Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

How do you calculate gas mileage

4K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Rick_crew 
#1 ·
Ok so at every fill up ive been recording the odometer and gallons ive pumped in. For about 5 fill ups now. My question is since there was fuel still in the truck when i did my first fill up how do i calculate this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#39 ·
Ok, if your tires are not stock the best way to calibrate for tire size is with a tune. But, if you can not get a tune, do you have a GPS?

Generally most manufacturers claim a 0.1MPH tolerance with speed readings, however will go as far to say a 0.5MPH inaccuracy is possible, to make allowances for any satellite signal variations beyond their control.

GPS speed calculations are more accurate than a speedometer. If you do not believe me, get a radar gun a GPS and a car speedo and check it out. I have, but with a bass boat, and the gps was accurate to .2 of the radar gun every time, on three different gps units. Furthermore, if the speed is accurate the measured miles on the GPS will be as accurate.

So if you have a section in your GPS that can record time and miles and speeds for a single trip you can use that to get a good idea of actual fuel mileage, by doing the same math as mentioned earlier, just divide the miles by the gallons. Iuse the GPS miles and the odometer mileage, and they are within 3 tenths of each other everytime. #/10ths over 345 miles is negligent in the math figures. Just one mans opinion.

#43 ·
I've seen worse...

Hopefully the OP has an answer by now. I have as app on my phone that does the math for me, and keeps track of the MPG's between fillups. Just input the info from the pump and the trip meter and there you go.

#42 ·
I don't see a problem with the thread whatsoever.

There are tons of thread full of nothing but crap. This one STARTED out as a legitimate question so the guy could learn how to do something.

Like all other threads, this got beat to death in one day. haha But at the end of the day, I'm sure he got his question answered and learned something today.

Now lets get back to the good threads. Tomorrow there will be a new "what is the biggest tire" thread that will escalate as did this one. :D

#46 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.