Difficult cold starts, trouble code p0171 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Difficult cold starts, trouble code p0171

okay so i got a code p0171 and i thought i fixed it when i found a loose hose, but i am having alot of trouble starting when the engine is cold, its almost like im not getting enough gas and i have to pump the gas pedal till it starts and then rev the engine when it does so it doesn't cut out, once the engine is a little warm, no problems..
garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Premium Member

TOTM Winner Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Difficult cold starts, trouble code p0171

i have the same problem with the code po171= ( running Lean Bank 1), i have change fuel filter, fuel presure regulator, O2 sensor the up stream one, the 2 hoses that connect to air box, the Mass Air Flow sensor, i check the fuel prusure it's fine to and still the same but mine starts fine and runs fine with the engine light on
Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrick View Post
okay so i got a code p0171 and i thought i fixed it when i found a loose hose, but i am having alot of trouble starting when the engine is cold, its almost like im not getting enough gas and i have to pump the gas pedal till it starts and then rev the engine when it does so it doesn't cut out, once the engine is a little warm, no problems..
Yours is the first case I have seen where i Do NOT think its a air leak. I think I would go look at the o2 sensor wire itself...see if its broken or burned through or anything. Once you see if it is, then go from there. Check both of course. AFTER you have checked them...then and only then would I change the upstream sensor first. Thats the one most likely to go bad. The code is letting you know there's a problem. And the truck is likely falling back on its factory set "base" mix to keep her running. Not optimal as you can see..but will let the owner get her to a dealer to have it fixed. Post up what you find.

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by (N.L.C) View Post
i have the same problem with the code po171= ( running Lean Bank 1), i have change fuel filter, fuel presure regulator, O2 sensor the up stream one, the 2 hoses that connect to air box, the Mass Air Flow sensor, i check the fuel prusure it's fine to and still the same but mine starts fine and runs fine with the engine light on

Your issue is a leak. Simple as that. You should have posted up and you could have saved yoruself alot of cash. In fact...you couls sell your old o2 sensor to the other OP of this thread. He most likly needs it. You did not. Fuel filter had nothing to do with this at all...but hey, simple maintance. Fuel pressure reg...yeah, again not connected with this.

Two hoses that connect...thats at least in the ball park. The MAF? Really? Holy shit you have spent a bunch of cash.

Post up a reply asap about what ind of air box you have...is it stock... or a aftermarket or homemade.

But before you do, go outside and do this...look at the little hard line...is it cracked or not connected at one end? AND check the hose fitting that goes on the valve cover. Is it snug or loose? May as well throw a clamp on it to keep her tight.

After you do this, post up your find.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
New To The Nation

Well i haven't looked yet, but the cel turned off and i haven't had the problem lately, but then again it hasn't been as cold lately, but if it was an o2 sensor wouldn't a code have come up for the sensor, and wouldn't i have the problem all the time not just warmin it up? I'm not saying your wrong i'm just trying to learn a thing or two
garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Member's Technical crew

The bank one lean code is for the o2 sensor...it includes several different causes.

BUT if it went off, then thats a tell tale of a air leak. A o2 sensor is normally bad or its good. Not a on off kinda thing.

If it were the o2 sensor then it would run rough at first then after warming up it would be ok...not good but ok...

With it getting better, I am starting to think it may have been a air leak...its really hard to just tell you exactly what it is over the interwebz...all I can do is point you in the right direction. Its either a air leak...or it could be a o2 sensor. The first one.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
New To The Nation

Sounds like the same issue I just started having. Engine light came on Friday on the way home from work. Saturday morning, starts OK, start to pull out of garage and barely kept running. Almost didn't make it back in garage.

Checked later and same condition until engine warmed, then seem to run fine (engine light still on though).

Dealer has had truck all day and can repeat the conditions when not warmed up, but seem befuddled at the cause. They want me to start throwing $$$ at fuel system overhaul, etc but not sure if that will fix.

Mentioned intake valve extended warranty bulletin and they are checking into that now.

2006 Colorado, I5, 27500 miles
hdtvincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Member's Technical crew

Man if you took it to a dealer and they can't seem to find the issue, I think I would go to another dealer. Not throw money at it like they want you to do...that very rarely solves the problem.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Nation Citizen

Military Service Calendar Spread NESM 09 SESM 09 

Send a message via AIM to Tonka_Truck

I put a K&N cai on and my truck and had nothing but trouble when it was on. One of the problems it caused was trouble starting when it was cold out. Don't know if you have anything like that on there that might be giving you trouble, just a heads up if you do.

05 Canyon ext cab, Tonka Truck (totaled)
09 Sierra Crew cab, Boring for now
Tonka_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Premium Member

TOTM Winner Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K 

Angry Re: Difficult cold starts, trouble code p0171

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditz View Post
Your issue is a leak. Simple as that. You should have posted up and you could have saved yoruself alot of cash. In fact...you couls sell your old o2 sensor to the other OP of this thread. He most likly needs it. You did not. Fuel filter had nothing to do with this at all...but hey, simple maintance. Fuel pressure reg...yeah, again not connected with this.

Two hoses that connect...thats at least in the ball park. The MAF? Really? Holy shit you have spent a bunch of cash.

Post up a reply asap about what ind of air box you have...is it stock... or a aftermarket or homemade.

But before you do, go outside and do this...look at the little hard line...is it cracked or not connected at one end? AND check the hose fitting that goes on the valve cover. Is it snug or loose? May as well throw a clamp on it to keep her tight.

After you do this, post up your find.
I have the airraid style airbox been in the truck 2.5 yrs,

go outside and do this...look at the little hard line...is it cracked or not connected at one end? AND check the hose fitting that goes on the valve cover.

which line? and the fitting are new to. and today i just install map & colant sensor and no change more$$$$$ for notthing
Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post
Mentioned intake valve extended warranty bulletin and they are checking into that now.
Doesn't sound as if they performed the leakdown tests, etc described in the service bulletin to verify condition, but service rep said the service manager after consulting with technical support agreed that I need the new heads covered under the special warranty coverage and have scheduled such on their nickel.

Happy to get the better heads, but not sure I like the fact that a major engine component has to be replaced, especially since it sounds as if they are not sure that is the cause.....
hdtvincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Member's Technical crew

Hey bro, after we talked last night, were you able to get that hose yet and fix this? Or how about the intake? If you need anythig again, just give me a ring bro....phones always on.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
Premium Member

Didn't make time for my truck today, but i have your number if i need it i will call you bud thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Member's Technical crew

alright man...well good luck then.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrick View Post
Hi, did you find the problem?? I have the same one, like not enough gaz on startup, I need to rev the engine 10 second when I start my truck the first time of a day and its all right after that.. If it dont touch the pedal, the rpm drop and it stall.. my code P0171 is gone since 3 day but the engine still not starting right... :/

Last edited by jroy500; 11-21-2012 at 11:05 PM.
jroy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement