Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum (http://www.355nation.net/forum/)
-   I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain (http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/)
-   -   Truck has a miss (http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/78161-truck-has-miss.html)

Adams.13 08-03-2013 02:00 AM

Re: Truck has a miss

I'm hoping it isn't the head problem but it is I'm going v8

08Canyon 08-03-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moody1 (Post 2332369)
And if you did swap to iridium did you try and gap them?

Have you also cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (Post 2333018)
Omg omg it's the head issue omgbbq

doomsdayprepper/

You got it wrong I think. Isn't it #doomsdayprepper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adams.13 (Post 2335130)
I firgure a out the whine was from the power steering pump was over filled by alot most of it is gone but still nothing on the miss thinking it could bea bad o2 or something simaly

I believe you misunderstand the idea of cleaning a Mass Air Flow Sensor. Leaves and dirt in front of the filter aren't a culprit. The MAF Sensor is a tiny wire filament that meters the air. It gets gummed up with crap over time (not dirt as per the term 'dirty'). In the parts store or any automotive department you will find a red spray can of MAF Sensor spray (aerosol). Carefully remove the electrical connector and two screws securing the MAF Sensor to the intake tube and spray it with the cleaner. Do not under any circumstances try to touch the filament or scrape it clean of any deposits. It's very delicate, more than a filament in a light bulb but looks similar.

Where did this idea of a whining noise come from? I haven't heard you ask about a whine but it's being diagnosed. I've heard you ask about a loud fan though. If your fan assembly is indeed whining then there could be a problem (not to to cause a miss). If the fan is making the noise a fan makes, but only does it at initial start up, or when the engine is hot then it's a normal operation. If it is always noisy (howling from intense air draw) then the clutch isn't working properly.

Lastly, you were asked if you changed plugs then asked if you gapped them. You said you did replace them but you never answered if you gapped them. Was the miss there before you did plus, or were the plugs changed to try to remedy the miss? I don't think any of these engines idle perfectly smoothly, do they? Mind doesn't. Maybe it's nothing and you just don't know it? But if you've got a code I'm probably wrong.

One common check is to swap the coil to another cylinder. I the code moves then you know you have a bad coil. If the code stays, then it isn't the coil causing a miss at that particular cylinder.

Adams.13 08-03-2013 04:46 AM

The reason I talked about the leafs in it air box is I'm sure who ever let it get that bad has just beat the air filter out probably with the truck runing.
The plugs were changed to fix the miss little bit of difference but not much.
The whine I think I talked about it in the first post not sure but have forsure found the problem on that.
The miss isn't from the idle jumping my old colly did that it this one runs great and then you can feel one just miss the idle
And thanks for the coil idle imma give that a try
I gapped plugs but ill pull them and make sure they are all fireing
Thanks again

moody1 08-03-2013 09:47 AM

Gapping an iridium plug is not good. You can chip the coating on the filiment and cause them to not fire properly.

gway 08-03-2013 11:07 AM

Whenever u figure it out you let me know. Mines threw that code for probably a year or more now. It only does it when it idles for a long period of time. I've changed my plugs a few times since it started happening. Mines a 3.5 06. I don't believe its the head cause I've put a lot of mines on it and she's still running strong.

08Canyon 08-03-2013 01:00 PM

Darn.....yeah the gapping may not have been the best idea. If the problem is worse after plugs than before, then you may have cracked the coating.

Did you actually bend the electrode, or just check gap? Checking you may be okay but if you bent it is when it could have cracked.

I kind of understood your first line. I'm not sure that anybody every cleans a filter while the truck is running......if so they more likely sucked in dirt to the engine which is way more negative than 'unfiltered air' passing through the MAF Sensor. So yeah, it's not 'dirty' from that.

My apology, I read through the thread last night to find the whine question before posting but missed it. Glad it's sorted out.

I didn't understand the rest of what you wrote.

Adams.13 08-03-2013 01:31 PM

I just checked the gap on the plugs to make sure they were right.

And as far the cleaning the air filter while its running ive seem people do it I know it's very bad but I always expect the worst out of a previous owner. But that's probly got nothing to do with it.

Yea the whines still there but not near as bad I'm going to change the fluid and hopefully that will be taken care of completely.

Ill try and explain the idle it will be idleing normal and then it just misses out of nowhere.

And gway ill let you know if I find it out

Thanks for the help

jakeraleigh 08-03-2013 02:11 PM

Mine did something like that.. Had to get the idling calibrated

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Adams.13 08-13-2013 12:33 AM

Got another code today po300 checked all the coil packs they are on good. I need to clean the maf that's about the only thing I could think off other than needing new coil packs.

Joe canyon 08-13-2013 07:35 PM

A .nearly clogged cat or cats will yeild these exact conditions., Wineing noise from engine and randomdom misfire as a result of excessive backpressue due to the exhaust gasses not being able to flow through the exhaust system.

Adams.13 08-13-2013 09:21 PM

I'm gettin ready to do a pre cat delete I know it helped my truck a ton I've just been trying to get a rounded nut off and been haveing trouble

Adams.13 08-13-2013 10:04 PM

I just hooked up the reader and po304 so I'm going to check that coil pack because its the one that was on 5 when I got the po305

Colorado Browning 08-14-2013 09:31 AM

Sounds like you got it narrowed down, awesome.

Josh 08-14-2013 09:51 AM

Yep. If the misfire is following the coil pack around, then it's time for a new coil pack.

boosted5 08-14-2013 12:14 PM

yea, new coil pack and will be good as new

ChevyHighPerformance 08-14-2013 07:18 PM

A couple suggestions:
1 clean the common connection on the head (spark plug well) and the coil pack.
2 take the rubber boot off the high voltage end of the coil and remove the spring. Clean the springs ends and stretch it some to make sure there is good contact between the hv electrode on the coil and spark plug. Install spring in boot, install boot on coil, install coil.

Adams.13 08-14-2013 09:18 PM

Imma clean it up a little bit but don't think it'll help for to mention I have super sparks bought them trying to get rid of the problem