Truck wont start or even turn over - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Nation Affiliate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Truck wont start or even turn over

I tried to start my truck this morning to go to work and it would not even turn over at all. I tried boosting it and still nothing. A buddy of mine is saying that it can be an ignition switch but I am not sure.

It was doing the same thing last week and throwing a camshaft position sensor code so I replaced that. Still nothing.

I have a full battery and all my accessories work. I am not sure if it is the security system or not so I have the negative battery cable disconnected over night tonight to see if anything changes.
Martin_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Nation Affiliate

Re: Truck wont start or even turn over

Can you hear a clicking? Starter?

40 series Flowmaster. Kenwood HU. Alpine M-850 and 12" Alpine Type - R.
Andersonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
maniac mechanic

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

grab a meter, when you turn to start there should be at least 14 volts at the starter. If there is and starter doesn't grab replace it, if there's no voltage it's either wiring, bcm, or the ignition switch.
FixxxerKH202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

Why not check the ign fuse before you start doing all that...

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
New To The Nation

same thing happened to me....GM Roadside sent a tow truck to drag me to the stealership. He boosted me and it started...but the anti-theft light came on...So I drove to the dealer, since I still have warranty, thinking it would be a quick reset. Two days later, got a new battery and a long printout of their work. Seems they had to chase bad grounds,(they called it "Ghosts in the Machine" and laughed) which killed the battery. BTW, resetting the anti-theft requires BOTH ignition keys, if you come to that
Old_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Nation Affiliate

There is no clicking other than my headlight relay turning on when I turn the key. It clicks on and then clicks off when I turn the key.

As for checking it, its -40 outside and all my tools are locked up at work 15km away.

Boosting does not help as I tried that already.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Nation Master

Nation Elite USASM2012 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditz View Post
Why not check the ign fuse before you start doing all that...

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, that...^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Life's a virgin, because a bitch is just too damned easy."
xseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Nation Advocate

After you check your fuse.For future problems if any a charging system load test battery meter saves a lot of guessing, around$50 bucks autozone.Battery has to be fully charged before testing.
TRIBUTE TO THE MAN #3 [SIGPIC]

Last edited by dale#3; 02-26-2011 at 11:48 AM.
dale#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Premium Member

Lifetime Contributing Member 355 Celebrity 355Loyalty 100K 

Do you have a stick or automatic? The clutch safety interlock switch could be bad if you've got a stick. It's used to prevent the engine from turning over with the key if the clutch pedal is not pushed in.
2007 GMC Canyon regular cab 2WD. 2.9, 5 speed manual, G80 locker, Wait4Me tune, GM touring exhaust, Supermodulation Ported Throttle Body, Lakeland Voyager fiberglass cap, Bilstein struts/shocks, 235/75x15 Firestone Destination LE2's. Bonneville Land Speed Racing competitor in 2011.
rfross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Nation Affiliate

Its an auto.

I had my truck in at the shop and they said there was a lot of moisture under the relays. It dried up and started but they never cleard the P0017 crank sensor code. I cleared it at work and now it is doing it all over again.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Nation Citizen

Military Service USASM2012 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

The starter my be frozen if it's that cold. moisture and cold = ice. this happened to
my S10 a few years back. would not start, towed to the shop under carriage iced up
from snow, thawed out, started right up.
2010 Colorado 5.3 3LT-ZQ8 All Terrain Blue 3:42 W/G80
Comp Cam, Doug headers & full 2.5 Dual exh,W/X-PIPE
Ported T/B,CAI Modded box W/K&N,CalTrac bars
JTR Cross member 1" rear blocks. Front Bell-Tech Adj struts W/cut springs
AVS Smoked vent shades & Head and parking light smoked trim covers.
Street N Show steel roll pan, Hidden hitch, AVS Tail light covers
Titan 18" wheels,Toyo tires, 4deg pinon shims, Cowl hood
2001 S-10 Xtreme 4.3 Black. Headers, ported T/B many bolt on mods
1995 H.D. Bad Boy, 1996 Yamaha V-Max (not stock)(hi 9 sec)
Buick GN in garage.

Last edited by TurboAl; 03-03-2011 at 11:53 PM.
TurboAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_the_great View Post
Its an auto.

I had my truck in at the shop and they said there was a lot of moisture under the relays. It dried up and started but they never cleard the P0017 crank sensor code. I cleared it at work and now it is doing it all over again.
Ok, BINGO! Your relay is not making contact brother. Simple as that. IF you ONLY hear the light relay click over, and do NOT hear the fuel pump, AND they said there was water under the relays and since drying them out it fired right up...I would go in teh fuse box, pull the fuel pump relay and check it...hell i bet just moving it a bit would get you started. try that and see what happens. Pull it also and since there was water...check to see if you have any corrosion under there. Sucks I know its cold out...but better to get her fixed now and under control, then be out later with family, kids, date whatever and have it happen.

ONCE you are under there, also pour in some alchol or electric parts cleaner...anything that will disperse water, BUT not leave a oily film such as WD40...don't spray on anything like that. Hell, even finger nail polish will work. And DISCONNECT the battery first for obvious reasons...lol. Spray it in there...wait a few minutes...then hook everything back up and hopefully it will be good. Keep us posted brother, we got cha covered man!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Nation Affiliate

Well I do believe that there is a freezing problem. I pulled it into the shop at work with the forklift, it sat there for 30 min and fired right up. I do not think its the starter as it should start after a while?

Quote:
Ok, BINGO! Your relay is not making contact brother. Simple as that. IF you ONLY hear the light relay click over, and do NOT hear the fuel pump, AND they said there was water under the relays and since drying them out it fired right up...I would go in teh fuse box, pull the fuel pump relay and check it...hell i bet just moving it a bit would get you started. try that and see what happens. Pull it also and since there was water...check to see if you have any corrosion under there. Sucks I know its cold out...but better to get her fixed now and under control, then be out later with family, kids, date whatever and have it happen.
I don't think that the moisture and drying out had anything to do with it as it was sitting in their shop for an hour and it started. Same thing is happening to me. Even when I was in the fuse panel I did not notice any moisture under the relays. Not sure if they are pulling monkeys out of my ass just for fun but a truck that is not starting is not fun.

They also said that a cell in the battery was gone so i replaced the battery with a new one and nothing.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Well I do believe that there is a freezing problem. I pulled it into the shop at work with the forklift, it sat there for 30 min and fired right up. I do not think its the starter as it should start after a while?

I don't think that the moisture and drying out had anything to do with it as it was sitting in their shop for an hour and it started. Same thing is happening to me. Even when I was in the fuse panel I did not notice any moisture under the relays. Not sure if they are pulling monkeys out of my ass just for fun but a truck that is not starting is not fun.

They also said that a cell in the battery was gone so i replaced the battery with a new one and nothing.
Man to be honest, your confusing the hell outta me.

You say the same thing happened to you??? And that you don't think the moisture has anything to do with it, yet you said plain out that the engine sat in a warm area, and she started after an hour. I qouted you the first time, and now I am replying to you again. But it really seems like I am talking to two different people. LOL

If the weather is able to stop your truck from starting or even turning over..and teh battery is good, then the ONLY logical thing left is either the ecm...OR a fuel system related issue like the ign. relay.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Nation Affiliate

I know I am confusing as hell as I am frustrated beyond belief right now.

I was only saying the moisture thing as its -30 here right now. Having the truck sit in the shop at work for 30 min and it start right after that does not make any sense to me. the truck was still freezing cold when it was able to start.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
Nation Affiliate

Does anyone think that maybe the remote car starter is causing problems?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
New To The Nation

Quote:
I tried to start my truck this morning to go to work and it would not even turn over at all. I tried boosting it and still nothing. A buddy of mine is saying that it can be an ignition switch but I am not sure.

It was doing the same thing last week and throwing a camshaft position sensor code so I replaced that. Still nothing.

I have a full battery and all my accessories work. I am not sure if it is the security system or not so I have the negative battery cable disconnected over night tonight to see if anything changes.
I had a similar problem with my 2005 3.5L z71 canyon with the exception of freezing weather (not much of that here in FL) and after trouble shooting relays and fuses to no avail, i found an article about the "Hall effect sensor" a sensor on the opposite side of the ignition switch as the key. this sensor can be taken off with 2 screws and a little wiggling of the key it popped right off. there is a plastic plate on the top of this sensor that can be taken off (WITH EXTREME CAUTION!!!) as to not damage it. That contains a magnet witch is essential to starting the truck. Try spraying Quick Dry electronic parts cleaner inside the small holes and then letting it dry. then put it back together and see if that helps. I did that today and so far it has started fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck wont start or even turn over-part_1408399870998.jpg  
gscanyon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
Nation Affiliate

Contributing Member How-To CM 

read my thread. has everything you need to know about getting your truck fixed.

Truck is not cranking or starting ( RESOLVED PG 4 )
atxjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
read my thread. has everything you need to know about getting your truck fixed.

Truck is not cranking or starting ( RESOLVED PG 4 )
I just read yours and wish i would have had that these last couple days haha.
sunday night i took out my starter and then had to stop working due to rain, yesterday i put the new starter in and the first few times it would crank up just like new and then it quit and would only occasionally start. i went through the fuse box and other wires troubleshooting for electrical issues, couldnt find any. Then read a small article about that round black module you mentioned and i guess its called a ??Hall effect sensor?? idk how accurate that is. sprayed electrical parts cleaner from NAPA in it and it seemed to start fine after that until i went to leave work for lunch today. So i figured that little module was the root of my issue and i couldnt find it anywhere online so i bought a whole new BWD ignition switch from advance and just replaced the module instead of the whole switch so far ive been able to crank it up but we will see what the next few days hold. Nothing has been done to the passlock on my truck.
gscanyon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement