Low Idle Speed - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Low Idle Speed

I searched and didnt come up with much that worked.

Its the weirdest thing, consistently 50-100 rpms below the commanded idle and it gets grumpy when it gets to the low 500's and gets rough. I'm commanding 650 once warmed up and I even played with the idle in the vcm controls and it stays 50-0rpms below the commanded rpm but will command any rpm I want. What is going on? Its wholly capable of idling at 650 but doesnt when commanded to do so. So far the TB has been cleaned, the maf cleaned and we've rest the computer both by HPT and by disconnecting the battery and it keeps doing it. We also tried disconnecting the exhaust cam thingy that 355 nation said causes this and it did not effect it. My next thing I'm going to try is scan it and see what the exhaust cam is actually doing. If not I'm going to make him replace his 65k old spark plugs.

I've got logs and configs and my tune file. I just did some basic stuff on this one because it doesnt have a wideband on it. Nixed Tq management, put the correct trans tables in, put in real PE values, tweaked the maf and spark a bit. I used the vcm controls to play with it a bit, moved the cam all around and it worked fine, played with the idle speed and some other stuff, pretty inconclusive.

Oh and it also throws the low idle speed code on occasion, its not terrible but its pretty annoying to idle at like 550-600 rpms, no other issues, still goes like a raped date and will smoke the tires off. Its an 05 z71 single cab 3.5 by the way.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt AFRCMD,Spark,TC,MAF,DynamicAF.hpt (931.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: cfg colcanfulltune1.cfg (3.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: hpl Dads low idle.hpl (78.2 KB, 34 views)
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Nation Master

Nation Elite USASM2012 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Low Idle Speed

65k on the plugs?? That's the second thing I would've tried ---- cleaning the TB is the first.

By the way, Denso Iridiums are great plugs.

"Life's a virgin, because a bitch is just too damned easy."
xseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
New To The Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Low Idle Speed

Funny thing is its not misfiring. I think I might try increasing the idle under speed spark advance in that area. It just weird, like its not entering closed loop idle control (it is of course entering closed loop fueling).
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement