ABS Fault? WTF! - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Chassis

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Lord Bearded One

Purple Heart Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 2013 SESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 SECSM 2013 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
ABS Fault? WTF!

So I was coming back to work from lunch and found a parking lot that hadn't been plowed in the last few days. (We have around 3 in of snow on the ground) anyway i decide to see what my Canyon can do in the snow. (First winter I've owned it) So I go in cruising at a quick 10MPH, cut, break, and punch. Halfway through the slide I hear *ding ding ding* one I stopped moving I looked at the gage cluster and the ABS was lit with a message flashing ABS Fault. I was like WTF. So I drove for a while thinking maybe it didn't like the slide. It stayed lit and the message stayed there. Got back here and shut it off. Thinking for a sec I turned it back on and it was cleared.

Any ideas why that happened/ If i screwed anything up/ any thing else you can think of? I hate to think that I'm going to have to reset the damn message every time i slide.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather it is to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!"

R.I.P SC 11/16/90-10/26/09
R.I.P Skitz 6/20/84-6/27/11
JVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Lord Bearded One

Purple Heart Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 2013 SESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 SECSM 2013 

Garage
Re: ABS Fault? WTF!

I hope so. I really don't want to have it in the shop already.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather it is to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Nation Elite

355 O.G. Chapter Founder Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity WCSM 08 WCSM 09 WCSM 10 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 2wenty2 Send a message via MSN to 2wenty2

that happened to me last year in the rain... i floored it and broke them loose... abs fault lit up.. i stopped... shut the truck off.. turned it back on it it cleared. it did that about 3 more times but it hasnt done it since.

My Cardomain
2wenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Lord Bearded One

Garage

Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I've only had it come on once, driving down the freeway at night it kind of freaked me out but the next morning it was gone.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
ZQ8Dude

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

take it in for inspection just incase. It can be nothing or in my case, it can be fucking expensive.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Nation Affiliate

Happened to me about 4 months ago too during one of my big nasty burnouts! nothing has happened since but im with zq8dude it could be expensive if something does break so might try to get it inspected. i did but my local stealership is a bunch of tards and found nothing. hasnt happened since.
murderedoutzq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
ZQ8Dude

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutzq8 View Post
Happened to me about 4 months ago too during one of my big nasty burnouts! nothing has happened since but im with zq8dude it could be expensive if something does break so might try to get it inspected. i did but my local stealership is a bunch of tards and found nothing. hasnt happened since.
yeah, i have proof of it being bad. I ended up spending 1100 on it and that was after the stealership discounted me.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Nation Elite

Chapter Founder Contributing Member 

Send a message via AIM to schardbody Send a message via Yahoo to schardbody

the abs module monitors the wheel speed at each of the front wheels and the rear together via 3 speed sensors. it uses the VSS to determine if all are spinning the same speed as each other in conjunction with the vehicle speed. when doing a burnout or powerslide your back wheels are obviously going faster than the front, once that variation is recognized the module THINKS your front brakes are locked up, it attempts to correct the situation by DUMPING the brake pressure past the front brakes via the abs dump valve, essentially releasing the locked up brakes to prevent uncontrolled manueaverability (locked up means sliding which you cant control as easily), if dumping the pressure doesnt correct the variance in the wheel speeds the fault light will illuminate letting your know theres a problem. this of coarse if you were actually in a panic braking situation.

no harm is done, if the code cleared on its own it was a soft code and stored in memory but wont keep the light on. if you had a bad wheel speed sensor or wire the light would remain on as the abs self test its components on every key cycle and if a fault is found it would illuminate the light.

if you are covered under warranty and you want piece of mind take it in, if you dont have a warranty dont waste the money. i assure you its nothing.

im an ASE certified tech, and i have clocked over 100hrs of advanced ABS training. this is one of the areas i strive in.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
NW Surfrider

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Advocate Calendar Spread WCSM 08 WCSM 09 WCSM 10 

Hey schard, is there a way to actually disable ABS? i have never had it on a vehicle before, and i absolutly hate it. I am convinced that anything that grinds so bad it makes you yank your foot off the brake peddle is crap.
rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
Nation Affiliate

355 O.G. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
the abs module monitors the wheel speed at each of the front wheels and the rear together via 3 speed sensors. it uses the VSS to determine if all are spinning the same speed as each other in conjunction with the vehicle speed. when doing a burnout or powerslide your back wheels are obviously going faster than the front, once that variation is recognized the module THINKS your front brakes are locked up, it attempts to correct the situation by DUMPING the brake pressure past the front brakes via the abs dump valve, essentially releasing the locked up brakes to prevent uncontrolled manueaverability (locked up means sliding which you cant control as easily), if dumping the pressure doesnt correct the variance in the wheel speeds the fault light will illuminate letting your know theres a problem. this of coarse if you were actually in a panic braking situation.

no harm is done, if the code cleared on its own it was a soft code and stored in memory but wont keep the light on. if you had a bad wheel speed sensor or wire the light would remain on as the abs self test its components on every key cycle and if a fault is found it would illuminate the light.

if you are covered under warranty and you want piece of mind take it in, if you dont have a warranty dont waste the money. i assure you its nothing.

im an ASE certified tech, and i have clocked over 100hrs of advanced ABS training. this is one of the areas i strive in.
you're exactly right, a waste of money? absolutely, how much?

$651
longbow986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
Nation Master

355 O.G. Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite How-To CM Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity WCSM 09 WCSM 10 

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post

Great explanation!! Thank you for that.

And this is why running two different wheel/tire sizes on the front vs. the rear messes with the ABS. Makes sense.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
Nation Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeblade View Post
Hey schard, is there a way to actually disable ABS? i have never had it on a vehicle before, and i absolutly hate it. I am convinced that anything that grinds so bad it makes you yank your foot off the brake peddle is crap.
you can disable it by simply pulling the relay, this of coarse will illuminate the light on the dash, and IF you get into an accident and the insurance company finds out you could be looking at a loss of coverage and maybe civil suits from the other party. i wouldnt recommend it.

the pulsing (grinding) of the pedal is the solenoids at work (they work fast huh). the abs system can "apply, release and re-apply brake pressure to any given front wheel or both rear wheels up to 10 times in a single second. this is DOG YEARS faster than any human brain can comprehend that they are even sliding. if you must disable it so be it, but i surely dont recommend it.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Nation Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow986 View Post
you're exactly right, a waste of money? absolutely, how much?

$651
im lost. please explain.

and RRCN, that is 100% correct, staggered sizes will cause abs problems, usually ABS engagement at the very end of a stop, one of the wheels is reading 0mph and the others are still shown to be moving it reacts as if that wheel is locked up and will engage the dump valve, pulsing the pedal, and scaring the shit out of the driver.

anti-lock brakes are a good thing, and when working properly can save your life, or atleast a preventable accident. i used to feel the same way, screw ABS, just something else to break. then a few years ago i was driving in my nissan hardbody with modified suspension (load leveling valve on rear, lowered suspension means more rear brake bias, so very easy to over brake in a panic situation) so im driving on this wet busy road (50mph) and all of a sudden brake lights 5 feet in front of me, of coarse i slam the crap out of the brake pedal, and the abs engages immediately, the tires try to lock up, every few milliseconds you hear them want to slide. moral of that long boring story is ABS saved my butt. rearending someone would have been devastating as i LOVED that truck, and it was paid off so i carried liability only.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Nation Affiliate

Lifetime Contributing Member 100K SESM 10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVal02104 View Post
Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Happened to me after my burnout at scrapin a couple months ago and havent had a problem since
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

My ABS came on this weekend and it still scares the shit out of me no matter how many times I hear it. That grinding sound makes me feel like the front end is shearing apart.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #17
Nation Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonZ71 View Post
My ABS came on this weekend and it still scares the shit out of me no matter how many times I hear it. That grinding sound makes me feel like the front end is shearing apart.
wow, it should just be a quick vibrating noise, almost like a a BOINGGGG
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
Lord Bearded One

Garage

thanks for the incite guys. specially schardbody. I do have the warranty left for 6k but I trust the ASE training (otherwise I'd do all the repairs myself)

Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #19
Nation Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVal02104 View Post
thanks for the incite guys. specially schardbody. I do have the warranty left for 6k but I trust the ASE training (otherwise I'd do all the repairs myself)
if you still have 6k left of warranty then just keep an eye out for any oddball brake issues like ABS engagement for no reason. otherwise dont worry. no problem with the help.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #20
Nation Elite

355 O.G. Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM WCSM 09 

yah ive started my truck 2x the past 2 years ive had my truck and have had the ABS light come on. As soon as i shut it off it resets and turns off the light...
Advertisement