How To: Install HID kits - Page 5 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > How-To/Tutorials/Reviews/Service Bulletins > How-To: Lighting & Electrical

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (6) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #81
Formerly Metal_EMT

Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Public Service Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K NESM 10 NESM 11 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Re: How To: Install HID kits

They do have mounting brackets now, that would have been helpful when I installed mine. $4 isn't bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto
All thanks to a finicky drive by wire system with more PCM's, BCM's and PMS than the fuckin space shuttle.
HK_Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #82
Nation Affiliate

NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 

i just received and installed a set of replacement HID bulbs from ddm tuning. i ordered bulbs for my lows and fog lights. 9006 for the lows and 9005/9045 for the fogs. ddm is now shipping a hybrid 9005/06 bulb fits in both the fogs and lows. if i encounter any problems with the install, i'll be sure to post up.
dandy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #83
Nation Citizen

SCSM2012 

They had plenty of the slim ballast when I went into the store and picked them up. I would suggest calling them to confirm. I had ordered the Raptor kit for pickup originally and when I got done there they told me the raptor kit was backordered. Even though the site and my order confirmation said nothing about it being back ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquivarious View Post
If there's a will, there's a sawzall.
ced_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #84
New To The Nation

Contributing Member 

Ok thanks that helped a lot. It'll probably be a few weeks before I order mine anyway.

Would you recommend getting the mounting brackets?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #85
Nation Advocate

I used industrial velcro from Lowes. 2x4 inch. Clean area with Simple Green. Apply to ballast, while together, then remove film on back and press to metal. Not sure the glue will not come off before the velcro will give so removing after install might be fun, lol.
Shop VELCRO Black Industrial Strength Strips at Lowes.com

But then again, the brackets are $4, so why not.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #86
Formerly Metal_EMT

Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Public Service Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K NESM 10 NESM 11 MESM 11 

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy36 View Post
i just received and installed a set of replacement HID bulbs from ddm tuning. i ordered bulbs for my lows and fog lights. 9006 for the lows and 9005/9045 for the fogs. ddm is now shipping a hybrid 9005/06 bulb fits in both the fogs and lows. if i encounter any problems with the install, i'll be sure to post up.
I got those bulbs to use in the lows and highs. I thought I got 2 9005 kits. Spoke with them to confirm and they work as both. They worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF150 View Post
I used industrial velcro from Lowes. 2x4 inch. Clean area with Simple Green. Apply to ballast, while together, then remove film on back and press to metal. Not sure the glue will not come off before the velcro will give so removing after install might be fun, lol.
Shop VELCRO Black Industrial Strength Strips at Lowes.com

I personally used a good number of zipties on mine, mounting brackets would have been cleaner. (not that the rest of my under hood is mud free or anything.)
But then again, the brackets are $4, so why not.

Quote:
All thanks to a finicky drive by wire system with more PCM's, BCM's and PMS than the fuckin space shuttle.

Last edited by HK_Titan; 02-12-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #87
New To The Nation

im just kinda hoping in here but i just went to my local light guy got two kits for 40 bucks total plus some jdm as fuck bulbs for my hellas and just threw it all in the same way i did on the si and the z with out taking anything apart, no cutting, and not unscrewing anything. oh and the ballasts i just threw on the battery cover and my intakes heat sheild with some double stick tape
tylergrgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #88
Premium Member

Contributing Member How-To CM USASM2012 

I put 9005's in my non extreme fog housings and the bulbs are a little loose in the socket, I need to find a way to shim them up or make them a little more snug fitting in the housing cause it makes them all out of adjustment since they can move just a little bit. also, my 9006 low beams look like they move around sometimes when Im parked when they are on lol

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e285/r_cracer65/signew_zps54bdc035.jpg
07_ZQ8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #89
New To The Nation

Well, I new here but I've got some hints on the high beams...

How often do you actually use them? With HID's, both stock and non stock in my last 4 cars I've never bothered with high beams.

My mini cooper S had OEM HIDs, if you switched to high beams they were just a halogen bulb, and hardly worth using.
My Silverado had a 6000K aftermarket HID kit and I dont even know if it had high beams bulbs, but the truck was lifted 13", so I could never tell.
My wifes Nitro has an aftermarket HID kit (12000K) she chose the color, but its not as horrible as I said it would be. But that kit came with a tiny bulb attached to the back of the HID thats kinda sad, but it does light up when you hit the high beams..

I guess the point is, high beams take awhile to warm up, and most of the time by the time they do warm up its time to turn them back off.
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #90
Nation Advocate

Military Service Contributing Member 

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_ZQ8 View Post
I put 9005's in my non extreme fog housings and the bulbs are a little loose in the socket, I need to find a way to shim them up or make them a little more snug fitting in the housing cause it makes them all out of adjustment since they can move just a little bit. also, my 9006 low beams look like they move around sometimes when Im parked when they are on lol
Pop off the adapter on the back part of the bulb it should just unsnap and get some plastic solo cups cut the bottom to fit the adapater nice and tight then put a cutout for the bulb and wires to poke through in the middle. Take your bulb with the cup bottom inserted and insert your bulb snap your backing plate aka adapter plate back onto the housing I gaurantee you it will be tight as all getout. Plus you get a little more water protection
barman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #91
Nation Advocate

SESM 11 SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I installed my ddm hid kit this morning, man what a difference. Like night and day. I got the 35w 5000k for the lows. I test drove it a little while ago, and everyone thought I had my brights on, till I flashed them. You can see what seem like forever straight out, so powerful, so bright. This is the best mod I ever done, to any of my trucks. Money very well spent. Im already looking at the highs, then fogs.
bryanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #92
Nation Citizen

the highs are pretty much useless after the brightness of the lows and fogs IMO, but also make sure you adjust them correctly. my adjusment was off a little and I corrected it tonight and even that made a hell of a difference.
MotorCityRado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #93
Formerly Metal_EMT

Garage

highs are pretty much useless unless there is NO traffic for a long time. By me, if there's no cars and i hit the highs, then by the time the highs are charged up, there's a car and I have to shut them off again. I do have the high/low mod done so I dont lose my lows when I switch and have everything go dark on me.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #94
New To The Nation

I installed my DDM Hids a couple days ago. I Love them except when im using the high beams I keep blowing fuses. they will run for an hour or so then fuses blow. Ive done the high low beam mod, I thought it might be that so reinstalled the halogen high beam lights and no problems with blowing fuses. Anyone have an ideas?
OzzMang149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #95
Nation Affiliate

Where does everyone get their HID kit from? Want to get the same that everyone is using and don't have problems with. Thanks in advance.
BKlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #96
Nation Elite

Nation Elite 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKlat View Post
Where does everyone get their HID kit from? Want to get the same that everyone is using and don't have problems with. Thanks in advance.
Ddmtuning is where the majority of people got theirs but ddm has become slow lately so people are starting to get kits from ebay
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #97
Nation Affiliate

Thanks. I've seen some on eBay but wasn't sure how good they actually were. And if they just crapped out in 6 months. I'll have to call them and see what time timeline is to getting them to my door. If not. Any idea what kind from eBay or member selling them?
BKlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #98
Nation Elite

Nation Elite 

Use the search feature and look up hid kits and find one talking about kits from eBay. I'm not sure what companies are good but there has been some possitive reviews from people who got kits off eBay on here in the past week or so
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #99
Auto-X !@#!@#!@#

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

Ok so I just recieved my 8k hids for hi/low. Do I still have to do the reverse polarity?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #100
Nation Citizen

Contributing Member How-To CM Public Service 355Loyalty 

yeah you still have to reverse it
jrotundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chevrolet colorado, gmc canyon, hids, high intensity display, how to