How To: Use Factory XM Antenna with Aftermarket Headunit - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > How-To/Tutorials/Reviews/Service Bulletins > How-To: Lighting & Electrical

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Nation Affiliate

How-To CM 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How To: Use Factory XM Antenna with Aftermarket Headunit

Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or itís ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
DustinJ88

Project Name
How To use Factory XM Antenna with Aftermarket Headunit

Project Description
For better reception over the use of a magnetic antenna,
this how to will show you how to utilize your factory installed
XM antenna without the need of purchasing an adapter

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Pliers
Side Cutters
Mounting Tape

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
Effort

Before performing this mod, you'll need an XM-ready headunit and the XM Interface Adapter made for your brand of headunit. This link is for Alpine: Amazon.com: Complete XM Direct Radio System for Satellite Ready Alpine Receivers CNPALP1 + CNP2000UC: Automotive

Follow the instructions in the package as far as setting up the Interface Adapter and connecting to your headunit. In place of the magnetic antenna, we're going to be connecting the factory antenna instead.

First, remove passenger-side access panel, lower glove box past retaining clips (pushing sides in allowing it to open further), and remove center bezel along with your headunit. You'll now need to locate the factory XM module.

Use a pair of pliers to pull the yellow adapter apart from the factory XM module. This will break the plastic yellow adapter but it is not a big deal as we're going to cut the yellow shroud away anyways.

Now, pull this cable out through the glove box opening. There are several places where the cable is clipped to the dash frame. Remove the clips so you have slack to work with. Use a pair of side-cutters to break away the yellow shroud. Careful not to damage the connector inside as that will jeopardize your connection and sound quality.

Plug the remaining connector into your aftermarket XM module:

Connect new XM module to Interface adapter:

Connect Interface adapter to headunit. Use foam mounting tape to mount new interface adapter and xm module inside dash.

Reinstall headunit, center bezel, glove box, and access panel.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Quadruple O.G.

355 O.G. TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity NESM 08 NESM 09 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Re: How To: Use Factory XM Antenna with Aftermarket Headunit

Nice...I wish my truck came with factory xm. I hate those little magnetic antenna's
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Members Technical !@#!@#!@#!@#!@#

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity MTS 100K SESM 09 SESM 10 TXSM 11 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Nice write up! Been using the magnetic antenna on the dash using a piece of velcro on the removable screw cover for about 4 years now though.

- Jody -
Quote:
Knowledge and finger vomit are easily confused over the internet.
Slo86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Nation Citizen

SCSM2012 

Sweet. Finally did this. Nice not having an extra retarded antenna on the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquivarious View Post
If there's a will, there's a sawzall.
ced_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Nation Affiliate

How-To CM 

Did you notice a difference in sound quality ced? The change for me was incredible.

Slo If you are content with using the magnetic 1 but you still want it off your dash, just place it on top of the metal frame surrounding the passenger airbag
Old 05-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Nation Citizen

SCSM2012 

I did notice a difference in sound. Seems much better and better signal. Next weekend when heading out to the river will be the real test. At least I'm not getting the whine in the background that used to be there.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Nation Affiliate

How-To CM 

Not only the wine but driving under trees or by a semi on the highway would make the signal go out. Now the only issues I have are under bridges or like bank drive thru's but that is expected
Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Nation Citizen

SCSM2012 

Bridges aren't even phasing mine now. So nice to have awesome clean signal again.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Nation Affiliate

How-To CM 

If I'm going 90 it doesn't phase it lol. Any slower and it gets a delayed quick blip. Glad to hear this worked for ya
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Nation Citizen

SCSM2012 

Glad you posted how to do it

I wanted to do it for a while. Only issue I had was getting my fat hands in to disconnect it from the original box. Got a few scraps and cuts on my arm getting in there.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Boosted V8

Purple Heart Lifetime Contributing Member WCSM 10 

so if I want to install a Kenwood and use Kenwood's Sirius adapter:SIRIUS Package for Kenwood Get SIRIUS satellite radio reception on your 2008-up Kenwood multimedia receiver at Crutchfield.com you think the factory XM antenna will work
ed-flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
Darth Vader

TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 100K 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-flip View Post
so if I want to install a Kenwood and use Kenwood's Sirius adapter:SIRIUS Package for Kenwood Get SIRIUS satellite radio reception on your 2008-up Kenwood multimedia receiver at Crutchfield.com you think the factory XM antenna will work
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a lifetime sub. to Sirius, but have to pay for XM. Sounds funny since they merged, but I was told I need Sirius equipment to honor my previous subscription. I've been paying for XM for about 2 years now on factory radio, and I'm planning on buying a new head unit soon.

BlackZQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Monkey Slut!

TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K WCSM 10 SCSM2012 SCSM 2013 SCSM 2014 

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Ed, have you tried it yet. I'm in the market for a new radio and want to do the same thing. XM sucks donkey balls.

RIP my friend.

Joe "Stealth_Canyon" Desgrange
1984-2014
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM MTS 355Loyalty USASM2012 WCSM 09 WCSM 10 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

yeah ed curous as well new ride (hopefully) has the factory xm radio Onstar and antenna, I want to put my kenwood from my old truck in it, and might consisder a Sirius subscription.

Otherwise amybe it is possable to get 3.5 mm aux installed on the factory radio?

"Like A Rock"
HP tuning at efituning BC

R.I.P 2004 Chevrolet Colorado reg cab Victory Red ZQ8 2.8L/4.8L 5spd

Imported 2004 Chevrolet Colorado LS Victory Red ZQ8 3.5L Auto/ repowered with 4.8L

2013 U built trailer (rear half of R.I.P)
04colyZQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Monkey Slut!

TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K WCSM 10 SCSM2012 SCSM 2013 SCSM 2014 

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Anyone done the Sirius version of this yet?

RIP my friend.

Joe "Stealth_Canyon" Desgrange
1984-2014
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Nation Affiliate

WCSM 09 

Garage

I have a sirius unit, not kenwood, the SIR-GM1 adaptor. If you break off the yellow locking connector, the mini-coax inside just plugs right in. Alternatively, you could buy an adaptor cable/extension cable to do the job.

I do lose signal with overpasses and treelines sometimes. I feel that the signal I had when I used a "real" sirius magnetic antenna and starmate receiver instead, was better. Turns out there is a technical reason for this.

For those of you Howard Stern fans, you might have heard part of this when he interviewed the "inventor" of sirius a number of years ago, Martene. Turns out that when the guberment agencies mandated a bandwidth for satellite radio, they split the band range in half. Half was awarded to XM, half was awarded to Sirius. The same mercury antenna technology is used to recieve the signals, so it can pick up the whole band, but the actual brand antennas are somehow tuned/attenuated to pick up the high or low part of the bandwidth better than the other style. So you might get better reception with a correct branded antenna, but it works. I'm way out on the West part of the country and the 3-4 drops I get, I only miss 20 seconds or so in a 30 mile commute.

I'd consider switching, but I'd have to deal with a hole in the roof. I'd sort of like to find a factory roof mount from a Sirius stock equipped vehicle (maybe a F150?) and see if that antenna could mount and cover the holes. There's 2 holes actually, one for the wire and one for the securing bolt. The antenna base has a rubber gasket to seal it.
glamdring70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
Darth Vader

TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 100K 

Old thread, I know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2005 View Post
Anyone done the Sirius version of this yet?
I finally got around to doing this today. The factory XM antenna plugged into the Sirius tuner box kinda loose, but it worked. I did do some driving around, worried that bumps would make the wire come out. So far it's fine.

I did not pull the antenna wire back to the glove box. I kept it where it was and put the Sirius box under where the XM box is. Also, I did not break the clip. I just pulled out the white piece and slid the clip off incase I need to plug the wire back into the XM box. As far as losing signal, it didn't happen to me when I was driving tonight. I know some spots that would cut out when I had XM, so I'll see if it happens more, or the same with this set up soon.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Premium Member

Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 355Loyalty 100K SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

finally got around to connecting the factory xm to the Sirius box, i box off the outside pieces the around plug that were supposed to go into the Sirius box, so completely removed the yellow plastic, and flipped the cable around, and used 2 layers of heat shrink to secure the connection. its not coming apart, safe to say. plugged both wires into the Sirius box, and was up and running. took less time to load signal now to get some double sided tape, and zip ties to mount it for good. can't believe i ran out of zip ties. haha,

thanks to Dustin for write up.
bjonas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
Nation Affiliate

For you guys running Sirius.I'd bet you could hit up a junk yard and grab a Sirius antenna off a ford ranger.Should all mount up the same.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
Darth Vader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebanditz71 View Post
For you guys running Sirius.I'd bet you could hit up a junk yard and grab a Sirius antenna off a ford ranger.Should all mount up the same.
I thought about that, but currently I have Sirius with the factory XM antenna without any problems. If it aint broke, don't fix it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audio, chevrolet colorado, electrical, gmc canyon, howto, xm antenna