2015 Chevy Colorado articles - Page 15 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Intros, TOTM, 355Nation News and Information > Colorado & Canyon News and Press Releases

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #281
Nation Affiliate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DuckFarmer
Re: 2015 Chevy Colorado articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
No one knows that. Well at least amount none of us. Chevy announced that there would be no shared motors with the half tons. GMC however did not announce the same thing. And there is a hell of a gap between the introduction of the two vehicles indicating more than just sheet metal alterations.

The GMC should be luxurious., and as such should provide a powerful gasoline engine for that stated goal of winning over conquest customers. Although, I'd like to also have the 2.8 diesel in the Canyon, it is a better fit in the Colorado truck for how that truck will be utilized.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I do agree with you. There has to be something drastically different between the two trucks, other than just trim packages to warrant separate unveil dates. I hope I'm wrong about the 4.3, but I just think it's a very, very slim change of that happening. If they do surprise us, I hope they still offer the 2.8 diesel as well. I don't know, something has to be a surprise if they're unveiling them separately like this. C'mon Sunday!!

|2007 GMC Canyon SLE | 3.7L I5 Auto | Crew Cab | 4x4 Z71 | Summit White |
| A.R.E. tuck cap | Westin running boards | Air Lift adjustable air springs | Bruno scooter lift | General Grabber AT2's |
DuckFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #282
Nation Affiliate

I don't think there HAS to be drastic changes between the 2. There never has been before.
And there aren't any between the full sizers.
Don't get your hopes up.
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #283
New To The Nation

Send a message via AIM to BahamaTodd Send a message via MSN to BahamaTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
I don't think there HAS to be drastic changes between the 2. There never has been before.
Don't get your hopes up.
There doesn't have to be drastic changes, but GM usually unveils the Chevy and GMC at the same time. With a separate reveal, they're going to have to have new content to talk about.

Or maybe they are mostly the same, and this is an experiment to bring more attention to the GMC brand rather than a "vehicle" that can be had in a Chevy or GMC trim. Better to test it out on these trucks rather than their bread-and-butter fullsizes.

2004 Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4 I5 Auto
33x10.5x15 BFG AT, TB Crank, 2" Shackles, Aluminum Skidz
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #284
Nation Affiliate

Well, we only have 2 more days to go, and usually photos break a day ahead of the reveal.
I can hardly wait.

Eagerly awaiting 2015/16 GMC Canyon LTZ/ Denali CC LB 2.8D 4x4
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #285
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up.
Yeah, but GM did say these two trucks WILL be different. But yet again, they always say that about the 1/2 tons. So who knows.

| A.R.E. tuck cap | Westin running boards | Air Lift adjustable air springs | Bruno scooter lift | General Grabber AT2's |
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #286
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
No one knows that. Well at least amount none of us. Chevy announced that there would be no shared motors with the half tons. GMC however did not announce the same thing. And there is a hell of a gap between the introduction of the two vehicles indicating more than just sheet metal alterations.

The GMC should be luxurious., and as such should provide a powerful gasoline engine for that stated goal of winning over conquest customers. Although, I'd like to also have the 2.8 diesel in the Canyon, it is a better fit in the Colorado truck for how that truck will be utilized.

You do know most people associate power with HP, that is what sells. Almost all the advertisements you see always state HP and sometimes TQ. So how will it look when they advertise the 300+ HP Colorado against the "Premium" 280 HP Canyon? Ya, didn't think about that did ya? Many people will be sitting there going "Why wouldn't I buy the cheaper yet more powerful truck if they are structurally the same?"

Still not sure why people are so quick to judge without trying it, especially when the power levels are so close and the LFX has a low flat TQ curve starting about as if not lower than the 4.3. Oh wait, this is based on the 500lb 3.10 geared traverse with different tuning and set ups. Where the LFX has a little less TQ the 4.3 has a little less HP

Like someone else said I hope I eat my shorts on this one but the magic 8-ball is saying "Outlook not so good". Partly because it wasn't a Chevy exec saying they weren't sharing an engine with the full sizers it was GM North American President Mark Reuss who speaks for both brands.

My thoughts on the seperate reveals is partly because of the anticipated Denali version as well as (and I am just throwing this out there because in one of his interviews he mentioned smaller turbo motors in the mid-size trucks) maybe a standard 2.0turbo from the ats as the base engine in the Canyon rated around 250/250?

Ya'll have a good weekend.

Tyler

Last edited by amxguy1970; 01-10-2014 at 04:30 PM.
amxguy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #287
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
I don't need a replacement ASAP, but I'm pretty impatient when it comes to buying a new vehicle. I'll have to see what curve-balls life throws me, but if I'm ready to buy this fall (as I should be) and there's no 4.3 Canyon, I'm heading to another brand as well. Sorry GM. Car engines suck in trucks.
What makes it a car engine? Is it the smaller displacement? Is it because one of the first iterations started off in a car? Is it because it makes its peak tq at 3400 rpm versus the 3900rpm of the 4.3? Just curious what makes it a car motor. Does that mean the Vette has a truck motor or does the 6.2 trucks have a car motor? Again, I am just curious...

Tyler
amxguy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #288
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFarmer View Post
I'll eat my shorts if they launch the Canyon with the 4.3. I really wouldn't get your hopes up over it, guys.
I'm not, honestly. I rank it as having the same chance of GM making the 5.3 available. They clearly only care about MPGs over performance, which is proven by the massive log-jam in the availability of the 6.2 in the full size trucks... They are pushing the hell out of 4.3 equipped Silverados/Sierras, and I'm pretty sure most people want the 5.3 in the big trucks.

So yeah, 3.6 will be it in the Canyon too. Same engine options across the board, in my opinion. They will only be different cosmetically.
Z Fury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #289
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxguy1970 View Post
What makes it a car engine? Is it the smaller displacement? Is it because one of the first iterations started off in a car? Is it because it makes its peak tq at 3400 rpm versus the 3900rpm of the 4.3? Just curious what makes it a car motor. Does that mean the Vette has a truck motor or does the 6.2 trucks have a car motor? Again, I am just curious...

Tyler
I'm honestly too stressed to pull up all the charts and research a valid argument, so you can win this one. I just don't see the 3.6 out performing a 4.3 in any possible scenario. Same reason I don't see a 5.3 out performing the 6.2.

Also, the 4.3 was a GM-declared "truck engine." Last I checked, the Colorado and Canyon are in fact trucks. Make a list of TRUCKS that the 3.6 is in, please (and don't list the soccer mom Lamdas...)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #290
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxguy1970 View Post
You do know most people associate power with HP, that is what sells. Almost all the advertisements you see always state HP and sometimes TQ. So how will it look when they advertise the 300+ HP Colorado against the "Premium" 280 HP Canyon? Ya, didn't think about that did ya? Many people will be sitting there going "Why wouldn't I buy the cheaper yet more powerful truck if they are structurally the same?"

Still not sure why people are so quick to judge without trying it, especially when the power levels are so close and the LFX has a low flat TQ curve starting about as if not lower than the 4.3. Oh wait, this is based on the 500lb 3.10 geared traverse with different tuning and set ups. Where the LFX has a little less TQ the 4.3 has a little less HP

Like someone else said I hope I eat my shorts on this one but the magic 8-ball is saying "Outlook not so good". Partly because it wasn't a Chevy exec saying they weren't sharing an engine with the full sizers it was GM North American President Mark Reuss who speaks for both brands.

My thoughts on the seperate reveals is partly because of the anticipated Denali version as well as (and I am just throwing this out there because in one of his interviews he mentioned smaller turbo motors in the mid-size trucks) maybe a standard 2.0turbo from the ats as the base engine in the Canyon rated around 250/250?

Ya'll have a good weekend.

Tyler
Tyler you stalker!

I get that an overhead cam engine makes more power per liter than an overhead 2 valve engine of the same displacement. Simply put, from a packaging standpoint, GMs in block cam engines are superior, all around. You can run a larger displacement engine and due to less friction, simpler packaging, etc actually have lower manufacturing costs, and better mpg, and of course the broader torque curve that 2 valve engines are known for. Also implementing DOD is much easier and cheaper.

But you guys have made it clear that you beleive that there will be no 4.3 and you are probably correct. But GM is going to lose about 35% of their buyers, mostly on the high end, if they don't provide it. I've had enough time to let it sink in, and although I have the cash to buy a new truck and the money is burning a hole in my pocket, I have began shopping for well used pre-08 Tundras (smaller) and newer Frontiers in anticipation of Sunday's disappointment on Canyon engine options.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #291
Nation Affiliate

So what superior engine does the Frontier offer over the 3.6 that GM will offer?
I mean, are the engines that come in the Tacoma and Frontier "truck engines"?

It seems a few of you are upset that GM isn't giving you exactly what you want, so therefore you will "punish" them by buying a competitors vehicle.
Look, I'm not happy about the new trucks, either. No RCSB, no manual trans behind the 3.6, and no ZQ8. But I'm damned sure not going to run out and buy a competitor's truck, that still won't give me what I really want, just to spite GM. Which seems to be what a few of you are proposing.
I'll just keep my '04 Colorado. If at some point GM makes what I want, I'll buy it. If not, I buy nothing.
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #292
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
So what superior engine does the Frontier offer over the 3.6 that GM will offer?
I mean, are the engines that come in the Tacoma and Frontier "truck engines"?

It seems a few of you are upset that GM isn't giving you exactly what you want, so therefore you will "punish" them by buying a competitors vehicle.
Look, I'm not happy about the new trucks, either. No RCSB, no manual trans behind the 3.6, and no ZQ8. But I'm damned sure not going to run out and buy a competitor's truck, that still won't give me what I really want, just to spite GM. Which seems to be what a few of you are proposing.
I'll just keep my '04 Colorado. If at some point GM makes what I want, I'll buy it. If not, I buy nothing.
I'm not advocating that anyone abandon GM if they don't like the Canyon/Colorado. I'm just stating what my plan is. And I know your Frontier/Tacoma comment wasn't directed at me, but those trucks are not even on my radar anymore. I would personally probably go with a full size instead, and the GM twins come in second to the RAM on my personal score card. I'd much rather have the smaller truck for maneuverability, but if the new Colorado/Canyon don't match my criteria, I'm going straight to the full size (Colorado/Canyon are the only mid size trucks I'm considering).

My current issue is my truck is not that functional for anything. It is fast, but gets horrible gas mileage, has a fairly low tow rating (6600 lbs), and is not a fun ride during Indiana winters. I crave ride height, better gas mileage, solid power, and towing capability. GM twins check all those boxes, but the cost is so much higher than RAM for no real added benefit. Although I've heard the GM twins excel at keeping you warm in the winter...
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #293
Nation Affiliate

For me, it's not about punishing GM. It's that I can get something much closer to my actual needs, for a fraction of the cost and a lot less commitment.

Do those trucks get the fuel economy and technology I would like? No. But at a third of the cost it's not really an issue.

Eagerly awaiting 2015/16 GMC Canyon LTZ/ Denali CC LB 2.8D 4x4
Old 01-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #294
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
GM twins check all those boxes, but the cost is so much higher than RAM for no real added benefit. Although I've heard the GM twins excel at keeping you warm in the winter...
I'd like to know where you're shopping for trucks were Ram is a much lower price... It doesn't matter what you buy; a 1/2 ton is going to be in the range of 24-$50,000 for all the major manufacturers, with your typical V8 4x4 crew cab being around $40K.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #295
Nation Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFarmer View Post
I'd like to know where you're shopping for trucks were Ram is a much lower price... It doesn't matter what you buy; a 1/2 ton is going to be in the range of 24-$50,000 for all the major manufacturers, with your typical V8 4x4 crew cab being around $40K.
- GM has price hiked their new trucks at least twice, while only throwing worthwhile incentivces at the V6 models (only way anyone will buy one).

- The Hemi 5.7 has much better power ratings than even the new 5.3. I'd have to go with the 6.2 to beat the Hemi, and that would be a pricey add-on.

- Even with GM employee pricing, a 5.3 CC Silverado would cost me $3500 more than a non-employee priced RAM with similar options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement