How-To: Replace Front Differential Seal - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > How-To/Tutorials/Reviews/Service Bulletins > How-To: Performance & Maintenance

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista
How-To: Replace Front Differential Seal

Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
ssgjurista

Project Name
How To Replace Front Differential Seal

Project Description
Replace the output seal where the cv halfshaft mates to the differential.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed

Drain Pan
Prybar
Hammer
Small Flat Tip Screwdriver
Large Flat Tip Screwdriver
Needlenose Pliers
Breaker Bar, Ratchet, 10mm, 15mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm Metric Sockets, Extensions
21mm Combination or Box End Wrench
6mm Allen Wrench
Torque Wrench
21mm Crows Foot
Compressed Air
Rags or Shop Towels
Latex Gloves
Jack
Jackstands

Parts Needed
Differential Seal, GM Part Number 15286593, NAPA Part Number 15691
1-2 Quarts (.94 - 1.89 Liters) Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lube
Brake Cleaner
Dielectric Grease
Blue Loc-Tite or equivalent

Project Time

4 hours or less

Project Cost
$17.50 USD +

NOTES:
A. Work safely at all times.
B. Before starting, apply the parking brake or securely chock the rear wheels.
C. The halfshaft, steering knuckle, hub, and rotor were removed as one assembly, eliminating the possibility of damage to the ABS sensor and/or harness.
D. The steps listed below are for the driver's side. The procedures are the same for the passenger side.

Change Front Diff Output Seal
1. Loosen the wheel nuts.

2. Jack up the driver's side and place a jack stand under the rear corner of the lower control arm.

3. Remove the tire and wheel.

4. Remove the driver's side inner splash shield.

5. Locate the two retainers for the ABS harness connector on the lower rear edge of the inner fender.

6. Squeeze the tabs on each retainer and push them thru the fender towards the engine. Pull the harness connector out from behind the fender and turn it over.

7. Squeeze the release tab and seperate the two harnesses. The lower harness stays attached to the plastic mounting bracket.

8. Follow the lower ABS harness down the control arm and remove it from the plastic retainers. These open with a small flat tip screwdriver. Stop once you reach the steering knuckle. DO NOT REMOVE THE METAL RETAINER AND HARNESS FROM THE KNUCKLE. Carefully remove the harness from the upper arm and let it hang over the front of the rotor out of the way.

9. Remove the two bolts holding the brake caliper and bracket to the steering knuckle. Then zip tie the caliper assembly out of the way. DO NOT LET THE CALIPER HANG BY THE HOSE.

10. Remove the nut on the bottom of the upper ball joint. Hold the stud with the Allen wrench to keep it from turning.

11. Once the nut is off, rap the knuckle around the upper ball joint several times with a hammer to pop the ball joint loose.

12. Lift the upper control arm and free the ball joint stud from the knuckle.

13. Remove the nut holding the tie rod end to the knuckle.

14. Once the nut is off, rap the top of the tie rod stud and knuckle with a hammer to pop the tie rod loose. Pull back on the knuckle enough to remove the tie rod end.

15. To release the halfshaft from the differential, slide a large flat tip screwdriver or prybar between the inner joint and the diff bracket. Apply a quick prying motion to pop the shaft loose.

16. Remove the nuts from the four bolts holding the bottom ball joint to the lower control arm.

17. Support the halfshaft/knuckle/hub/rotor assembly with one hand and remove the four lower ball joint bolts (You may want a friend to help at this point). Carefully pull the assembly from the truck. Place a block of wood under the inner cv joint.

18. Carefully place a lint free rag inside the old seal. Then clean the area around the seal with brake cleaner and an old toothbrush or paintbrush. Remove the rag when finished cleaning.

19. Directly behind the seal is a roller bearing. Carefully insert a large flat tip screwdriver or small prybar behind the seal and in front of the bearing. With the screwdriver resting against the diff bracket, use a quick pushing motion to work the seal loose. A slide hammer with small jaws also works well.

20. With the seal removed wipe the area with a clean rag and make sure it is spotless.

21. Apply a thin film of dielectric (silicone) grease to the outer edge of the seal. Then orient the seal so the air side (black rubber) is facing out.

22. Several methods are available for installing the new seal.
A. You may use a seal installer (pictured below) where the round end sets againt the seal and you hammer on the shaft. These are often available in different sizes in a kit from autoparts stores or tool suppliers.

B. Another option is to use a socket. Pick a size so the socket is just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the seal. You would then hammer the socket to push the seal into place.

C. I used the old seal to help drive the new one into place. The backside of the old seal has a metal lip. I placed the new seal into position, then placed the old seal against it. I then placed a block of aluminum over the old seal and hammered on it.

The key is to install the seal straight and not cocked at an angle. Which ever method you use, after the first few hammer blows stop and inspect the seal. If it is going in at an angle, place a block of wood or aluminum over the part of the seal angled out and lightly tap it back into alignment.

23. Install the new seal flush with the bore of the differential and not the differential bracket. The front edge of the seal should be approximately 1/16"-3/32" past the bracket.

24. Throughly clean the inner cv joint and shaft end with brake cleaner and brush to remove all traces of dirt. Inspect the unsplined area of the shaft where the seal rides for rust. You may clean this portion of the shaft with some very fine emory cloth or steel wool.

25. Once the inner cv joint and shaft are clean and dry, apply a thin film of synthetic 75W-90 gear lube to the shaft. Also apply gear lube to the lip of the new seal.

26. Install the halfshaft/knuckle/hub/rotor assembly by guiding the splines of the shaft thru the seal and into the internal splines of the diff. At the same time guide the lower ball joint under the lower control arm.

27. While supporting the assembly place the bolts thru the lower control arm and ball joint. Start the nuts by hand.

28. With a quick motion, push the hub and knuckle towards the engine. The inner end of the halfshaft will snap into place into the differential.

29. Tighten the lower ball joint nuts to 47 ft lbs.

30. Place a jack under the lower ball joint and raise the arm and knuckle until you can put the tie rod thru the knuckle. Start the nut by hand and then using the crows foot, torque to 43 ft lbs.

31. Raise/lower the lower control arm as needed to install the upper ball joint stud thru the knuckle and start the nut by hand. Hold the stud with the Allen wrench and snug the nut. Using the crows foot, torque to 55 ft lbs.

32. Apply a drop of Loc-Tite to the threads in the brake caliper and bracket assembly and place the assembly on the steering knuckle. Install the bolts and torque to 30 ft lbs.

33. Route the ABS harness along the upper control arm and place it in the retainers. Plug the harness connector together and place behind the fender. Push the connector retainers thru the fender.

34. Install the splash shield.

35. Remove the jack from under the lower control arm and ball joint. Install the tire/wheel and torque the wheel nuts to 100 ft lbs.

36. Remove the fill plug from the front differential cover and add synthetic 75W-90 gear lube until the fluid level reaches the bottom of the hole. Install the fill plug and torque to 15 ft lbs.

37. Lower the truck and test drive.

: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!

Last edited by ssgjurista; 02-20-2010 at 08:03 PM.
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Nation Elite

TOTM Winner OG Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity SESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to scochatm Send a message via Yahoo to scochatm
re: How-To: Replace Front Differential Seal

Nice How to as usual.

RIP Forrest "Skitz" August 6/20/84 - 6/27/11
scochatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Troll Terminator

355Nation Moderator Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K NESM 09 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1BADI5

Very nice Scott!

And guys be gentle with your ABS sensor cable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCanyonL76 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how much shrinkage did you have to overcome?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…RICHARD HENRY LEE, 1788, Federal Farmer

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/blurred_shadows/1badi5-2.jpg
1BADI5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
You Smell That?!?!

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Skitz Award 100K SESM 09 SESM 10 TXSM 10 

scott, that is a damn good how-to man, i know a lot of ppl have been waiting for it, i may actually pull mine again and try to fix the slow leak i have.

2004 Silver birch Canyon Z71 SLE 4x4 130,000 miles and counting
BBB crew...all day, every day.
rtmsu_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Nation Elite

Calendar Spread SESM 09 SESM 10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmsu_02 View Post
scott, that is a damn good how-to man, i know a lot of ppl have been waiting for it, i may actually pull mine again and try to fix the slow leak i have.
here we go again....again

csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
You Smell That?!?!

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Skitz Award 100K SESM 09 SESM 10 TXSM 10 

Old 02-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

This problem is common with the 4x4's. Great write-up!

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Hybrid

TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity 355Loyalty 100K USASM2012 WCSM 10 WCSM 2014 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Awesome Scott!!

.................................................. .............................BBB crew...all day, every day.
dents-n-dings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista
Re: How-To: Replace Front Differential Seal

There is no dust shield between the inner cv joint and the seal so its real easy for dirt and grit to collect in that area. I thought maybe a piece of dirt had got sucked in between the shaft and the seal and tore up the sealing lip. But there wasn't any scoring on the shaft and I couldn't tell what made the seal give out.

But like James said, this is a common problem on the 4X4s and the topic comes up often.
Since I was replacing mine, I decide to make a How To for the benefit of others.
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Rado "roller" Literally

Purple Heart Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread SESM 09 

Damn should have done this when Aaron and I changed mine out a few months ago! I can concur exactly to this "How to" though. Great Job man!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
You Smell That?!?!

thansk for the write up scott!!!

Last edited by rtmsu_02; 05-03-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
New To The Nation

Thanks for the how to! I changed my oil a couple weeks ago and guess what? Passenger side axle seal is leaking on my o6 canyon! Only 44,000 miles on it. I am going to change out the axle seal tomorrow. After reading your post Im sure this will be a sucessful repair.
Thanks again
redcanyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
New To The Nation

53k on mine. I have to replace the half shaft too, so I won't be removing mine in one piece.
dougfather2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
New To The Nation

I noticed my '04 passenger side leaking also. I went to NAPA to get the part and they gave me cross ref part #15306. It didn't look right and with numbers not matching up I decided to go to the dealership and get the exact part.

Thanks for the "How To". I will starting the tear down on this tonight. I am not much of a mechanic but this write up has given me the confidence to try this repair.
xfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
New To The Nation

OK, got it done! Thanks again for the great how to
Took exactly two hours. Got some help from neighbor pulling the assy out and putting it back in.
68,000 mi on my 2004 Colorado.
xfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
New To The Nation

How-To CM 

Thanks you for this awesome write up. Everything was explained as they were.
2 things I want everyone to note:

1. Its a good idea to get the the axle shaft bearing as well (mine had dirt in it) its only like $10. More Information for SKF HK4012

2. You might have to use a couple of big chisels to get the shaft out. Mine was rusted and seized on there.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
Formerly Metal_EMT

Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Public Service Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K NESM 10 NESM 11 MESM 11 

Garage

If I need to replace the half shaft (ripped boot), do I need to replace the seals also if they look ok and weren't leaking before?

EDIT: Could I just cut the straps on the old boot and install this? or should I replace the whole shaft for a ripped boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto
All thanks to a finicky drive by wire system with more PCM's, BCM's and PMS than the fuckin space shuttle.

Last edited by HK_Titan; 08-24-2011 at 09:04 AM.
HK_Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_Titan View Post
If I need to replace the half shaft (ripped boot), do I need to replace the seals also if they look ok and weren't leaking before?

EDIT: Could I just cut the straps on the old boot and install this? or should I replace the whole shaft for a ripped boot?

If you have high mileage, I would while your in there anyways!

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
R.I.P. Joe!

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member OG Lifetime Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate 355 Celebrity Skitz Award 355Loyalty 100K USASM2012 NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the write up. I will have to do this at some point in the future.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #20
Nation Citizen

How-To CM 355Loyalty 100K SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage

That bearing right behind the seal, I've gotta put a new one in.. Slide hammer? Or does it have to come out from the inside?
FlyingTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement