CEL P0017 Cam Sensor? - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CEL P0017 Cam Sensor?

My CEL has been on and off over past couple weeks so finally stopped into Autozone. They scanned and found P0017. Truck runs perfect other than the annoying light.

My truck is a 2008 w/ 70k miles so the warranty is toast....anyone have this issue before and know how to fix?

Thanks!
huffduf41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Premium Member

Lifetime Contributing Member 100K 

Send a message via AIM to amoore117
Re: CEL P0017 Cam Sensor?

Change the CAmshaft acuator solenoid (spelling) i just had to do this on mine, same code.

there is a thread or too on here about it do a search or when i get home later i can get you the part number.

or im sure someone else will chime in on the how to or something
amoore117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
New To The Nation

Cool I did some searching before I posted and saw the how to for the solenoid but it looked like it was for a different code.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffduf41 View Post
My CEL has been on and off over past couple weeks so finally stopped into Autozone. They scanned and found P0017. Truck runs perfect other than the annoying light.

My truck is a 2008 w/ 70k miles so the warranty is toast....anyone have this issue before and know how to fix?

Thanks!
You may want to check, My 2008 has a 5 year/100,000 mile warrenty...
Vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Premium Member

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engin...-sence-me.html

this is the thread i had when i threw this code

i changed the Cam position sensor and the Cam Actuator Solenoid. well the CPS wasnt the problem is was the Cam acuator solenoid. the part number in the how to you read (i have a 06 i4 btw) was the correct part, i ordered it off of gmpartsdirect.com . it took them almost 2 weeks for it to get to me but it saved me $120 on the part.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista

MSRP from the dealer for the camshaft actuator solenoid is around $90. Part number is in here: http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-t...-solenoid.html
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
MSRP from the dealer for the camshaft actuator solenoid is around $90.
i guess it depends on where you look...all the dealers around me i called wanted $120-$190 for the part because it was "special order" and i got it "special order" from gmpartsdirect.com for $68.68 and that included shipping....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
New To The Nation

Thanks a ton guys I drive a retarded amount and only change oil when the mini truck tells me to. Oil came on yesterday and drained the mud out and gave her some fresh -rewarded me by turning her check engine light off. Maybe the dirty oil was messing w/ the sensor???

In case it comes back I'm pretty sure I do have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty but didn't think this would be covered -am I wrong?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista

Quote:
-rewarded me by turning her check engine light off. Maybe the dirty oil was messing w/ the sensor???

In case it comes back I'm pretty sure I do have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty but didn't think this would be covered -am I wrong?
Since oil is constantly flowing thru the valve portion of the actuator, in theory at least, dirty oil may have had an effect.
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks a ton guys I drive a retarded amount and only change oil when the mini truck tells me to. Oil came on yesterday and drained the mud out and gave her some fresh -rewarded me by turning her check engine light off. Maybe the dirty oil was messing w/ the sensor???

hopefully thats all it was, unfortunately mine just went bad all the sudden on me, and after it went there was NO WAY i could get it home, had to wait 13 hrs for a tow. i suggest you pull the sensor and check to make sure you still have all 3 screens. i know when i pulled mine to replace i was missing one of the three. dont want to see ya get stuck on the side of the road ya know? plus it only takes 2 seconds to take the sensor out so it may be in your best interest.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
New To The Nation

thanks again guys
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
Nation Affiliate

I just read the CEL code with the reader at work and I have a P0017. I have changed the camshaft position sensor and the actuator valve also.

My question is, is it the crank sensor? The actuator valve had all its screens in it still. But below is the screen from the code reader.

Martin_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
New To The Nation

DTC P0016 or P0017

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Strategy Based Diagnosis) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Procedure Instructions) provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors
DTC P0016
Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation
DTC P0017
Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation
Circuit/System Description

The engine control module (ECM) uses the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the intake and exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensor information to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft, intake, and exhaust camshaft position.

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P0335, P0336, P0365, P0366, P0641, and P0651 are not set.
The engine is cranking or running.
The engine speed is less than 1,200 RPM and the CMP actuator is commanded to the home or parked position.
These DTCs run continuously when the above conditions are met.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that the CMP sensor pulse is more than 16.31 degrees out of sequence with the corresponding crank sensor pulse.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0016 and P0017 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTCs P0016 and P0017 are Type B DTCs.

Diagnostic Aids

Important: The scan tool control of the CMP actuator solenoid is inhibited when DTC P0016 or P0017 sets.

Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed camshaft, crankshaft, or timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
Excessive crankshaft endplay can cause this DTC to set.
Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics (See: Diagrams\Electrical)
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views (See: Diagrams\Connector Views\Component Connector End Views)
Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Circuit Testing\Circuit Testing)
Connector Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Connector Repairs\Connector Repairs)
Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Circuit Testing\Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections)
Wiring Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Wiring Repairs\Wiring Repairs)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning) for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

Operate the vehicle at idle and at various engine speeds and load ranges while observing the CMP Variance, Desired CMP, and CMP Angle parameters with a scan tool.
The CMP Variance should remain less than or equal to 1 degree unless the CMP actuator is being commanded. If the CMP actuator is commanded, the CMP Variance will rise for 1-2 seconds until the CMP Angle parameter matches the Desired CMP parameter. The CMP Variance should again return to less than or equal to 1 degree.
If the CMP Variance remains more than 1 degree for more than 3 seconds, continue with the Circuit/System Testing.
Circuit/System Testing

Ignition OFF, inspect the crankshaft balancer bolt for the proper torque. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Specifications\Fastener Tightening Specifications) .
If the crankshaft balancer bolt is not at the proper torque, refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Harmonic Balancer - Crankshaft Pulley\Service and Repair) .
Remove the CMP actuator solenoid. Refer to Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (See: Variable Valve Timing Solenoid\Service and Repair) .
Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
If the spool valve inside the CMP actuator solenoid does not move, replace the CMP actuator solenoid.
Inspect the CMP actuator for binding or being stuck. Refer to Camshaft Position Actuator Diagnosis (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Camshaft Position Actuator Diagnosis) .
Inspect the engine for correct valve timing. Refer to Timing Chain and Sprocket Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Timing Chain\Service and Repair) .
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification (See: Verification Tests and Procedures) after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Camshaft Position Exhaust Actuator Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Camshaft\Service and Repair\Camshaft Position Exhaust Actuator Replacement)
Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (See: Variable Valve Timing Solenoid\Service and Repair)
Advertisement