How-To: Install TPMS Sensors and Reset TPM System - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > How-To/Tutorials/Reviews/Service Bulletins > How-To: Performance & Maintenance

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Doctor!

355Nation Moderator Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread MTS NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
How-To: Install TPMS Sensors and Reset TPM System

Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
comdrop9073

Project Name
How-To: Install TPMS Sensors and Reset TPM Systemn

Project Description
Learn the installation procedure of Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors, and how to reset the TPMS.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2009
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Your Sensors may require different tools. Check before attempting installation.
14mm Openend Wrench
13mm Deep Socket
Torx T-25
Clean, lint free Towel or Rag

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
Cost of TPM sensors.

DORMAN Part # 974008 $33.97ea.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Installation of Sensors

With the tire removed, clean the valve stem hole with a Lint free cloth to ensure there is nothing that will compromise the seal between the valve stem the wheel.

Also clean the back side of the wheel.

Check the valve stem seal for any cracks or imperfections. Also clean the seal.

Sequence of sensor installation.

Insert the valve stem into the wheel from the backside (Inside). Make sure you have room for the wrench to clear the wheel.

From the face of the wheel, remove the valve stem cap and install the washer included with the sensor over the valve stem.

Install the included nut and hand tighten.

With your open end wrench hold the back side of the sensor still. Use a deep socket and tighten the nut to your sensors required torque. Notice the seal will expand against the back side of the wheel (I tightened mine to 35lb-in). Be careful not to scratch the face of your wheel with the socket.

Hand tighten the valve stem cap when complete.

Place the screw through the slit in the sensor and start to thread the screw into the valve stem. Make sure the sensor is as flush to the wheel as it can be. You do not want it to stick up from the wheel.

Tighten the sensor to the required torque. (Mine was 35lb-in)

TPMS Sensor Matching Process

Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. Any time you replace one or more of the TPMS sensors or rotate your vehicle’s tires, the identification codes need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position.

The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your dealer/retailer for service.

The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure. If increasing the tire’s air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire’s sidewall. To let air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gage, or a key.

You have one minute to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall, to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than one minute, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions, the matching process stops and you need to start over.

The TPMS sensor matching procedure is outlined below:
  1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.

3. Turn the exterior lamp switch from AUTO to OFF four times within three seconds. A double horn chirp will sound and the TPMS low tire warning light starts flashing. The double horn chirp and flashing TPMS warning light indicates the TPMS matching process has started. The TPMS warning light should continue flashing throughout the matching procedure. The LOW TIRE message displays on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

4. Start with the driver side front tire.

5. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for 10 seconds, then stop and listen for a single horn chirp. The single horn chirp should sound within 15 seconds, confirming that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position. If you do not hear the confirming single horn chirp, turn the ignition switch to LOCK and start over beginning with Step 2.

6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

9. After hearing the confirming horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, check to see if the TPMS low tire warning light and the DIC LOW TIRE messages have turned off. If yes, the TPMS sensors have been relearned. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

If the low tire warning light and the SERV TPM message on the DIC are on after completing Step 5 for the driver side rear tire, the sensor relearn process has not been successful. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and repeat the matching process beginning with Step 2.

10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

As an alternative, others have successfully used the following method which is easiler and seems to work equally as well:
  1. Start with the first part of the procedure:

The TPMS sensor matching procedure is outlined below:
  2. Set the parking brake.

3. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.

4. Turn the exterior lamp switch from AUTO to OFF four times within three seconds. A double horn chirp will sound and the TPMS low tire warning light starts flashing. The double horn chirp and flashing TPMS warning light indicates the TPMS matching process has started. The TPMS warning light should continue flashing throughout the matching procedure. The LOW TIRE message displays on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

Then just start the truck, release the parking break and drive it for about 5 minutes. The truck will automatically learn the TPMS and the light/display will go out.
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
2009 3LT ZQ8 5.3L V8

355Nation Moderator Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity MTS NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Re: How-To: Install TPMS Sensors and Reset TPM System

Nicely done Dave. Thank you for contributing to the how-to section.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Any idea why my light won't turn off? I did the alternative method and it still says to service the tpm. These tpm's were replaced about a month ago and I took it to a tire shop originally when I couldn't get it to reset and I was told sometimes it just needs to be driven a little then it will go out. But it's been a month and no dice.

Maybe I should try the full reset method with each individual tire??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Twtr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Premium Member

Have the Sensors been "reset with a tool? New TPMS Sensors are shipped in "sleep" mode to preserve the battery life and the system needs to be reset initially with a TPMS tool to activate them.
cart7881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Proud Nation Member

Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Have the Sensors been "reset with a tool? New TPMS Sensors are shipped in "sleep" mode to preserve the battery life and the system needs to be reset initially with a TPMS tool to activate them.
I just replaced one of my sensors using one from orange, and i bought the kent-moore tpms rest tool for around 70 bucks and it works great, noticed that after the sensor was replaced and i did the reset with the tool it still wouldnt turn the light off, so i disconnected the battery for about an hour, did the reset again and no trouble since, also had trouble with my headunit and the battery disconnect for around an hour sorted that out, somtimes i wander if i bought a truck or a super fucking expensive computer or smart fone that you have to do a battery pull to reset everything.

Tags
chevrolet colorado, gmc canyon, how to, sensors, tire pressure monitoring, tpms