Replacement Battery - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Aesthetics > Electrical/Lighting/Security

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replacement Battery

It's time to replace the battery in my '05. I'm still running the original battery. From what I've seen by calling around, the correct size battery for my truck is about $120-$140. I took a tape measure to the existing battery, and compared it to a couple other vehicles I have. Can I just get a battery that has higher CA/CCA than the stock battery and put in there? It shouldn't hurt the alternator, right? I'm thinking about a battery that's in the same range as the Optima Red Top. Thanks.
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Re: Replacement Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
It's time to replace the battery in my '05. I'm still running the original battery. From what I've seen by calling around, the correct size battery for my truck is about $120-$140. I took a tape measure to the existing battery, and compared it to a couple other vehicles I have. Can I just get a battery that has higher CA/CCA than the stock battery and put in there? It shouldn't hurt the alternator, right? I'm thinking about a battery that's in the same range as the Optima Red Top. Thanks.
Go for it! The BIGGER the better!

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Led Dude

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to captainrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodulation View Post
Go for it! The BIGGER the better!
Yelp for sure!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Nation Elite

355 O.G. Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM 355Loyalty NESM 11 

i went with a redtop and love it, havent had any issues and its a beast. somehow i had a mopar battery in my truck when i bought it that was WAY too small for our trucks...still got almost 4 years out of that one though haha

05 Chevy Canyon (no I'm not stating the name wrong) - Traded In, apparently never to be seen again...
08 Trailblazer SS awd - the new hawtness.

Northeast members be sure to check out our local site: www.NEC355.net
lkout4trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Nation Affiliate

Chapter Founder Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K USASM2012 SESM 11 TXSM 11 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Go for it
Old 08-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Nation Citizen

Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer NESM 09 NESM 10 

More amps is just fine. The only thing to worry about is the height. Don't want to damage the hood!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
New To The Nation

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to get some opinions from people who had done this already. Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
New To The Nation

Ended up getting an EverStart MAXX group 34 size from Wal-Mart for $77. Removed the battery box, installed the battery, and it fits great. I thought about getting an Optima or a Super Start AGM from O'Reilly's, but decided since the only accessory my truck has is an aftermarket CD changer I probably didn't need a fancy battery. I've got 900 CA and 770 CCA, so I should be good to go now.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Chicken Dinner!

TOTY TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity Skitz Award 355Loyalty 200K USASM2012 NESM 09 NESM 2013 SESM 09 SESM 10 SESM 2013 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage

Welcome where in Ky Dave?

Tea oh tea why
mwcky2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Yeah I go with either the Optima red tops or something from Interstate....gotta love the 84 month warrenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Chicken Dinner!

TOTY TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity Skitz Award 355Loyalty 200K USASM2012 NESM 09 NESM 2013 SESM 09 SESM 10 SESM 2013 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADI5 View Post
Yeah I go with either the Optima red tops or something from Interstate....gotta love the 84 month warrenty
Jeremy, you need a nap, dude just said he bought one.....

Tea oh tea why
mwcky2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

No I cuaght that Mark, just saying!

Still have 2 hours left

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcky2204 View Post
Welcome where in Ky Dave?
Northern KY
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Nation Affiliate

SESM 10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
Ended up getting an EverStart MAXX group 34 size from Wal-Mart for $77. Removed the battery box, installed the battery, and it fits great. I've got 900 CA and 770 CCA, so I should be good to go now.
I did this also. Can't go wrong with the price, warranty, or power with that battery.
jgriffi87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

LOL, i figure i NEVER leave anything on overnight, or play the stereo without the truck running...So that being said, i just bought a little ole baby battery and save the weight. Its strong enough to turn the motor easily, but no where near what the stocker was. I have a dvd stereo system pushin 2400 watts. But I never have had a problem at all. Had this like this since I bought the truck. About two years now. I paid I think $40 for the battery at wal mart? No wait, I think it was less than that on sale. LOL. With the motor running everything is run off the alt. that being said you can even remove the battery from the truck with it still running and never have an issue till you need to restart it. Yes I know its not as good as havin a huge ass battery but hey, it works great for me and I have never noticed a single light dimming, or any other ill effect. Oh well, to each his own.

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #16
Nation Master

Nation Elite Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 

I just got a new battery today, wish i new wat i was looking for....went to autozone, and the guy said they only had one battery that was for the truck so i got it....It was $94 dollars....I guess thats not to bad....it was a duralast
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #17
Member's Technical crew

LOL, yeah thats what the asshat said about my truck. I went to advance auto, the cat behind the bar said whoa...your battery is a very expensive one! I said oh yeah...why? He said cause it was some kind of special battery and I cracked up. Then I went to wal mart and paid less than $40. I will go out tomorrow and check, reciept is still on the side of the battery. A battery is a battery, as long as you dont need anything special, or have a huge drain on it, then you will be fine. Red tops, yellow tops, all those are 12 volts just like any other battery. CCA, and CA are what matter on any battery. And unless you plan on taking your truck into the lake you dont need a damn deep cycle battery. ONLY way i could understand it is if you have a huge and i mean huge power system drain. meaning aftermarket lights like five at least, a huge amp, aftermarket head unit, and things like that. Only then if you use those for periods without the truck running! ONCE a truck is running, the alt provides all the power you need. Our stock alts. provide 100 AMPS. Theres no way you will ever need that much unless you really do some heavy mods to your ride. Batteries like those are made for people who go above and beyond...or decide to run their radios and lights or whatever without the engine running for extended periods. A normal battery will do just fine for anyone else. Oh, and yes....the red, yellow tops are of a sealed and un spillable type, so in a crash they cant leak. BUT if your in a crash bad enough to worry about leaking, your trucks probally gone anyways.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Member's Technical crew

Sorry about the rant...just dont like it when people belive in the hype and get duped into buying something they dont need.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #19
Nation Master

Nation Elite Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 

well 2 amps, all speakers replaced, subs, off road light, gauges....interior led lights...I got alot of stuff hooked up to it...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
Member's Technical crew

Subs, well the amp. And off road lights are what your drain is. led's draw a ton less. HID's draw less. gauges...those dont draw much..

Point is i just dont want some newb seeing this tread and thinkin oh my god!!! I have to buy a $200 battery or my truck will not crank! Holy hell how am I gonna do that!

Just wanted to post the other point of view thats my main point here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement