Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

How-To: Crankshaft Variation Learn Procedure (Tech2)

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  colbyjohnson1994 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
colbyjohnson1994

Project Name
How To: Crankshaft Variation Learn Procedure

Project Description
When swapping motors, replacing crankshaft position sensors, or tuning; sometimes a P0315 code will pop up that requires you to do a Crankshaft Position Variation Learn sequence. This can be done with a Tech2 scanner, which is what I will be showing you how to do.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L

Tools Needed
GM Tech2 Scanner

Project Time
5 minutes

Project Cost
Renting or borrowing a Tech2 Scanner

The steps shown in this video will effectively remove the P0315 code that may occur when swapping motors, tuning, or replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

Yay, no codes!

Sponsored by SuperModulation Tuning Services

See less See more
2 1
#5 ·
well done Colby

#8 ·
Colby, I got lucky and I got the original PCM from James that already had my info flashed on it, so there was no re-learn required.....thankfully.

But I'm waiting on the ABS DTC thing your working on. Come to find out the ABS/Brake issue kind of fixes itself when you remember to plug the ABS module back in; I never plugged mine back in when I did the 5 spd swap. I had unplugged it to get the clutch master cylinder installed......... there were a few F' Bombs involved

#9 ·
Those kinds of things happen we tear lots of things apart lol.

Yea, I'm planning on doing a few scenarios with the Tech2 to really produce a good informational video on using the Tech2 to diagnose ABS.

I would really like to simulate the ABS sensor gap not being set right (like the most common reason for the front ABS sensor's not working), but I don't want to screw up my own to do it :lmao:

#10 ·
Maybe I'll give mine a love tap with a rubber detail mallet and see what happens :hide:

BUT I'll wait to scan the system first

Really makes me want to buy a Tech2 now...... I'm getting ready to buy an all in 1 for BMW since I do so much work on them. Their hand held will handle CELs, ABS and SRS(airbags)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.