Running rough as all get out - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Running rough as all get out

My truck started to idle and run pretty rough today. Was running fine then all of the sudden, no sounds or warning, it just started to idle horribly, and run kinda rough below 2k RPMs. The idle drops and jumps around a bunch, dipping below 500 RPMs. It smells and sounds kinda like all the cylinders are not firing to me. Is this the Head issue that I got the letter about a few years ago? Trying to get a video uploaded to youtube right now.

BORKED

Last edited by gsimpson2g; 04-23-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added Video
gsimpson2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
I like pie

Nation Elite Contributing Member Calendar Spread 100K TXSM 11 

Garage
Re: Running rough as all get out

First things first do you have a CEL and if so, whats the code.

Id start off with free stuff. Make sure no vaccum lines came disconnected etc. Clean MAF and TB. See if that changes.

R.I.P Forrest aka Skitz 06/20/1984 to 06/27/2011
jrbyers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
New To The Nation

No CES =\
Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
BCS
Nation Elite

Contributing Member Calendar Spread 100K 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Mine started to that right before I had my CEL come on for cylinder 3 misfire which turned into the dreaded head issue on our trucks. Once it gets down below 2k rpms it's running rough. Which year/engine do you have?

2005 Z71 2WD. 2" TB Crank, 2 " Shackles, 3" Body Lift. 285 75 16 Cooper STT's, 16" MB Chaos 6 Wheels
BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
New To The Nation

Its a 2005 I4 motor. Still trying to get the video to upload from my phone.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Nation Master

355 O.G. TOTM Winner Nation Elite How-To CM Calendar Spread 

Mine had the head issue with no CEL. That sounds exactly the way mine went down
Originally Posted by Bykerbrad63 View Post
Amen brother, no regrets here, ever. I've had a blast so far, and ain't gonna stop. The toys just become bigger and more expensive. We only got one lap around this bitch, I'm trying to make the best of it fo sho! Thank God for beer.
SYNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
I like pie

Nation Elite Contributing Member Calendar Spread 100K TXSM 11 

Garage

Mine had the head issue and it was a gradual thing. Started and ran fine but had a minor rough idle. At high rpm's it would misfire. It through a code right off the bat. Id erase it and get it right back. Drove my truck for months with it like that diagnosing the problem. New plugs, cleaned everything. Checked for vaccum leaks etc. Even did a leakdown test myself and it was barely different. I bought 1 coil and would swap it out trying to solve the problem which it didnt.

Finally i took it to GM and they covered it under the head warranty at 85k miles. 106k now and going strong.

R.I.P Forrest aka Skitz 06/20/1984 to 06/27/2011
jrbyers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Nation Master

Nation Elite Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity 100K MESM 11 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Clean out tb first, mine would jump around too, cleaned it out and been running smooth since. Been bout couple of months now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
I just realised that if this forum were an actual room, most of us would walk in, take inventory of the group and think to ourselves, "Sausagefest." Then leave without saying anything.
R.I.P FORREST
BLUE STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
New To The Nation

Its not really an idle hunting issue. It sounds like it has a massive sized cam in it lol. Lopes like a muscle car does at idle. Why I am pretty sure its not firing on all cylinders at lower RPMs. Video is uploading now. Would the head issue still be covered with modified intake piping and aftermarket exhaust?

Video is up and being processed by Youtube.

Last edited by gsimpson2g; 04-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
New To The Nation

^^^^^^ I would def clean the tb before i started throwing money at it
kbaker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

cleaning the MAF isnt gonna help you man. No way in hell its thats bad in that short of time.

What you need to do is disconnect EACH coil ONE at a time and see if she runs worse or better..i am betting IF your losing a cylinder that you fouled a plug OR toasted a coil. Either way, NOT a head issue either IMO...

Do what I said above and see if its really a dead cylinder or not. ALSO, check that little sensor up on top f the intake manifold. It's your MAP sensor...having it uplugged or broken(VERY EASY TO DO) will cause the truck to run like what your vid looks like... Also The truck will have PENDING codes, i am sure of it man...they may not be trowing a cel yet, but if ya have a gauge I can promise you it will tell ya what the problem is, or at least set ya in the right direction.

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
New To The Nation

Well I tried unplugging each coil one at a time, and it ran worse on each one. I am wondering if one of the plugs is going, or the coils, and hasn't gone completely yet. It has just under 69k miles on it. It idles very roughly, but when I rev it over 2k RPMs it smooths out, and drops RPMs fine when I roll off the throttle, then starts to misfire again. With 1 coil unplugged on each cylinder, it runs rough at any RPM. So its not a cylinder completely gone. Is the MAF sensor the sensor right after the air filter box? I tried unplugging it and the truck barely even ran then, didn't want to rev at all lol.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
CALI BOSS

355Nation Staff Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread 355 Celebrity 355Loyalty 200K WCSM 08 WCSM 09 WCSM 10 SCSM 2014 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via Yahoo to DBNissan

I had a similar problem when my truck was new. It was a bad o2 sensor on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest August on FB
Bamboo wind chimes create some of the most soothing tones to fall asleep to...
Forrest, May the Force be with you, always... R.I.P. 6/27/2011
DBNissan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsimpson2g View Post
Well I tried unplugging each coil one at a time, and it ran worse on each one. I am wondering if one of the plugs is going, or the coils, and hasn't gone completely yet. It has just under 69k miles on it. It idles very roughly, but when I rev it over 2k RPMs it smooths out, and drops RPMs fine when I roll off the throttle, then starts to misfire again. With 1 coil unplugged on each cylinder, it runs rough at any RPM. So its not a cylinder completely gone. Is the MAF sensor the sensor right after the air filter box? I tried unplugging it and the truck barely even ran then, didn't want to rev at all lol.
Well, if you did that then you likely do NOT have a bad coil, or even a bad plug. I would put my money on one of your sensor's went bad. The MAF sensor is the main sensor right there on the front of the air box. The MAP sensor is the one I am referring too...its on the intake manifold up top at the very back. The nipple on them break easy. I do NOT think it's yoru maf do to the fact if it were goin bad, or was bad, you WOULD have a cel asap no questions asked. Since the cycle rate of that part is so fast, the cel would pop up within seconds.

Take a look at that sensor, and see if you can move it back n forth..it should be relatively solid. Now, if that's good, then like I said before, go and get her scanned and hopefully you can see the pending code's. This would be a great time to have a ultra gauge or scan guage btw..hint hint..lol.

IF none of that helps, then first things first...you have almost 70k on those plugs...may as well change them out. Get some denso's or something good. Not auto lites or cheap shit!

Then start doing ONE thing at a time from that point. Do NOT make several change's at a single time, doing so if you mess something up and it runs worse than it does now you will have no idea where to look..understand? Always start with the cheap shit and go from there...Good luck and post up what you find.

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
Nation Advocate

It was the head on my 04.At start up after about 30 sec. it would flip out skipping,shaking.Changed timing sensor,cleaned tb. then it threw the misfire code.Mine went at 125k so lost big bucks and sold it to a gm tech for his kid.He told me it's about a grand to repair.If you don't drop the chain then the price goes up.Hopefully for you your covered.If it's the head?
TRIBUTE TO THE MAN #3 [SIGPIC]
dale#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
New To The Nation

BORKED

Inside cab video. It actually died on my right after starting it. Never done that before.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
New To The Nation

Went ahead and tried cleaning the MAF sensor, no change.
Cleaned the MAP sensor, still running rough.
Spark plugs changed, still the same problem.

While changing the spark plugs though, I found the possible issue, and it concerns the daylights outta me. First 2 plugs I pulled, no problems, look used of course, some carbon deposits. They were the 2 front plugs. I get to the third plug, one right before the back of the engine one, and I find a little bit of a wet substance on the threads, but the threads only. After wiping it away, I find its oil. I thought to myself, ok, this cant be good. Get to the last plug, the farthest back one, and the threads for the plug are COVERED in oil, to the point of it dripping off. I went ahead and changed out all of the plugs, got it put back together, and fired her up, still the same problem. Now that oil, I am guessing, should not be there. So, what seal has gone out? Has anybody else seen this same thing before? I did change the oil about 1000 miles ago, oil level is good. Used the cheaper Walmart brand of synthetic oil, had used Mobile 1 Extended Performance synthetic before that.

Last edited by gsimpson2g; 04-24-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
Nation Affiliate

the oil is from a bad valve cover gasket. mind telling everyone why the check engine light is on? (what the code is)
josha37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #19
New To The Nation

No CEL had come on before I started messing with it. Came on when I started unplugging coils and running it. Could the leaky valve cover gasket cause the misfire? Possibly killed the O2 sensor? I will try to get it to a place tomorrow to check the code. Don't have a tool to do it myself. Least I got my new FZ6 for transportation right now!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
Steel Rivers Chapter

Chapter Founder Nation Elite How-To CM Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 2013 MESM 10 MESM 11 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to radojim

clean this
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engin...-solenoid.html
I was synerdrunk.
REST IN PEACE SKITZ
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/radojim/7c6602a8-5dd0-47a5-b5b9-6aca9d29eb57_zps006e01f6.jpg
radojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement