Vibration at certain speeds.... pinion angle? - Page 2 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Chassis

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
Nation Affiliate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to covered'n' ink
Re: Vibration at certain speeds.... pinion angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
so what was the point of this rant??? i'm very aware that u-joints need angle to lubricate themselves, too much angle and too much load is placed on them. i also realize changing ride height changes pinion angle, i was saying MY vibration wasnt pinion angle because my truck vibrated STOCK and the vibration didnt change no matter how much i lowered it, even after 3 different sets of wheels and 4 sets of tires the vibration didnt change. its starting to get worse now though, so hopefully something breaks soon so i can fix it and get rid of the vibration.
mayb ur drive shaft is is unbalanced or tranny mount is bad... it wasnt a rant just throwin info out there to who ever wanted to read it......
covered'n' ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
Nation Elite

Chapter Founder Contributing Member 

Send a message via AIM to schardbody Send a message via Yahoo to schardbody

yeah that was my theory out of balance drive shaft, since so many people have this problem. it almost seems like it gets a TAD bit better the more i drive which would lead me to believe that it might be some binding u-joints, they are tight and not making noise, but i havent pulled the driveshaft to check the joints for binding.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #23
Nation Affiliate

I had the same issue at the same speeds when my truck was at stock height. I took it to the dealer and one of the u-joints was seizing up. They swapped out the joint and it was gone. Then after I lowered it, the vibration returned.
Just food for though the joints could me messed up.
gtxsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #24
Nation Affiliate

Military Service NESM 10 SESM 09 SESM 10 

I do dealer trades for the local GM dealer since I've retired. I've driven 4 new Colorado/Canyons, reg cab. 4 wd, ext cab. 4 Wd, and 2 wd. and crew cab 4wd. All had the 355 vibration to the point that you look at the box in the side mirror and you can see it shake untill the vibration goes away from speeding up or slowing down. My V8 2wd ext cab does it stock and with the 3 in blocks with 2 degree shim. The crew cab 4wd did not vibrate and that was with the lug type tires GM uses and often has a balance problem, but that one did not. I've asked techs. at a few diff. dealers and they tend to shrug and blame it on the design. I guess if you are vibration and shake free, you should thank the 355 gods.
Old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
Nation Affiliate

Ya I've noticed the box do that too but its only momentarily during the vibration.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #26
New To The Nation

Same vibrations with mine. 50-60mph. Since mine is still under warranty (<3 yrs and at 14500 miles), you think it would be covered?
inky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Members Technical Staff

TOTM Winner Nation Elite Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award SESM 09 SESM 10 SESM 11 

i discovered the cause of my vibration this last week. I took my belltech leafs off and put new zq8 leafs on and the vribration stopped. put the belltechs back on because i didnt like the height i was at.....vibration back!

ive had my belltech leafs for about a year and half i think they just worn out

JOIN THE REVOLUTION
LowRadoNLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #28
Nation Citizen

Military Service 

measure the angle of the front most and rear most u joints. If they are more than 2 degree out. Adjust your pinion angle ofr drop your cross member to achieve optimum angles. If you do not want to do this you could go the cv route on the driveshaft.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #29
Nation Affiliate

The only thing I disagree with is people have been having this same problem with stock colorado/canyon drive-trains too. It does feel like a u-joint problem though. And the first time I had this issue I took it to the dealer and they replaced the u-joint for me. I'm planning on taking it over and getting them to do it again.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
Nation Affiliate

Send a message via AIM to covered'n' ink

even before i lowered my truck at about 50-60 mph and about 1500 rpm i get a slight vibration now that i lowered it its still there but seems to be a little more noticeable but i measured my pinion angle and its fine so i duuno from what iv read on here looks like its a factory thing going on???
covered'n' ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #31
New To The Nation

First post here. I know this thread is kind of old but there is some good info...

I am having drive shaft problems. I went to replace my u joints this weekend and discovered that the carrier bearing is completely worn. The drive shaft freely moves inside it.

Not only that but the slip yoke has lateral movement in it.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the slip yoke and carrier bearing?

Now onto the cause. I have always noticed vibration when taking off, at least for the past 4 years. I just lived with it, I know I should have investigated it a long time ago. (Places face in palm)...

I have 2" lift shackles but the vibration was there before the shackles. This may have made it worse.

I have read about people dropping the carrier bearing to help eliminate problems. The thing is I don't know how to go about doing this. Also How would I measure the pinion angle on a 2 piece drive shaft?

Thanks.
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #32
New To The Nation

Well, I found a drive shaft in a junk yard. The carrier is in great shape, I just hope the yoke doesn't have any play in it.

I'm going to drop the carrier about an inch. Hopefully that will prevent the carrier from going bad again. I think I will take it by a shop that can measure the pinion angle after I drop the carrier just to make sure I don't need any shims.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #33
New To The Nation

Got the drive shaft in. No play in the yoke and no more vibration. Dropped the carrier about an inch and looks good so far. I hope I don't have to replace the carrier ever again.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #34
MTS

Contributing Member How-To CM How-To CM 

Nice man, good job.

burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement