Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

How To: Repair brake switch.

118K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  dhectorg 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
J-Bo

Project Name
How-to repair brake switch

Project Description
Repairing the dreaded dead brake switch with very little effort

Skill Level
Low

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L

Tools Needed
Sand paper

Project Time
10 minutes or less

Project Cost
Sand paper

When the brake switch fails, your brake lights stop working along with other related items including the cruise control.

Yes GM has issued another recall on the good ole brake switch again. (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V310000) 2004 and 2006 year models.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...list=RQ09001&ModuleType=Vehicles&type=VEHICLE

I had mine replaced under recall back in 2007 shortly after I bought the truck. Now in September 2009 it died again. I would normally take it to the dealership and have them replace the switch as most of you should. However I rely heavily on my truck for my job. So I needed a fix this weekend. I pulled the one from the brake lever in my truck and took it apart.

• Disconnect the battery
  • Press the brake pedal with your hand and twist the switch (the larger of the two), then pull it out.
  • Disconnect the lead going into the switch.
  • Seperate the two halves, exposing the contacts and freeing the spring inside. (Careful not to lose the spring) (leave the push pin inside in the depressed position)
  • Pull the thicker of the two leads out. (not the copper one) You may need to bend the copper lead back (a small amount) to allow the primary lead room to pull out. Notice the lump on one side. It may have carbon built up on it, causing it to not make good contact to the copper lead.
  • Now pull the copper lead out and notice the v folded piece has a metal lump as a contact that rubs the primary contact to complete the circuit that allows your brake lights to burn. This piece is most likely blackend as well and or even somewhat melted.
  • Sand both contacts lightly to remove any buildup that may cause it to not make good contact.
  • Apply a small amount of dieletric grease to both contacts to reduce carbon build up.
  • Reassemble the switch in reverse order.

This corrected my problem. Basically the contacts in the switch had built up too much carbon scoring to allow proper conduction of electricity. The fact they had too much carbon build up is why they are under recall. The newer switches most likely use a different contact metal to prevent this issue. (We hope)

Some of you guys may not be so lucky. If the contacts are in too bad of shape, you may need to replace the switch. I advise that even if you clean yours up and get it working to take it to the dealership and have them replace the switch under the second recall.

For now, I am up and running with working brake lights!

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: How-To: Repair brake switch.

nice write-up and a good easy fix for once. was this a prob on 07 and up? never heard about it before now. :shrug:

#9 ·
man, i'm havin the same issue. I tried both switches and i did need to sand off some carbon, but it still didn't work.

#14 ·
Good post, thanks. I had no brake lights so I went to my dealer to have the switch replaced and they said they didn't have time. It was 11:45 and they close at 1:00, that's an hour and 15 minutes. I bought the part from them for $12.00, got home by 12:15, pulled the truck in the garage, swapped the switch out in 1 minute. I kid you not, it took 1 minute. I'll always love my Chevy's but the dealers are a disgrace.

#15 ·
I may have to do this soon. When I had my last inspection I had NO brake lights....but a little fiddling with the switch and got them working. So here's hoping it holds out a while. I didn't see this writeup until now, but I may very well try this next. Since my truck is an 07, we'll have to see what goes on. :)

#16 ·
I think GM now has an unlimited mileage warranty on the brake switches. If ya PM me the last 8 of your VIN I can tell ya. I am a GM service Advisor

#33 · (Edited)
I don't know about those having this done for the first time, but my interaction with GM today was not great. I have a 2005 Colorado that has no brake lights as of a couple days ago, so I contacted my local dealer and they said there was no active recall. I then called Chevy HQ and they said the recall was done on my truck by the previous owner and they wouldn't do it again. She just flat out said I was one my own. I know it's a simple repair, but it's the fact that GM won't stand behind their product that bugs me. This should be a free replacement for life of vehicle because it's a poorly designed part. It's no wonder they need a gov't bailout every time they mismanage themselves into a hole.

#17 ·
#09186B: Special Coverage Adjustment-Brake Lamps Inoperative or Continuous Illumination - (Mar 14, 2011)
Subject: 09186B — SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT – BRAKE LAMPS INOPERATIVE OR CONTINUOUS ILLUMINATION

Models: 2004-2009 CHEVROLET COLORADO

2004-2009 GMC CANYON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Part Information, Service Procedure, and Warranty Transaction Information sections in this bulletin have been revised to include the replacement of burned out brake lamp bulb(s).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prior to performing this repair, check to see if the vehicle is involved in Safety Recall 06030. If the vehicle is involved in Safety Recall 06030 and the repair has not been performed, perform the repair using Safety Recall 06030 (labor code V1508). If the vehicle is not involved in the safety recall or has already had the safety recall performed, proceed with repairs using this Special Coverage bulletin.
Please discard all copies of bulletin 09186A, issued October 2010.
Condition

Some customers of 2004-2009 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles may comment about the loss of brake lamps or continuous illumination of the brake lamps. This may be caused by contamination in the brake lamp switch. The performance of the brakes is not affected. Also, if equipped, they may comment about the loss of cruise control.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to install a new brake lamp switch assembly. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

if it helps anyone

#19 ·
good deal :thumbup:

#23 ·
This probably would have worked for me if I hadn't broken the post on the button when I pulled it apart ... d'oh.

Anyone know a good, reliable online outlet to get a new switch? All of the local parts stores tell me they can't get them, and the local dealership wants $65 for it.

#24 ·
That explains why I couldn't use cruise control on my way to/from vegas lol, good to know.

So if I go to my dealer and tell them to look up special coverage adjustment #09186B pertaining to saftey recall 06030, they should be able to find it right? Hopefully they dont look at me like i'm trying to order a taco from In and Out.

Good write up tho :thumbup:

#27 ·
Going with the fact that I have no knowledge of your mechanical experience or how familiar you are with your truck.

The switch location is item #5 shown in this link: BRAKE PEDAL MOUNTING | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

1. Remove the electrical connector from the switch.
2. Rotate the switch counterclockwise to remove. Note how the plastic retainer is installed.
If the plastic retainer is not broken it can be reused on the new switch.
3. While holding the brake pedal FIRMLY aft (towards the steering wheel), insert the switch
and push it all the way in until it stops and turn it clockwise until you hear a click. This
accomplishes two things, it installs the switch and adjusts it at the same time. The brake
pedal must be RETAINED in the FULL AFT position while installing the switch. Failure to
do so can result in the brakes dragging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.