How To: Flush your Power Steering Fluid - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > How-To/Tutorials/Reviews/Service Bulletins > How-To: Performance & Maintenance

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
2009&10 SESM Coordinator

Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread SESM 09 SESM 10 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How To: Flush your Power Steering Fluid

Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
jackedupcanyon

Project Name
How-to flush your power steering fluid

Project Description
How-to flush your power steering fluid

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2007
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes
Body Lift: Yes

Tools Needed
Channel locks and/or pliers
3/8" clear tubing - roughly 12" or so
3/8" barbed fitting capped on the end
3/8" clear tubing - roughly 3 – 4 ft or so
3/8" barbed fitting on both ends
Milk jug
Drain pan
Power steering fluid (full system capacity approximately +/- 48 fluid oz or so)
Hydraulic lift

Project Time
1 hour or so

Project Cost
~$30 - $40 total give or take

Project Procedure
Step 1 - Locate the power steering pump and fluid reservoir.

Step 2 - Take your short piece of 3/8" tubing, insert the barbed fitting and cap the end. (Bottom)

Step 3 - Take your long piece of 3/8" tubing and insert the double barbed end fitting at one end. (Top)

Step 4 - Locate the metal supply and rubber return lines on the steering pump reservoir.

Step 5 - With a drain pan under the truck, disconnect the rubber return line and quickly slide the short piece of 3/8" tubing capped on the end over the return connection on the bottom of the pump/reservoir. This section of tubing will fill up with the old steering fluid in the reservoir. If you have had your truck 2 or more years and have never changed your power steering fluid then it will probably look dirty but that is why you are flushing it. Picture below is with the tubing sticking out under the fender wheel well. The fluid color in the bottle was not accurately shown in the picture so I photoshopped the fluid in a syringe for a better representation. Only 2 years on the steering fluid in the truck and as you can see it was almost black.

Step 6 - Quickly slide the long piece of 3/8" tubing with the double barbed fitting and slide it over the other end of the return hose tubing. Put the end of tubing with no fitting into a milk jug or other container to catch the old fluid.

Step 7 - Take the cap off the steering pump reservoir and lift the front of the vehicle up where the tires are off the ground.

Step 8 - Turn the steering wheel a few cycles back and forth to pump the old fluid out of the system. It does not take many turns. Continue to do this till the fluid starts to spit and sputter.

Step 9 – Add new fluid to the reservoir and turn the steering wheel a few cycles back and forth to pump the new fluid thru the system. Continue to do this till you see new fluid starts to come out of the tubing. The fluid will continue to lighten up as you flush the old fluid out. Do this till you are satisfied that old fluid is flushed out enough.

Step 10 - Quickly disconnect the long tubing from the return line, short piece of 3/8" tubing capped on the end and reconnect the existing rubber return line to the bottom of the steering pump reservoir.

Step 11 - Turn the steering wheel a few cycles back and forth to pump the fluid thru the system. Lower the vehicle and check the amount of fluid in the steering pump reservoir. Add as needed.

Step 12 - Again lift the front of the vehicle where the tires are off the ground and turn the steering wheel a few cycles back and forth to pump the fluid thru the system.

Step 13 - Lower the vehicle and re-check the amount of fluid in the steering pump reservoir. Add as needed. Repeat steps 11 and 13 until the fluid in the reservoir is within the acceptable range.

Step 14 - DONE! Drive the vehicle for a day or so and recheck. Add fluid as needed.
Steve, 2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 Crew Cab | 3.7 I5 - Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | Custom blurred grille | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | HP Tuner Pro wideband tuned by ME! | AMSoil fluids FTW!
jackedupcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Quadruple O.G.

355 O.G. TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity NESM 08 NESM 09 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Re: How To: Flush your Power Steering Fluid

Very Cool. Nice write up
Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

Nice write-up and thanks for the info. I may try this!

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Big Brother Owner

OG Lifetime Contributing Member Public Service Calendar Spread NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 

Send a message via AIM to opie652003

Very good, havent thought about doing this but I guess I should now after 49,500 miles. Mine probably looks black
Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
I fell over the edge

355 O.G. OG Lifetime Contributing Member NESM 08 NESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 

Send a message via AIM to JaysOnTheEDGE Send a message via Yahoo to JaysOnTheEDGE

while your doing the power steering dont forget your brake fluid and clutch fluid if applicable
JaysOnTheEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
2009&10 SESM Coordinator

Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread SESM 09 SESM 10 

Thanks. Power steering fluid is often over looked. Thought it could help several members out. You are correct Jay, do not forget the brakes. Brakes and power steering fluid every 2 years!
Steve, 2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 Crew Cab | 3.7 I5 - Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | Custom blurred grille | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | HP Tuner Pro wideband tuned by ME! | AMSoil fluids FTW!

Last edited by jackedupcanyon; 03-28-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Its too hot in Texas!

Military Service TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Public Service Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity TXSM 10 

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Stealth_Canyon

wow I have never even thought of flushing any of that!! Nice write up man. My truck is three and a half years old but has sat in storage off and on for long periods at a time. I think I only have 22,xxx miles. And that ia with many trips back and forth from Texas to Ohio!
Stealth_Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista

Nice write up on how to maintain an often neglected fluid.
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Damn something else to do, but needed! Nice write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Nation Elite

355 O.G. Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Advocate Public Service NESM 09 

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Great write up but I can't for the life of my understand what the short tube plugs into. I get that it screws onto the pump but what does the other end do?
1st Cat Delete | MBRP 409 Turndown | FRAM Boost+RamAir | 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | Tune by Gerry <- Awesome!!!
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbob View Post
Great write up but I can't for the life of my understand what the short tube plugs into. I get that it screws onto the pump but what does the other end do?
Yeah turd, when are we going to get together and do some of this stuff and install your GP seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
Nation Affiliate

Location: germantown maryland....lame state orginal west coast grom

wow you just gave me a project to do after work!awesome writeup man
PROJECTCANYON123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
2009&10 SESM Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbob View Post
Damn. Just noticed your question. Little late I know (sorry). Probably do not need the answer now but the small tube is just a cap to prevent all the fluid in the reservoir from draining out the bottom when you disconnect the rubber return line hose. I did not want the chance of an air bubble working its way into the system so I always kept fluid in the reservoir.

Last edited by jackedupcanyon; 03-28-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
New To The Nation

Nice writeup. About how many quarts of fluid does it require to do this start to finish? I am thinking about going synthetic for our extremely cold winters.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Nation Advocate

100K TXSM 10 TXSM 11 

Send a message via AIM to 05colorado Send a message via Yahoo to 05colorado Send a message via Skype™ to 05colorado

i know this has nothin to do w this thread but just curious, what size rim is that?
05colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #16
2009&10 SESM Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyk View Post
Nice writeup. About how many quarts of fluid does it require to do this start to finish? I am thinking about going synthetic for our extremely cold winters.
Each vehicle I do varies a little but typically it is around 3-4 bottles. Alot depends on how much of the lighter (newer) fluid you continue to pump thru the system to flush out the old. I think I used around 3 bottles (~48 oz) but also typically buy a spare bottle just encase. I also added a power steering fluid cooler (a different how to) at this same time so I ended up using more than 3 bottles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05colorado View Post
i know this has nothin to do w this thread but just curious, what size rim is that?
17"
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
Nation Affiliate

i may try that cause my turning is diffculnt
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Nation Citizen

How-To CM 355Loyalty 100K SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Almost 180,000 miles and NEVER been done. Now I've got something to keep me busy tomorrow night
FlyingTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
Nation Advocate

MESM 11 

Is it ok to add new power steering fluid to the old fluid?
GMCanyon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
Nation Affiliate

Garage

Great write up OP

I highly recommend going with Amsoil Power Steering fluid like the OP of the tread showed picture, I switched to Amsoil PS fluid and what a difference it made and it's also suppose to last longer and run cooler then other PS fluids. I couldn't find any locally so I had placed a order with Amsoil.
Namewasdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fluid maintenance, power steering flush