Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

2012 Chevrolet Colorado Gets Minor Changes

12K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  JakeF150 
#1 ·
2012 Chevrolet Colorado Gets Minor Changes
July 11, 2011
By Erick Ayapana

General Motors has just announced changes for the upcoming 2012 Chevrolet Colorado. With the present Colorado nearing the end of its lifespan it comes as no surprise that the 2012 model isn't too much different from the previous year.

The biggest change for the Colorado's 2012 model year is that the Vortec 5.3L V8 engine (rated at 300 hp), is no longer available on the 1LT extended and crew cab variants. Also not available on those two models is the 3.42 ratio rear axle and 145-amp alternator. In addition to the V-8, customers will still have a choice between the Vortec 2.9L four-cylinder (rated at 185 hp) and the Vortec 3.7L inline-five cylinder engine (rated at 242 hp). The five-speed manual transmission is still available on all models except LT variants.

GM has decided to boost the off-road credentials on 2LT, 3LT and 1LT (4x4) models by giving customers the option of adding an automatic locking rear differential. Additionally, 1LT and 2LT 4x4 models will now come standard with equipment for trailers.

Inside, all Colorado models will receive revised rear-seat head restraints. 1LT regular and extended cab models will come standard with the Power Convenience Package which includes: power door locks, power windows and a rear view mirror with auto dimming, a compass and outside temperature display. Finally, all 2LT models will now come with front bucket seats instead of the 60/40 split-bench seat.

Read more: 2012 Chevrolet Colorado Gets Minor Changes - Auto News - Truck Trend

See less See more
#6 ·
Well now I don't know if I want to get a 2011 or order a 2012 v8 z71 crew I guess if I get the 2012 I will not have to add any options cuz the ones I want are standard now

#11 ·
i dont know why we like our trucks so much, GM sure doesn't....

#16 ·
It's not new. It's on my "09. and yes, it's "pretty damn hot":D

#20 ·
I swear I see more and more of them daily....355.

I need to tag one of my new neighbors truck :naughty:

#23 ·
i ended up buying mine used from a ford dealership. lol they tried selling me rangers when i came specifically for the colorado.. it took about 5 times of me telling the salesman i thought ford products were garbage until he realized i was not buying one

#24 ·
I see tons of them daily but they are all old men, women or people that just don't give a fuck it seems.

There is a black crew cab I've seen running around lately that's got a body lift and tint I need to tag it

Be nice if GM would give the anemic ass 5.3 some more fuggin power or offer it in the regular cab. I don't get their reasoning about these trucks ar all

#25 ·
I see a lot as well, a lot are fleet trucks (which they are good for) but most are general people use. The dealerships have all the big sierras, silverados, and tahoes because the demand is not there for them thanks to fuel costs. Similar reasons I think why there are no 355s there. The few that are there are taken up quickly because they are cheap and decent on fuel. When I got mine, it had not even been back on the market for a week. :shrug:

#26 ·
the dealerships here dont carry them either..i stalked 2 gm dealers for 6 months... not a single one...new or used..
asked why they didnt get/have them, was told it wasnt worth it to them, i would be stupid to buy a small truck over a full size.... but if i wanted one that bad, they could order me one, but only in like 3 colors, and only 2 packages..
i went to the ford dealership next door, found the crew cab i have, put down payment on it, and while waiting to sign papers had like 3 people ask to test drive it..
been there a few times since and they get atleast one every week or so and they are gone by the 6th day at latest...cant keep them
so WTF is wrong with GM dealers.... IDIOTS

#27 ·
They sit on the lots for a long time when they are new. The resale value is so soft on these trucks that they make for an inexpensive used truck. So, they sell much faster as used. :shrug:

GM screwed the mid-size truck market for themselves by not finding a more fuel efficient power plant. The CAFE regulations mandate the manufacturers to sell a certain percentage of fuel economical passenger cars based on the number of light duty truck sales. Well, GM didn't have very many cars that were desirable and the full size trucks got the same fuel economy as the 355 so why push the small truck in their eyes. Sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.