I want to disable passlock permenantly!! I have searched. - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Aesthetics > Electrical/Lighting/Security

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (10) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 AM   3 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Nation Affiliate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I want to disable passlock permenantly!! I have searched.

Okay as many people do I have the intermitent passlock issue where every couple of weeks at the most ideal moments I am waiting 10 minutes to start my truck. It has always jsut been the ten minutes and then its fine. I have searched and found only one thread that I tried to revive on CFans on cutting some wire under the dash, but I don't feel like it was thourough enough or had enough people do it to justify going through with it. I am wanting to know if there is a cheap way to fix this and if all else fails can a PCM4Less tune turn it off. I know they say they turn off VATS, just wanting to make sure this is the same as passlock. Also sidenote how are PCM4Less and HPTuners different? Why one over the other. Thanks in advance!
Wheelin&Dealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Re: I want to disable passlock permenantly!! I have searched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkistZ71 View Post
Okay as many people do I have the intermitent passlock issue where every couple of weeks at the most ideal moments I am waiting 10 minutes to start my truck. It has always jsut been the ten minutes and then its fine. I have searched and found only one thread that I tried to revive on CFans on cutting some wire under the dash, but I don't feel like it was thourough enough or had enough people do it to justify going through with it. I am wanting to know if there is a cheap way to fix this and if all else fails can a PCM4Less tune turn it off. I know they say they turn off VATS, just wanting to make sure this is the same as passlock. Also sidenote how are PCM4Less and HPTuners different? Why one over the other. Thanks in advance!

HPTuners can disable it.

Shouldn't cost more than $35.00 to disable the VATS.

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
SLOTHMASTER

355 O.G. Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity Skitz Award 355Loyalty USASM2012 NESM 09 SESM 09 SESM 10 SESM 11 SESM 2013 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodulation View Post
HPTuners can disable it.
I did not know that.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Nation Affiliate

I thought I had read that they could, I just didn't know if there might be a cheaper option for the time being. Unless I'm mistaken HPTuners software will run you and upwards of $500 right? If PCM4Less can turn it off for a $189 tune that's what I was curious about. And hence my question what is the difference in the two tuners. I plan to do some minor mods here soon. CAI Exhaust and maybe a couple more and wanted to try and wait till I had all of that complete before I tuned.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
SLOTHMASTER

355 O.G. Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity Skitz Award 355Loyalty USASM2012 NESM 09 SESM 09 SESM 10 SESM 11 SESM 2013 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Pcm4less is like a gremlin and hp tuners is godzilla.

Either way, get all youre drivetrain mods done first before you tune.

I think i read somewhere that passlock can be disabled by cutting a wire under the dash...i dont remember where i saw that tho.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Nation Affiliate

Yea I read it on CFans but only one guy had done it and another in the thread said he did it but his passlock still killed his truck. So I'm guessing if this even works that he cut something else

Last edited by Wheelin&Dealin; 08-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Nation Citizen

TOTM Winner Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity 

I need to know this too, subscribed*
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Premium Member

Calendar Spread 

find the two wires that go to the passlock sensor (i think its part of the ignition switch) and measure the resistance of the sensor, cut the wires going to the sensor, then install a resistor of the same ohms. that will bypass the sensor.
1970 Chevy Suburban 3 Door - New Project
Low_S-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Nation Citizen

How-To CM 355Loyalty 200K SESM 11 

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

I made a how to for anyone wants to replace it. It's on cfans ill post the link for anyone that wants it

Mods:
ATV Tune by Gerry Supermod SuperSparks MBRP Exhaust 18" hyper silver extremes rims DDM 35watt 5k HID lows Pinoneer head unit Kicker CVR sub Rockford Fosgate 1000watt Punch Street Edge Door Speakers K&N Airintake Maxxtrac 3" lowering coils 3" blocks+removed leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerad11 View Post
Your truck just forced me through a second puberty.

Thank you.
Ghost355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_S-10 View Post
find the two wires that go to the passlock sensor (i think its part of the ignition switch) and measure the resistance of the sensor, cut the wires going to the sensor, then install a resistor of the same ohms. that will bypass the sensor.
This does not work with passlock. That is how to you turned off vats.

You could buy a universal remote start bypass, where you hid the key within the module. You could wire it so that it stayed on and the passlock system would always see the key and never arm. the disadvantage to this is that you loose a key and you will have a slight battery drain. There is a way to cut one of the wires on the passlock system but it keeps the pass lock light on the dash on all the time. Search for disabling passlock II, which i believe the colorados have, on all different types of gm forums. If there was a real easy way to do it im sure car audio shops would do it to make remote start installs cheaper. ive been installing for almost 5 years and we have never gotten around it without a bypass.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Nation Affiliate

Ok so VATS is different from PAsslock II...So is that why whoever did the how-to on disabling it still had the passlock issue? And how much does HPTuners run for a tune and all?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Nation Affiliate

Bringing this back up as I am frustrated with my truck for not starting this morning

"Ok so VATS is different from PAsslock II...So is that why whoever did the how-to on disabling it still had the passlock issue?"

Also I talked with a guy @ PCM4Less that said they can send me a PCM with VATS turned off for like $50 because he said if its turning over but not starting for 10 minutes that its VATS...can someone break down Passlock II vs VATS
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Nation Affiliate

Also when I start the truck even when it does start. Cold starts always laga couple seconds before it fires...any ideas on why or if this is related.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Well if you had a tune done they can do that......one tune will do it all for you......dun son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Nation Affiliate

Yea that would be good but I am in a fix in that I want to wait to do the rest of my mods before tune and in the meatime truck is still choking on me. Just wish I cud cut that wire like mentioned before and buy myself some time. Would be greatly helpful if someone knew for sure if that would work and what the heck is the diff in Passlock and VATS??!!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
Nation Affiliate

What about the resistor method. Anyone know anything about this...I'm not just real electrical savy and I don't have access to a tool to check voltage or what ever has to be checked. Are these kind of tools fairly inexpensive (less than $20)? How do you go about installing the resistor. I hate my truck not starting!!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
Premium Member

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 

If you don't really know electrical just have a tuner shut it off instead so you don't fuck up some wiring on accident.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
New To The Nation

I bought my truck last february and it came installed with a remote start system. I was stoked! Until one day when i remote started the truck and all it did was crank over but not start. Then I had to wait a while.. and it finally started. So i just quit using the remote start, but i'd really like to get it usuable before winter here. Is that the same thing thats happening to my truck? Passlock or VATS or what?
counterbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Nation Affiliate

Sounds like it is probably the same thing. I let you know if I get mine fixed and how to do it. Supermod can turn it off with HPTuners but I haven't got a quote yet on price. The other method is installing a resistor to overide the Passlock which is what I'm looking into if the tuner route is too much.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
Nation Affiliate

FYI I am sending my PCM to OTTP to have it tuned on bench top and VATS turned off. For $50 you can't beat that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement