Left turn signal not working bulb good? - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > 2004-2012 Colorado / Canyon Forum - First Generation Tech Area > Aesthetics > Electrical/Lighting/Security

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Nation Citizen

Contributing Member Contributing Member Public Service 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Left turn signal not working bulb good?

Ok so last night my ballast for my hids went out (got much dimmer) i don't know if it has something to do with this or not but worth a try.

My left turn signal isn't working correctly the rear works and both right front and back do as well oddly both DRLs work on the left and right side when the head lights are on but my ballast on the left side is out (dimmer) so my light is much dimmer on this side now. really dont know what to do all sigles flash reguler but i get the trouble light on the cluster. what should i look for to be wrong?

Thanks ahead of time for the help....

Also gotta Shout out to unnck what up boy... hope you and your girl are rolen good still
Jinx3953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Going Deaf

Contributing Member NESM 09 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Re: Left turn signal not working bulb good?

have you tried replacing your bulb?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Nation Citizen

yes i have replaced the bulb check elec flow with a meter at pepboys and seems no one knows yet so i come to the pros....
Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Nation Citizen

sorry to be pushing on the subject but i only have net for a few more hours thanks guys any help is better than none...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Nation Master

Military Service Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity Skitz Award NESM 09 NESM 10 

check the wires? check the connectors/harness?

you've probably already done all that though.

you do know it's a dual filament bulb, right? that would explain the DRL lights working, but not the turn signal part.

black letters > green letters
greg larkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Nation Affiliate

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jmarine81

fuse? turn signal itself? perhaps you bent a connector if it worked before this only seems logical....

04 Chevrolet Colorado (gone traded in for Ford F150 FX4)
08 Ford F150 FX4 (picking up 9/29/11 4:30pm est.)
06 Ford Fusion (current)
Jmarine81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Nation Affiliate

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jmarine81

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg larkins View Post
check the wires? check the connectors/harness?

you've probably already done all that though.

you do know it's a dual filament bulb, right? that would explain the DRL lights working, but not the turn signal part.
i was gonna say the bulb...but it seemed common sense

04 Chevrolet Colorado (gone traded in for Ford F150 FX4)
08 Ford F150 FX4 (picking up 9/29/11 4:30pm est.)
06 Ford Fusion (current)
Jmarine81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx3953 View Post
Ok so last night my ballast for my hids went out (got much dimmer) i don't know if it has something to do with this or not but worth a try.

My left turn signal isn't working correctly the rear works and both right front and back do as well oddly both DRLs work on the left and right side when the head lights are on but my ballast on the left side is out (dimmer) so my light is much dimmer on this side now. really dont know what to do all sigles flash reguler but i get the trouble light on the cluster. what should i look for to be wrong?

Thanks ahead of time for the help....

Also gotta Shout out to unnck what up boy... hope you and your girl are rolen good still

Ok, so your drl's are working fine. But your ballest and the turn are both not now...Ballest went out at teh same time your turn signal went too? If so....i doubt it just happened like that. Maybe something came unplugged or something. I know the ballest was not tied into your turns...but maybe the ballest isnt bad at all. Maybe the ballest got hot and melted into one of the wires causeing a short thats only strong enough to stop the light from workin..but not blow the fuse? I know...long shot, but hey, what do you have to lose? Check all wires, every one of them. It should not be a fuse or anything as you simply don't have seprate fuse's for turns.
You said you checked the voltage with a meter right? So what did it say? You should not have had 12 constant to your bulb filament that lights up for the turn sig. Only 12 constant to the drl filament.....So check it again and make sure that you are getting 12 constant to the drl side, and a pulse 12v to the turn side. If you do get the 12v pulse when you turn that side on then you have a bad bulb or maybe connector. If your not then trace back from the bulb to the fuse block or wherever checking until you find a short or something....If that aint it and everything looks fine with no shorts. Then your switch is the next likely culprit.

I know this seems like alot but electrical troubleshooting is very easy when you think about it like this...electricity needs a path to and from the device to perform work. And with an automobile its even better...all you gotta do is get 12v power to the device...ground is everywhere so thats done for you already. So in reality you only have one single wire that needs to be traced out and thats it! So take your time, look for shorts, and if everthing looks right, the well my friend...it has to be the switch imo. Or maybe but I doubt it the actual relay itself. But very unlikly for that to go out. Either way good luck, hope this helps.

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Nation Citizen

Ok tommorow i will test it out and run the wire from the bulb back. I never checked the fuse although i pulled both sets out and slapped them in a diffrent rado and they worked so fuse will be my first shot. I have a elec that has the day off tommorow ill get him to help again guys THANKS 355 and banditz

jmarin81 ya the first thing i did was change all bulbs i think once this all pans out i will find out about the ballast if it woks great if not it will go back to DDM and then ill get to the led king on here and get setup with some leds sence ive puled the thing apart twice and redid wires like i said i knew i was overlooking the obvious
Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Nation Citizen

ok checked all fuses went through all twice none look bad going to see if its getting power but if i get the same results as i did at pep boys then really i'm stumpped. at pep biys it shows it gets power and i checked and its the right bulb so we will just see today ill let yall know
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ok...well I dunno then boss man. Check for power inside the bulb holder....not the wire itself. But if you removed them and tryed in another car then that should be fine... oh well, just make right turns from now on...

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement