Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Loud grinding noise while in four wheel drive

14K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  jrbyers96 
#1 ·
Well I decided with the 2 feet of snow we got here in NJ it would be a great time to see how the new truck feels in four wheel drive.
This is my second four wheel drive Colorado and I haven’t had this problem in the past with the last one but today I was getting a loud grinding noise from the driver’s side front when the wheels are spinning freely in the snow.
The truck has less than 2000 miles on it and this is the first time I’ve tested out the 4x4.
It’s a harsh sound and doesn’t sound good. This is definitely a dealer issue but I am curious what it could be.

It’s a 2010 crew cab v-8 with 4.10 gears.

#4 ·
driving and turning are fine, it just happens while the wheels are spinning. i am almost thinking it has something to do with traction control or ABS

#5 ·
bring it to the stealership and see what they say. as long as u have no moded anything then get the use out of the warranty while u got it brother. and the other good thing is when u get it back they can tell u what they found to be all f-d up.

it sounds like a u-joint binding up - does it seem to be sluggish like it wants to move but cant when u hear the noise?

#11 ·
no it only happenes when the wheels are spinning freely in the ice or snow. if im on dry pavemet all the wheels grip and there is no noise.

#6 ·
Although I didn't have any grinding noise, the shift from first to second on 4w low is beyond harsh, and for some reason, mine likes to get stuck in 4w low. I only used low cuz the street I park on at work was never plowed, and when I did park, they finally plowed, and plowed me in. 4w high wasn't cutting it. I got out with 4w low, and when I tried to switch back to 2w, the light blinked fast, and appeared again on 4w low.

Happened for a good 10 minutes, and the wonderful, impatient, New York drivers couldn't wait a damn minute for me to try again, so I drove in 4w low for about a mile, staying at like 10-15 mph. Like I said, the shift was hard as hell. Finally after trying 10 times, between on the fly, neutral, and coming to a complete stop, it went back to 2w.

#7 ·
the shift from 4WL to 2W should be dont at a stop with the trans in i believe its neutral. i believe and someone feel free to correct me if im wrong but it is not supposed to be able to shift into low any other way but again thats just from the exp with my truck and just knowledge

#9 ·
I dunno. It's weird. Like I said, I tried it 3 different ways, and finally it went back (while in neutral). Hopefully I wont have to use 4WL that often.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back on topic.

#10 ·
thats correct, 4L should only be entered or exited while at a complete stop with the transmission in N.

2h to 4H on the other hand can be done while in motion (less than 25MPH)

#12 ·
The preferred method for shifting into four-wheel low is to have your vehicle moving 1.2 mph (2 km/h). Press and release the four-wheel low button. You must wait for the four-wheel low indicator light to stop flashing and remain illuminated before shifting your transmission into gear or releasing the clutch pedal.

#13 ·
Slap it in neutral hit the 4Lo button and put it into park and it will go in every time. Do that and it will come out but make sure the light is blinking slow when shifting it to park and not rapidly. you can shift into 4Hi faster than 25mph as long as all the wheels are turning the same speed.

#14 ·
Everyone drives different but did you read the manual on when and how you should shift? I guess you had to use low.I don't think you need low unless your climbing a ROCK OR BOLDER! Sounds like a transfer case issue if you let it grind make sure you drain it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.