V8 Engine Swap kit - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > Engine Swaps

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 AM   5 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
V8 Engine Swap kit

I have a 2005 Colorado Z71 LS Crew cab and i want to put a v8 in it!!! The 3.5 is nice but I want more power I am about to put a 5 inch lift and 33"s and i want to do this without compromising the towing capacity and i still want to be ably to stomp it to pass someone and not need a mile stretch to do it!!! Is there an engine swap kit?? I want to put the 5.3 in it, which I believe is what comes in the v8 model!! I will appreciate any advice!!!
1smokybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
maniac mechanic

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: V8 Engine Swap kit

Call up Current Performance wiring. He can set you up with everything needed. There is a member here who also does wiring harnesses I think his name is 04colyzq8 his actual name is Jaime. I don't think he makes mounts though.

Last edited by FixxxerKH202; 04-13-2012 at 06:15 AM.
FixxxerKH202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
cdk
Premium Member

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 355Loyalty TXSM 11 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage

yea man, just check the v8 swap threads, no kit, but current performance supplies most of the stuff, hit up a salvage yard for engine w/ computer or even ebay, then get ready for lots of work.
i'd like a v8, but just don't have the patience for doing a swap like that.
cdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
I Vanquish Boredom

Contributing Member 

OP - pm 04colyZQ8 (Jamie)

He can adapt all of your computers to accept a small block (Gen 1 (ex. 350ci) or Gen 2 (4.8, 5.3, 6.0L)). He can also custom make you new wiring harnesses...give him a pm and he'll let you know what you're in for.
Offroad Toy --> 1977 K5 Blazer, mods coming soon
CanyonAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
New To The Nation

I know that there is know large company that makes kits, but, however the reason that I asked the question is because after looking at doing an engine swap on my Ford Ranger, I learned that there are smaller companies, or individuals who have made the motor mounts, and etc... needed to do an engine swap and they usually will share there blueprints or make the neccesary parts for you. I know how to do all of this but I do not have the equipment to do the machining and welding neccasary. If i do this I would look at putting the v8 that is offered I'm the Colorado, and my question was what do I need and who if anyone makes it!!! I am new to the forum and in all honesty I am new to anything Chevy period, I bought my truck because 1. I like having a smaller crew cab truck it BC it has more cab room and the smaller, lighter truck does better off road than a larger truck, 2. Because I got an amazing deal on it, and 3. Because although ford does make a crew cab ranger they do not, nor are there any plans to offer it in the U.S. I am not trying to piss anyone off nor am I trying to step on anyone's toes!!
1smokybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM MTS 355Loyalty USASM2012 WCSM 09 WCSM 10 

Wow.. clean up on isle five!! This thread is a disaster.. we need to learn to take disputes to private messages. To the OP sorry you had to go through this.

OP I can help you out. I have you covered for the wiring harness Programming etc.. I also know alot about what works and what doesn't, most of what I gained from other "helpful" members on this forum, and through building my own truck.

Read my build thread many pages I know, but there is a lot of good info in there!

making room for a V8 engine 4 banger coming out! FINISHED added videos!

Here is a good starting point.

list of parts needed for V8 Swap

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

What motor do you plan on using? 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L 6.2L, or what ever misplacement you build! What transmission 4L60E, 4L80E, 6L80E, T56, stock 5sd or what have you?

"Like A Rock"
HP tuning at efituning BC

R.I.P 2004 Chevrolet Colorado reg cab Victory Red ZQ8 2.8L/4.8L 5spd

Imported 2004 Chevrolet Colorado LS Victory Red ZQ8 3.5L Auto/ repowered with 4.8L

2013 U built trailer (rear half of R.I.P)
04colyZQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM MTS 355Loyalty USASM2012 WCSM 09 WCSM 10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxxerKH202 View Post
Call up Current Performance wiring. He can set you up with everything needed. There is a member here who also does wiring harnesses I think his name is 04colyzq8 his actual name is Jaime. I don't think he makes mounts though.
Pretty much all I can't help you out with is mounts, CP (current performance) Does good work as well both on there mounts and harness's, feel to purchase from who ever you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonAB View Post
OP - pm 04colyZQ8 (Jamie)

He can adapt all of your computers to accept a small block (Gen 1 (ex. 350ci) or Gen 2 (4.8, 5.3, 6.0L)). He can also custom make you new wiring harnesses...give him a pm and he'll let you know what you're in for.
Thanks -Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_O_Z View Post
Ls motors are gen III and up lol
True..but other then that he is spot on!

"Like A Rock"

Imported 2004 Chevrolet Colorado LS Victory Red ZQ8 3.5L Auto/ repowered with 4.8L

Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Premium Member

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 

Cpwire had motor mounts and a modified ignition switch which you really don't need if you understand wiring. You don't need the colorado lh8 v8. Any gen III our gen IV works with some minor changes. Headers from v8 rado our tbss manifolds.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Nation Advocate

Military Service Contributing Member 

Garage

Man some of you have some short tempers... He is a newby and looking for help. Whats the first thing you do when you break something? A search? Or a post? He wants help maybe searching didn't pull it up and he skipped it have a heart. Like most said a complete 5.3 is your best bet its a lot of work though. I have a used 5.3 with trans in my storage unit but I am waiting until after my wedding to do it. The harness is a little pricey for a bunch of wire to me.
barman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by barman84 View Post
Man some of you have some short tempers... He is a newby and looking for help. Whats the first thing you do when you break something? A search? Or a post? He wants help maybe searching didn't pull it up and he skipped it have a heart. Like most said a complete 5.3 is your best bet its a lot of work though. I have a used 5.3 with trans in my storage unit but I am waiting until after my wedding to do it. The harness is a little pricey for a bunch of wire to me.
Yeah agreed, way to welcome newbie, we have all been there at some point!

As for the wiring, yeah I can see that you would feel that way, hard to see whats under all that loom and tape..lol. Takes a lot to build a harness, not just cutting a bunch of wire.. although that in itself takes a lot of time, then measure the lengths, cut and tape them neatly together so they don't get twisted! There is over 200 pins to individually be crimped on, and hand soldered, then they need to be installed into the proper pin in their connectors. Even just installing the split loom and taping it up, takes a surprising amount of time. On top of that you have the cost of the wire, the pins, the connectors, and the wire loom.

"Like A Rock"

Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Premium Member

Lifetime Contributing Member 

Said another way - it ain't the wire one is paying for. It is the knowledge that it took to make the wire right.
zqv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Nation Advocate

SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zqv8 View Post
Said another way - it ain't the wire one is paying for. It is the knowledge that it took to make the wire right.
I was going to post the exact same thing.

Good wiring is something that isn't appreciated until you've experienced bad wiring.
limequat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by zqv8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limequat View Post
I was going to post the exact same thing.

Good wiring is something that isn't appreciated until you've experienced bad wiring.
That's a much simpler way of saying it. It's like anything if you don't know it, you look at it and think that's simple. I love watching how it's made.. they put that much work into a pop can?

"Like A Rock"

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
Premium Member

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 

Making harnesses it's definitely tedious work. Have to check and double check before slipping the pins into the plug. One mistake and you could be tearing your hair out lol
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_O_Z View Post
Making harnesses it's definitely tedious work. Have to check and double check before slipping the pins into the plug. One mistake and you could be tearing your hair out lol
exactly.. is that why the windshield wipers come on, with the headlights?

"Like A Rock"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement