Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

2015 Colorado/Canyon on the streets of Detroit

6K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  rfross 
#1 ·
I was heading south on I-75 today through Detroit when I drove past this camouflaged Coly/Canyon. I see so many manufacturer camo test mules that I really don't pay too much attention to them any more but as soon as I blew past this guy I realized it was the new truck. So I backed off the gas and grabbed a couple of shots with my cell phone.

It's the crew cab and appears to be the long bed version:

See less See more
#10 ·
Ready for a leveling kit lol

#12 ·
The thing about the truck that also caught me by surprise is that it is pretty big. When I first noticed it as I was going by I thought it might be a future generation Silverado but then realized it was the Coly/Canyon. It looks significantly larger than the first gen Coly/Canyon crew cab and is way bigger than my std cab.

As DuckFarmer noted it does have a pretty steep rake to it, too. I was getting off an exit shortly after I snapped the photos so I didn't have more than 1/2 mile or so with it and no time to really study it.

I live less than two miles from the GM Tech Center in Warren and there are always lots of test mules running around. Now that they've released this truck I'll keep my eyes peeled and my phone handy for more sightings. In theory the camo should be coming off and the real deal should begin running around shortly. (I was seeing a bunch of the new C7 Corvettes on the streets around here - sometimes in groups of three to six - so hopefully we'll begin seeing more of the new truck). Assuming I get more photos I'll post them in this thread.

#23 ·
...I live less than two miles from the GM Tech Center in Warren and there are always lots of test mules running around. Now that they've released this truck I'll keep my eyes peeled and my phone handy for more sightings. In theory the camo should be coming off and the real deal should begin running around shortly. (I was seeing a bunch of the new C7 Corvettes on the streets around here - sometimes in groups of three to six - so hopefully we'll begin seeing more of the new truck). Assuming I get more photos I'll post them in this thread.
rFross,
I know what you mean about the mules, I see them too. They are all over MPG. :D
Heck GM even paraded the new full size trucks prior to release, driving all over the place in Sterling Heights. I hope they do the same with the Coly/Can.
Ever drive down George Merrelli street? On the west side there seems to be a dumping ground for new GM vehicles. Its gated but anytime I drive down there I look to see any new vehicles.

#14 ·
I was really disappointed I didn't see any mules when I was up in Michigan over Thanksgiving. Although I did see a tractor trailer full of new Corvettes at a rest stop in Georgia, which was cool.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in how they keep moving everything toward 'bigger'. Current fullsize trucks are freaking huge, and honestly our Colorado's now aren't all that much smaller than the full size trucks of the 80s and 90s.

Kind of miss the old S10 days, but I doubt they'll ever bring something small like that out again. Would be neat, though, an S10 sized truck with a modern 4-banger would be a real potent little vehicle. I'm sure fleets would eat it up, especially if it was cheap.

Interesting tidbit, according to Wikipedia and other sources the 2015 Crew Cab Colorado (with the short bed) is 212.3 inches long, the 2015 Silverado Crew Cab is 230 inches (with the short bed). Wikipedia actually claims the Colorado is 3" wider, not sure if I buy that, other sources put it at 74.3 inches and the Silverado at 80, so it's a big narrower.

Still, it's right in line with it's competition, the Tacoma and Frontier; and if Wikipedia is to believed, it's only about 3" longer than the 355 Colorados. I figure it's a safe bet the new Colorado won't fit in my garage, since my current one barely does (freaking Florida garages are tiny. Two cars my ass. maybe two Fiats, if I don't want to open the doors).

#15 ·
I'm sorry guys, but that thing is fugly!!!

#16 ·
That may be the GMC....

The tail lights are totally different than the new Colorado, even the HMSL is different. On the Colorado, the tail lights have squarish reflectors, and the reverse light is rectangular in shape, and doesn't have the bulge on the side for the marker light. The HMSL on the Colorado is also a rectangular design with the bed lights to either side, while in the above photos the HMSL appears to be a LED strip above the bed lights.

#26 ·
As a matter of fact, when they were doing testing for the Camaro before it's release, all the Camaro boards were up in arms when they saw pics of the car with Pep-Boy looking lights. It got so bad that Scott Settlemire had to clear up what was happening.
CamaroZ28.com even created a new smiley that said "these are not the real lights".

Manufacturers fit cheapo lights to the cars for earlier testing. The final versions come much later, almost to the point where the pilots start getting churned out.

I'm convinced it's a Colorado.

#27 ·
Ewww lol the new 355s look ugly hopfully the chassis is the same as the old style like 2013 and down so I can buy one with the 2.8 duramax and swap all my fenders over haha cause I don't think you catch me driving one of those "new" things the way they look.... IMO

#28 ·
Same can be said about your truck. You know what they say, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. The new truck has generated a ton of positive feedback, much more than the old 355.

To answer your question about the chassis, no, they aren't anywhere close to being the same. Nothing will fit. The new truck is abour 6 inches wider on a chassis more closely shared with the new silverado than the current global colly (which is much different than the 355).

You could probably get the duramax to fit, but the tranny tunnel might not hold the 6spd behind it since the 355 uses a 4 spd auto. Could be the first one though and make some new motor mounts...

Tyler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.