Won't start for 10 minutes?!? - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Won't start for 10 minutes?!?

ok so a few months ago my 06 isuzu i280 w/ 2.8L Inline 4, and 5 spd. wouldn't crank after filling it up with gas. It started like it would normally, but died as soon as the rpms levelled out. i thought i'd just bought a tank of bad gas. Talked to the owner of the shell station, he helped me out big time by covering my next two fillups. I Changed fuel filter dropped in some injector cleaner, went on about my business.....

TWO WEEKS LATER

Pulled up to a completely different gas station in a completely different town at a Chevron, filled up and exactly the same thing. I took note of the temp gauge and everything was normal, raised the hood, oil level good. Waited about 10 minutes and it cranked like a brand new one.

Since then it seems to happen every month or so exactly the same way, and not just when i fill up. I can run in the grocery store for about the time it takes to fill up at a gas station and when i get back, nothing.... BUT never fear wait exactly 9 minutes and 43 seconds and she'll fire right off.

I've changed the map sensor, fuel filter, drained and refilled tank w/ good gas, checked everything ik to check... still happens. I've heard Crankshaft sensor... but idk, i'm tired of nickel and diming this thing. Even left it for a week at a local Respectable Mechanics shop, nothing on diagnostics..

ANY ONE HELP PLEEEEESE!!!!
Southbound Cenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Skitz 6/20/84-6/27/11

Military Service Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread NESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Re: Won't start for 10 minutes?!?

Need some more information... Other then it won't start right away, do you hear the starter engaging? How are your plugs? Loose wire on one? How is the coil pack? Any check engine light codes?

Way to vague for any help really.

monk_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Nation Elite

Contributing Member How-To CM 355Loyalty 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

When this is happening is the security light on on the dash, I know others have had problems with this, I even think one guy just cleaned his key and it fixed the problem. Don't quote me, but I think it's the passlock system that causes it. Basically it's set up to where if it thinks some one is trying to steal the truck it shuts down and won't start for 10 min.
CUZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Nation Affiliate

Lifetime Contributing Member 100K SESM 10 

I have had the same problem with mine I believe it is the security system at the key acting up so it believes it is being stole and shuts off the gas pump
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Nation Affiliate

Contributing Member TXSM 11 

Location: Just Moved to the Pacific NorthWest from Miami... What was I thinking?!?!?! Seattle

Yea just a thought.
I recently had the problem with the passlock system. I know that if you try to crank the engine, it will try to crank but the passlock will disengage the fuel pump. Next time it happens, see if the fuel pump is pressurizing the tank. If not, you know that's the issue.

I still have the extended warranty so I took it to the "stealership" and they changed the whole ignition switch including the passlock sensor. They found the ignition shorting to ground.

Just on a side note, I called them the "stealership" just because they called me while it was in the shop and they told me that they found my throttle body dirty and I needed a fuel system clean. I really wonder if they looked at the throttle body because I cleaned it about a month before. Anyways, that was just my vent and my .02
Cisco1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
I fell over the edge

355 O.G. OG Lifetime Contributing Member NESM 08 NESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 

Send a message via AIM to JaysOnTheEDGE Send a message via Yahoo to JaysOnTheEDGE

i had this issue and it turned out to be a dirty key. i cleaned it off really good and have never had the issue again
JaysOnTheEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
New To The Nation

Its most likely a passlock issue. If the security light is flashing then it definitely is and is caused by a faulty ignition cylinder.
pudgerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
New To The Nation

Thanks all, never really noticed a security light tho. O2 sensor on diagnostics just showed up a few days ago. Hasn't acted up since about February. When it does happen tho, Engine turns over, but won't start. You know wut... I just realized, i switched keys about 3 months ago and it hasn't done it since... sounds like a winner to me, i thought it had something to do with the weather. Thanks again everybody
Southbound Cenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Nation Affiliate

Send a message via AIM to rriptide84

had this same problem today at my girlfriends house..pretty embarrassing when my pretty truck wont start!! just put my extra key on right now, hope that fixes it
bLaCk 07 crewcab z85, 3.7L, k&n CAI, borla proxs exhaust, blacked out rims and bumpers,fender flares, bedrug and softopper shell, 2.5" leveling spacer, 30' bfg A/t KO's, limo tint back and backsides, 20% passenger and driver, SSK crossmember caps, H3 guages
rriptide84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Nation Affiliate

I've had this same problem. However I fixed it for a whopping $30 thanks to kelly at pcmforless :-). There are many causes of this no start for 10min problem. Dirty keys, heavy keys(too much on the key ring), bad ignition cylinders...the list goes on n on. The problem as a whole is the VATS system(vehicle anti-theft security system). I asked kelly if there was a way to eliminate this rediculous attempt at an insurance discount and she immediately told me she could disable the system. I have an aftermarket alarm on my truck but what it boils down is "if they want your truck bad enough....they'll get it".....VATS system or not. The dealer will obviously tell u to bring it in so they can diagnose the problem(better known as "throw parts at it"). The easiest and cheapest way to fix it is to send ur pcm to PCMforless and have them eliminate the system. And if u don't already have a tune from them....it gives you an excuse to get one. Now granted, you could just replace the ignition cyclinder n such but I have a strong feeling you would end up spending a lot more money when the problem is likely to show its face again. Hope this helps a little bit :-)
TumTum355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

my Colorado wouldn't start this morning it would turn over but not fire, the only thing that I can think of is that the memory of the key code was lost somehow because that happen to someone I know and my sister so what should I do anyone else have this problem
Evan22colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Nation Citizen

How-To CM 355Loyalty 200K SESM 11 

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan22colorado View Post
my Colorado wouldn't start this morning it would turn over but not fire, the only thing that I can think of is that the memory of the key code was lost somehow because that happen to someone I know and my sister so what should I do anyone else have this problem

Did you notice if the security light was blinking?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mods:
ATV Tune by Gerry Supermod SuperSparks MBRP Exhaust 18" hyper silver extremes rims DDM 35watt 5k HID lows Pinoneer head unit Kicker CVR sub Rockford Fosgate 1000watt Punch Street Edge Door Speakers K&N Airintake Maxxtrac 3" lowering coils 3" blocks+removed leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerad11 View Post
Your truck just forced me through a second puberty.

Thank you.
Ghost355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Nation Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan22colorado View Post
No such thing as a key code.

Passlock is random.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Never enough lift

Military Service Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 100K 

used to happen to me all the time. DONT fill the tank as much as it goes. Ever time i would fill the tank completly full this would happen until the gas settled a little bit. BUT with that said i am probabl rong and our issue is different. Just a though
K&N Intake system, Flowmaster Muffler, Goodyear DuraTrac Tires, ReadyLift, Westin Bullbar, running boards, and tail light gurads, KC HiLightes, Reese class 4 reciever hitch with d ring shackle, Supermod PTB, LED Floorboard and Dome light mod from supermod, Surco Roof Rack, PowerStop brakes, JTR header, 1,2,3 super servo, clifford security system, SuperSparkz, Rockford speakers, 3in Body lift (installation curtosy of onelow1ton) ,flowmaster exhaust pipe

USNavyColoradoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement