Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Black Chevy Symbol?

26K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  captainrab 
#1 ·
I've seen many trucks with a blacked-out Chevy logo. I was wondering either how to do that, or where I can get one. The gold one, in my opinion, doesn't look all that great on my black truck. >.<

#3 ·
i was able to get the bowtie off without removing the grille. its a bit of a pain though. and your arms gotta be small enough. i cant do it anymore haha.

theres to 10mm nuts holding the bowtie on. just take them off and pop the bowtie off the grille assembly. and paint as you wish.

IMO...if i had a black truck i would paint the bowtie black with a red outline :)

#6 ·
<.< >.> Umm...What about for those of us that have no painting experience what so ever? That's why I was wondering if there's just one I could buy. But, as for the small arms, I don't qualify for that. >.<

#7 ·
Holy FUCK!!! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use 100 grit paper. That is WAY too coarse. I sand BONDO with 80-180 grit sandpaper, so why would anyone use a grit that coarse when all you're looking to do is scuff up the surface so paint will stick!?

400 grit is the lowest I would recommend, but even that is more than you'd need. Really, all you need is a Red Scuff Pad available at your local Auto Paint Supply store. Just scuff up the bowtie till it's uniformly dull....

If you're unsure about your spray painting abilities, maybe you can either take your bowtie out, or find one at your local junkyard, and take it to a body shop and have them spray it black for you. I can't imagine them charging you any significant amount of money for such a small piece.

#11 ·
Just go get a rattle can and give it a go...if it turns out shitty the first time you can always sand it down and give it another go...
exactly... i did this with no experience and found a way to fuck up so i just sanded it down and resprayed and it turned out good.

#13 ·
Hmm...I might buy that after I get the money. From what it looks like, it's pretty much just a sticker that overlays the gold one. Which way do you guys think would be best: Paint or that overlay?

#18 ·
Just paint it man.

It'll be a great time to learn to spray if you can't already. :lol:

Remove the two 10mm nuts from the back of the grille, lightly scuff it, spray a few light layers of paint, a few coats of clear and you're good to go.

It's almost impossible to fuck up. Just take it easy with the can, don't go all crazy with it and lay it on like it's butter or anything. lol.

#22 ·
I don't have the money cuz I don't have a job right now. I'm supposed to be getting my living check tomorrow, and I'll have about $200 to spend. The only problem is that has to last me until next month, so I can't spend a whole lot. I'll hafta check at Advance or someplace around here to find the paint. I need to get some touch-up paint for the scratches on the body anyway.

#26 ·
More like at least $20. I didn't bring any of my tools with me, besides a small screwdriver set. Didn't have any room in the back of my truck after I had all of my more essential stuff loaded in it. If I would of had a smaller toolbox, I probably could of, but, I don't. Plus I don't really have any place to put it in my dorm room. But, I might bring it with me when I come back after my break in a couple months.

#32 ·
Buy one from streetbeat and have it powdercoated, it looks way better than painting the stock one. ;)

Or, if you're on a budget (checks original post - yup, budget) then go with duplicolor paint...do not use krylon clear or krylon anything for exterior projects, it's not meant to handle the elements.

Good luck. :)

#34 ·
I didnt even scuff mine. I cleaned it with thinner then sprayed a couple coats of gloss black rattle can on it. Been on there for the last 12k miles with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.