Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Diesel Power Imminent For 2015 Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon

18K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  wh1pple 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I'm just waiting on the official release at the auto show in November

#6 ·
This will put GM way ahead in sales if they price it right and they will own the mid size market now

#7 ·
And from Automotive News:

General Motors, which is readying plans to offer a diesel in the next-generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-sized pickups, three people familiar with GM's plans told Automotive News. The redesigned pickups are slated to get a version of GM's 2.5-liter or 2.8-liter, four-cylinder Duramax turbodiesels, which power the Colorado in overseas markets. The diesel option will be added to the U.S. lineup about a year after the fall 2014 launch of the redesigned trucks, the sources say.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...7/diesels-add-fuel-to-truck-war#axzz2dBlVV0bE

#11 ·
I can't even imagine the nightmare job this would be. EVERY drive train piece would have to be custom fabbed, not to mention the all new fuel system and electronics. Not worth it at all. Putting a diesel in a 355 would only be slightly easier than converting it to a flux capacitor which runs on household trash.

#24 ·
Here's what I've been able to dig up for fuel economy on the Holden Colorado Holden Colorado ute: review | carsguide.com.au:

2.8L, 6 speed auto, 4x2: 7.8 liters/100km = 31 mpg

2.8L, 6 speed auto, 4x4: 9.1 liters/100km = 26 mpg

Seems like a very large difference going from 2wd to 4wd, not sure why its so much of a difference as you would only expect about a 2mpg decrease. Ram is promising that their 3.0L in the brick-shaped 1500s will achieve 25mpg hwy; so I'm hoping the 2.8 in the new Colly will get at least 30mpg.

#23 ·
:th_woot::thumbup:

Yes!!! I new GM would come through in this!

I'd say the numbers will be around 200HP and 400TQ, which is nothing to shake a stick at. Should be a great power-plant for these trucks.

Now, I wonder what the price will be for the diesel upgrade, and if GM will offer it in the lower trim packages...

#26 ·
When people lose the warranty fear and start ditching the emissions crap you will prolly really see the mpgs go up. My dmax work truck gets 14-15. If I baby it i can get 16-17 highway. Remove emissions and a few power mods and guys are getting over 20 with them

#32 ·
Yup, I know how the game is played. I do similar in my wife's VW Tiguan. That think can knock down 32-34 MPGs consistently if you know how to stay out of boost.
On the two tanks where I broke 30 I never went over 60 mph, I spent the majority of the tank driving down interstate 301 in Georgia (no hills) for 5 hours total round trip most of the run at 55 mph (no A/C). The only time I speed is when i'm in a 35mph zone, then i'll go faster as to stay in top gear which I can usually do if I run about 43mph.
Never over 60mph. That answers it. Kudos to you for getting that high of MPGs in a truck. I'd imagine you could knock out a couple more MPGs if these things came equipped with a 6-speed (manual or auto). The 6-speed definitely helps in the wife's Tiguan. The sweet spot for it is right around 62mph, which is perfect for the highways we travel on.

#35 · (Edited)
I mean the body style. The colorado looks just like one of the mid sized gm SUVs on the road now, traverse maybe, I don't keep up with the ugly stuff being thrown out anymore lol. Although the new full sizes look nice with a lift..

The canyon doesn't look too bad but I like the rigidness of our body style better. I can see a 5.3 in mine blowing the doors off a diesel and no monthly note on a $30k mid size

Attachments

#39 ·
I think this is the 2.8 in the new Isuzu version of the truck, of course its not stock. Pretty bad ass though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.