.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

I agree with you man. I Try my best to ONLY buy american. And your right, china buys every single piece of scrap metal they can to help their own economy to build the parts we want. What happens is we sell them metal, they build shit out of it..and then they turn right around and sell it right back to us!

To me, this is all a bunch of bullshit. IF we taxed the goods coming into the US like THEY do, then we wouldnt be sending so much work over there... They tax the fuck outta goods coming in and no tax going out. Here we barely tax any goods coming in. Otherwise the price of imported goods, would compare favoabally to the goods of the U.S.

Yeah, we all love cheap stuff. And now we are basically reeping our own fields. But here's the good news. China is believe it or not, running out of people to man their factories! I watched a whole report on it the other night. A LOT of company's have already moved operation's to other countries!! I am personally liking the fact that it's happening. But hey...that's me. To each his own ya know!

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Bagged Bomber

Military Service Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditz View Post
IF we taxed the goods coming into the US like THEY do, then we wouldnt be sending so much work over there... They tax the fuck outta goods coming in and no tax going out. Here we barely tax any goods coming in.
The amount of money our govt brings in from importing from China is WAY WAY more then the higher % that they pay to import our goods. We can charge them less because we vring more in.... Its the same way walmart can charge you less for the same thing you could get at a mom and pop store. If you look at the money brought in from tariffs I would be willing to put money down saying we make more money off of tariffs then china does.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Bagged Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditz View Post
But here's the good news. China is believe it or not, running out of people to man their factories! I watched a whole report on it the other night. A LOT of company's have already moved operation's to other countries!! I am personally liking the fact that it's happening. But hey...that's me. To each his own ya know!
The factories arnt comming back here. They are just gonna ship the jobs off to an even more poor area.... Africa here we come!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Texas Yoda!!!!

Nation Elite Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread Skitz Award USASM2012 SESM 10 SESM 11 TXSM 10 TXSM 11 TXSM 14 

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage

Right patriots!!!
Trade in your big tv's made with Asian electronic parts, might as well all of your electronic equipment, like power tools, and shit that makes your life great, since they are foreign
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Roy and Blue

355 Medal Of Honor Chapter Founder TOTY TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread Skitz Award WCSM 10 SESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 TXSM 10 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvocho View Post
Right patriots!!!
Trade in your big tv's made with Asian electronic parts, might as well all of your electronic equipment, like power tools, and shit that makes your life great, since they are foreign
lol, my "american made truck" has "hecho en mexico" written on it more places than I care to count.
skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
I fucking atoadaso!

Chapter Founder Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 

Garage

I think its cool that the guy actually took the time to send you a detailed response and not some short pre-written response.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Texas Yoda!!!!

Nation Elite Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread Skitz Award USASM2012 SESM 10 SESM 11 TXSM 10 TXSM 11 TXSM 14 

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage

I was going to say, but then it would be racist of me
Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicknn View Post
The amount of money our govt brings in from importing from China is WAY WAY more then the higher % that they pay to import our goods. We can charge them less because we vring more in.... Its the same way walmart can charge you less for the same thing you could get at a mom and pop store. If you look at the money brought in from tariffs I would be willing to put money down saying we make more money off of tariffs then china does.
Tariffs have gone the way of the dinosaur. If the U.S. taxed Chinese imports, Chinese goods would be as costly or more so than American products. Our trade deficit with China last year was close to 200 billion dollars. Places like Walmart sell Chinese products because the average American doesn't want to pay .$50 more for a tape measure made in the USA.
It's also about profit margins. If I have a company that makes a product and an American worker expects $25 dollars an hour to tighten some screws, why would I not move production elsewhere and pay only $5 an hour to have it made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvocho View Post
Right patriots!!!

Don't get your panties in a wad. I never said 'buy only American'. I'm just as guilty as you for buying foreign made which is why our electronics, power tools, toys, clothes, medicines, dog food, etc is made overseas. But I always tried to buy American to try to keep folks like you in jobs here. Given the choice between a quality USA made part and one from China, I would buy American. I'm a patriot, so be it.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Bagged Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Tariffs have gone the way of the dinosaur. If the U.S. taxed Chinese imports, Chinese goods would be as costly or more so than American products.
We do tax chinese imports anywhere from 2-5% from what Ive found. They tax our goods at about 17% The deficit is so large because they dont want any of our shit because they cant afford it.

Just because someone in the media says we dont charge tarriffs doesnt mean its true. But I guess doing your own research is too hard. Here is a link to our 2011 Official Harmonized Tariff Schedule
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
Bagged Bomber

Look Obama even raised the rates on china last year.

More knowledge

Bet thy wont report that on the Fox/rush/beck shows

China is angry...

Another one
Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Very interesting thread and points I must say.

Needless to say the "American made" line is almost gone. I guess we were all born about 50 years to late if we honestly wanted American goods by American's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
3'' of glory

355 O.G. Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

just another way the rich get richer and the poor gets poorrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Meeting Darek should be on everyone's 'bucket list'. Really.

RIP Forrest & Joe
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Harry...

Nation Elite Contributing Member Calendar Spread Skitz Award 100K NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 2013 SESM 10 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I blame unions
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Son of the South

Military Service Contributing Member Calendar Spread 

seriously what is still made in the USA? Tools? thats about it.

Formerly NavalColoradoZ71
The Daily 2007 Chevy Colorado Z71
The Monster 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 H/C/I 347Broke going Turbo
Little Big Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
Roy and Blue

355 Medal Of Honor Chapter Founder TOTY TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread Skitz Award WCSM 10 SESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 TXSM 10 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Babies. Sometimes.
skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
I blame unions
Agreed 100% Chris!

They got greedy and then they fucked themselves out of a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
3'' of glory

355 O.G. Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

you know whats crazy? a plant i worked at in IN make parts for mazda, subru, and izzu.

is that reverse out sourcing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Meeting Darek should be on everyone's 'bucket list'. Really.

RIP Forrest & Joe
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement