Engine rattle at start up ? - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine rattle at start up ?

I bought my truck 1 month ago. When I start it cold, I hear the timing chain rattle for about 2-3 seconds till oil pressure comes up. Is this normal ? Do you guys hear the same thing ?
I even changed my oil and filter this weekend and it still does it.

Thank you in advance for your time guys,

"You need a bigger hammer."
spdnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Member's Technical crew

Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM MTS Skitz Award 100K 

Re: Engine rattle at start up ?

Are you sure its coming from the timing chain and not something much more likely like the exhaust shield? And I dunno how mech. incined you are sir..just trying to start off with teh easy stuff first..

Christian= A sinner who keeps on trying!

CAROLINA CHAPTER Chapter Leader. Live in the carolina's or close, join up!
banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
New To The Nation

Definately timing chain area. I'm very mechanically inclined. Built offshore race boats for years and engine building for Saleen also. I understand where you are coming from.

It does it on the first start up in the morning for sure and sometimes if I sit at work for about 5 hrs. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. It could also be the oil filter, I didn't check if it had a drain back valve in it or not. The old TBI 350's had the same issue.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Nation Advocate

Garage

I'd love to hear a sound clip of this rattle as I might have the same thing. She sounds kinda "rough" on the first crank of the day but it lasts less than 2 seconds.
Skeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Member's Technical crew

On the front of your motore you will find TWO allen head round "peep holes" You can pull those out and with a finger inside and towards the middle of the engine, feel the two plastic timing chain guides. IF you feel ANY play then you likely have found your issue. If not, then keep looking.

But I must tell you, timing chains and ALL their components are NOT your likely components. With our engines they just do not wear out. Not with any regularity that is. My engine had 116k on her and she looked perfect under the covers. Not a mark on the chain, not a loose link, not even a worn tooth on the gears. I would look towards the tensioner, or some other regular issue with our trucks.

Trying my best to come up with something...maybe a vid would be best man. At least let us hear what your hearing..

Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Slide81 Send a message via Yahoo to Slide81

I'm getting the annoying tensioner pulley squeak at cold start now It irks me, but right now I just can't swing the $45 for the good tensioner and I'm not about to replace it with another faulty unit.
Slide81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
New To The Nation

I actually did a search online and found out its a pretty common problem. I went to school with a guy who is the head tech at a Chevy dealer and he says its super common also. Not to worry about it. That they get Colorados in all the time with that concern.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
New To The Nation

I found out that the Fram 9837 doesn't have a drain back valve in it, causing dry start ups overnight when the oil drains back down.
I found that the MicroGard brand from Oriellys does have a drain back valve in it. keeping the oil in the motor. I am going to try to buy one tomorrow and install it to see if it makes a difference. I'll report back the results.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Premium Member

Military Service Contributing Member How-To CM 100K SESM 11 SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage

I have always used Wix filters, and I have never had that problem. Also use Amsoil synthetic, maybe that helps to.

DIG EM
2005 Colorado Z71 2WD
DigEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Member's Technical crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdnjoe View Post
I actually did a search online and found out its a pretty common problem. I went to school with a guy who is the head tech at a Chevy dealer and he says its super common also. Not to worry about it. That they get Colorados in all the time with that concern.
Its sad to say it man, but WE know more than teh damn dealers do about our trucks. THEY also say all the damn time that we don't have a TSB out on our 3.5 heads and only admit it when WE let them know we're smarter than they think we are. They will tell a newb ANYTHING to get out of replacing the damn head. r doing any other warranty work for that matter. Plenty of new member's who have bcome life long member's simply because they came to us and we as a whole saved them thousands of dollar's knowing that the dealer MUST service a part they designed wrong.

As of today there are 6,513 member's. And lord only know's how many guest have looked on this forum. This SINGLE thread

2.9 start up knock

Is the ONLY one i can find with basically the same knock you are talking of. And its full of dealer bashing so to speak. See what I mean? Don't trust dealers... All those engine's completely replaced and not a single one of those trucks are fixed. ALL still have the same issue they started with..even after having the timing chain tensoner replaced.

Best of luck to you man. But this is NOT a common issue. Trust US man...you are in good hands now. Later..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Nation Affiliate

Ok my 2007 3.7 Canyon SLE reg. cab 4x4 has done it from the first day I got it when I ordered it brand new. I don't drive a lot so now I'm only at 25,000. I've had absolutely no problems with this truck and it runs like a sewing machine. I was working at our GM dealership as a full time custodian at the time I got it and talked to the lead mechanic about it. He was very much aware of the sound and told me at that time it was just oil drain from the chain tensioner after it sit like over night or for several hours which put a bit of slack in the chain. And it takes a few seconds for the pressure to have the tensioner take that slack back up. He said it does no harm. I know there is going to be all this "well it shouldn't do that" or "I want them to tear into my engine and fix it" etc. but you know what? I think the lead mechanic was probably dead on. I know of others that have this also. It never gets any worse. Doesn't seem to cause a problem. And I've gotten so use to it that unless someone brings it up I don't even notice it any more. So my take on it is no big deal. I know what it is. It won't cause damage so I don't have a problem with it. Its kind of like the new GTO's and Camaros fuel pump knock when you first start them especially when cold weather. Does no harm. Drive it and enjoy it.
johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
New To The Nation

Well,
I changed the oil filter to one with a anti drain back valve in it. Started it up this morning after sitting all night and no more rattle. I drive 1,500-2000 a week and was in a hurry and had EZ Lube ( I know...stupid ) do an oil change while I was waiting on a customer. I'll never do that again. I looked in there filter and NO valve in it.
Noise all gone !
I think my canyon is happy again !

Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdnjoe View Post
Well,
I changed the oil filter to one with a anti drain back valve in it. Started it up this morning after sitting all night and no more rattle. I drive 1,500-2000 a week and was in a hurry and had EZ Lube ( I know...stupid ) do an oil change while I was waiting on a customer. I'll never do that again. I looked in there filter and NO valve in it.
Noise all gone !
I think my canyon is happy again !
Based on my results with my truck, the rattle will be back.

I've had the startup rattle since my 2006 4 banger Colorado has been new. I've tried synthetic oil, different weights of oil (from 0W-30 to 10W-30), multiple brands & types of filters with and without ADBV. The rattle stayed EXACTLY the same.

If you listen carefully, the startup rattle is there even if it's been restarted within 10 minutes of shutdown - the rattle gets longer and more pronounced the longer it sits.

It rattles pretty bad upon the first startup after an oil change too.

I've even asked a few fellow Colorado owners in parking lots if they would mind starting up their trucks so I could listen to them. ALL of the ones I've listened to so far rattled.

I'm at 27K miles and the engine runs so good otherwise that I hate to have anyone tear into it, especially after some of the stories about other Colorado owners trying to get this fixed.
FrugalRado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
I like pie

Nation Elite Contributing Member Calendar Spread 100K TXSM 11 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage

My father in laws makes the exact noise your talking about. I heard it just the other day but only for a split second. Maybe 1-2 seconds.

I cant hear it on mine BUT, i also have a intake and exhaust etc so that can cover up the sound quite easily.

Obviously when your engine makes a noise its not supposed to, your gonna try and fix it BUT, i think you will be fine. Its just one of those notorious things with these trucks.

R.I.P Forrest aka Skitz 06/20/1984 to 06/27/2011
jrbyers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement