Oxygen sensor /O2 sensor Problem - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Premium Member

Lifetime Contributing Member 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oxygen sensor /O2 sensor Problem

Ever since I had my cylinder head replaced at the Chevy dealer I have been throwing an O2 sensor code (P0141). I replaced Both O2 sensors and the code keeps coming back every day or so. The fuel economy is terrible as well so I know there is an issue. I just can’t figure out what the issue is.

Just a bit of past information…before I discovered the TSB head issue on our forum, I was throwing sticks at the cylinder misfire issue via the feedback I was getting from Autozone folks (I know… dumb move on my part ) One guy stated my truck was running lean so I put in a bottle of 104 fuel injector cleaner plus octane boost. I now know this was a bad move because the dealer told me there was evidence of the 104 in the old head and on the O2 sensor….all in all, I was ready to replace the sensor due to receiving this info.

Two days after the head was replaced...I threw the o2 code. I replaced the sensors and it still came back. I also took it to the muffler shop to see if there was an exhaust leak, especially near the manifold. I read on-line that a leaking manifold can cause issues with throwing an O2 Code. Nothing was found.

Being that I replaced both sensors, have no exhaust leak, and I’m on my 4th or 5th tank of gas since the head was replaced….does anyone have any clue to what could be the issue. I checked connections and the sensor as well.

T.N.A…(that’s Thanks in Advance by the way)

Jae
Colorado Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
maniac mechanic

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Oxygen sensor /O2 sensor Problem

check your wiring, if you replaced the sensor then that is basically all that is left. That code is not for the o2 sensor itself but for the heater in the o2 sensor so they may have cut one of the wires for the heater circuit in it.
FixxxerKH202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxxerKH202 View Post
check your wiring, if you replaced the sensor then that is basically all that is left. That code is not for the o2 sensor itself but for the heater in the o2 sensor so they may have cut one of the wires for the heater circuit in it.
Thanks Justin...The few inches of exposed wire (wire not within the plastic wire tubing) has electrical tape wrapped around it. Just to be clear...are you saying I need to unwrap and uncover the wires going to the O2 sensor connector? How much of the harness should I try to expose?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
maniac mechanic

Correct you should have a harness coming from the back of the cylinder head wrapped in spiral wrap that the connector for the o2 sensor comes out of. You just want to focus on areas that look like they have been crushed or have been chafing on something.

My guess is when they installed the new cylinder head they pinched the harness and cut one of the wires. If you look at the connector coming from the engine it should have 4 wires once you unwrap it. They will be these colors Tan/White stripe, two are Dark Green, and one Pink. The Dark Green and Pink wires on the top two terminals of the connector are the heater circuit wires. The Pink wire is the power wire and the Dark Green is a reference to tell it when to turn on.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Premium Member

O.K...Cool. I see the O2 wiring is in the same harness as the coil wiring then all the wires head to the front. I guess I will un-tape and uncover as much wire as possible so I can see the actual wires.

My question is what is my action if I do find a wire that looks crushed / what if I don't?

I feel my wallet trying to hide.

Thanks Justin
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
maniac mechanic

If you have a cut wire just do a repair on it with a crimp sleeve or just solder it up and electrical tape it up.

Also I forgot to have you check the fuse for the o2 sensor, so do that before you unwrap the harness. I feel like an idiot for not saying that first because it could be as simple as that, I forget about fuses sometimes.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Premium Member

Will do....I will look in my manual for the O2 sensor fuse. Hopefully it's the fuse. If not the fuse, hopefully I find a cut wire or something. It scares me to think about neither of those two being an issue.

Thanks Justin

I will post my findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement