4L60E Compatibility between models and years - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > 2004-2012 Chevrolet Colorado Forum / GMC Canyon Forum - First Generation Tech Area > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
4L60E Compatibility between models and years

Hey guys so my transmission finally went out at 175k. Iím looking to sell the truck in the next month. So I was thinking about getting a used transmission from a salvage yard to swap it instead of paying thousands for a rebuilt one. The issue Iím having is I thought that the transmission was universal between the years of our trucks. But after talking to people at the salvage yard they say they are not the same part. Is there a difference between them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
badlandindustries.com

TOTM Winner  Nation Elite  OG Lifetime Contributing Member  How-To CM  SuperMeet Organizer  Calendar Spread  Skitz Award  100K  USASM2012  WCSM 10  WCSM 2014  WCSM 2015 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: 4L60E Compatibility between models and years

car-part.com
BADLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
New To The Nation

Thats exactly what I was doing. First I just looked for 04 Z71 4X4 and nothing came up for the tranny. Then I saw the show interchangeable parts button. Found some low mile 4L60E's. But then when I call the Yard for more info on it they tell me it doesn't fit. Different years. Or its meant for 2 wheel drive packages. Woulda thought doing just a straight swap with the same Trans there wouldn't be these issues?? Unless I'm oblivious to something thats different.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Nation Affiliate

It's very likely they are different, as the bellhousing is different for other GM vehicles even though the transmission is the same. Now if you're apt on how to swap a bellhousing on a transmission, then by all means, go for the different model 4L60E.

Otherwise, keep looking is my humble suggestion... Try looking a state over, within a reasonable drive away I'd say. Got any family out of state? Might be time to take a road trip then, haha.

Good luck and I feel your pain man... I just replaced my clutch and bought a new manual tranny for about 350 bucks a few months ago, got away with whole new transmission for under 800 bucks!

Last edited by Colly_shifter; 05-01-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Colly_shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
New To The Nation

So I found some awesome info online and I think I understand what the difference is between the models and years. Ill post the link.

As far as 2WD and 4WD there is just a 6 bolt adapter on the tail to connect to the transfer case.

Also, 200-2005 the case connector is Green. But in 2006 they changed it to black. The 2006+ have an extra wiring harness for an additional input speed shaft sensor.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
New To The Nation

I'm swapping my 4L60E out for a manual in about a month or so if you're interested. Right now it's at 103,000 from a 2007 2wd
jacob.szymanski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
New To The Nation

Thanks, I decided to rebuild her. I bought an upgrade rebuild kit from Maddog Transmissions. Im good friends with the owners nephew and he helped me put it all back together.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #8
New To The Nation

I got mine out of a H3 Hummer aka heavier and more expensive Colorado. Had 40,000 for $700

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
daddydeamon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement