wheel alignment 101 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Chassis

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wheel alignment 101

buy the fasttrax tool from Summitracing.com and follow directions. My 04 rado had plastic c shaped clips that sat in the oem adjusters, I popped them out and made reference marks where current settings were, take readings on the current alignment so you know where your starting from and where you want to go. After my tb crank the camber was -1 degree, so I needed to move the top of the wheel out approx. 1/4 inch. Unweight the wheel (jack up and let hang), loosen bolts to upper adjusters one at a time. 1 notch is approx. 1/2 degree or 1/8 inch if you move both sides evenly....when caster and camber are right, set toe and recheck everything. 3 times you use the tool and its paid for, be sure to torque all nuts to proper specs.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...fasttrax&dds=1

Last edited by crab; 08-23-2009 at 12:03 AM.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Nation Elite

Chapter Founder Contributing Member 

Send a message via AIM to schardbody Send a message via Yahoo to schardbody
Re: wheel alignment 101

how are you checking caster though??? caster is going to change without a doubt and thats the angle that will make your truck pull the most.

is the ground level where you are doing this. are you just working towards 0 on toe and camber???

in my opinion these tools should be used on off road vehicles only. race cars, 4x4 trucks that arent daily driven etc.

think about it, GM and all other shops are using computerized machines to read the specs and they STILL wear the tires rapidly, this is about as close as can get in the yard, but i'll gladly spend $50-100 to get 30% more use out of my $600 tires!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Premium Member

Military Service Contributing Member 355Loyalty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
how are you checking caster though??? caster is going to change without a doubt and thats the angle that will make your truck pull the most.

is the ground level where you are doing this. are you just working towards 0 on toe and camber???

in my opinion these tools should be used on off road vehicles only. race cars, 4x4 trucks that arent daily driven etc.

think about it, GM and all other shops are using computerized machines to read the specs and they STILL wear the tires rapidly, this is about as close as can get in the yard, but i'll gladly spend $50-100 to get 30% more use out of my $600 tires!
In MI. the gm dealers run a pot hole special for 49.95 .

2004 Canyon Z-71 Ext Cab SLE
3.5 auto 3.42 gear
Michigan 355
86,000 miles
gbc43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
New To The Nation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20GmIvCLioA

FastTrax Camber/Caster Gauge - Test Bench
SPC Peformance
By Joey Leh

Reading a camber setting is as easy as positioning the FasTrax on your wheel and extending it to fit. Be sure the gauge is correctly zeroed for your floor before use.
As a normal SCC reader, you've no doubt bounced around the thought of buying stiffer springs or coilovers (if you don't have some already). But changes in ride height and set-up will affect stock alignment settings, altering toe and camber settings and ruining your once-stellar handling. Much like with ECU tuning, you've come to realize that you may need two different alignment settings, one for the street and a much more aggressive one for the track.

Nobody likes visiting the local tire shop and paying $70 to $100 each time a suspension change is made, only to receive an unbalanced guess job the day before a track event. The best way to ensure the work is done correctly is to take the monkey out of the equation-SPC Performance's adjustable FasTrax camber/caster gauge seeks to do just that.

The FasTrax gauge is a simple three-pegged aluminum 'T' with a bubble level built in. The design doesn't require any magnets, strings, wheel adaptors, or attachment devices. SPC calls the FasTrax 'hands free' and, while you still need to use your mitts when measuring, it really is quite easy to use.

The FasTrax is zeroed out by SPC and comes ready to use on any even surface. If you're like us, then your garage floor is obviously not level, but the FasTrax can be zeroed at any time. Once ready to go, just extend the top portion of the FasTrax to fit it onto your wheel. The gauge will function with any wheel from 13 to 18 inches in diameter.

Three protruding pegs fit either just on the inside of the wheel lip, or just on the outside. The bubble level has been designed by SPC to show proper increments of camber, and displays in degrees, with markings for every quarter of a degree. If you share our tendency to be anal, you'd like to see the gauge broken down at least into 0.10-degree increments, but the spacing on the level is large enough to figure out relative increments.

The FasTrax, toe kit, a scrap steel plate and a tape measure are all that's needed to measure your toe settings trackside.
To measure caster, turn the front wheel out at a 15-degree angle, zero the FasTrax gauge, then turn the front wheel in at a 15-degree angle, in order to get the caster reading. The Fastrax has a specially cut 15-degree tip to it, so turning the wheels the correct amount is just a simple matter of lining up the tip parallel to the side of the car.

Although not included with the FasTrax, SPC does sell a toe attachment kit to measure and set toe-in/out. Using it is as simple as attaching it to the FasTrax and measuring the distance to a scribe line or plate resting against the tire on the other side of the car. Measure once in front of the tire and once behind the tire, the difference will be the amount of toe.

The kit is perfect for making quick toe adjustments at the track. But it will only really function if the toe was initially set with a four-wheel alignment, because the SPC toe kit doesn't factor in the toe setting relative to the true chassis centerline.

All these measurements can be done without hand tools and that's exactly what makes the FasTrax so easy to use. Alignment changes can be done in the comfort of your own home to your exact settings, or trackside in a pit area. Run mild alignment settings for your daily drive, then slam in maximum camber settings as dictated by the heat across your race tires.

There are now many different portable options for measuring camber and caster on the market, some even cheaper than the FasTrax, but none pack the same combination of solid construction, simplicity, ease of use and price. Alignment settings should not be overlooked on any performance car, and with a portable measuring device such as the FasTrax, you can custom tailor your suspension set-up for the street, the track, and back again.

Discuss in Our Forums Share This Article
Social Web Close
del.cio.us Digg
Furl Netscape
Yahoo! My Web StumbleUpon
Google Bookmarks Technorati
BlinkList Newsvine
ma.gnolia reddit
Windows Live TailRank

Last edited by crab; 08-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
MTS

Contributing Member How-To CM How-To CM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post

agreed.

I just had my truck aligned yesterday and the shop got a new alignment machine in that uses sonar. pretty high-tech. I asked about why they got the new system cuz 2 years ago they had one that used laser. He said the laser was only accurate to within 1mm (1/8") but the sonar one is exact.

burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement