Error Code: P0449 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Engines/Performance/Tech Questions > I4/I5 Engine & Drivetrain

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (12) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM   12 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. Contributing Member How-To CM Public Service SESM 10 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to WwRGSwW Send a message via MSN to WwRGSwW
Error Code: P0449

Its an emmisions error code.

(P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction)

I had autozone clear it (my scangauge is dead).

20 min later, it came back..

Got home, checked fuses (had some other issues today) and I had a fuse labeled

CNSTR VENT burned.

Is this fuse related to that error?

Last edited by WwRGSwW; 06-01-2008 at 06:52 PM.
WwRGSwW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Nation Citizen

Re: Error Code: P0449

Supermodulation advised that I should drive it to see, there are no effects that I can tell from this code, Izzy on the other site stated its a valve stuck open...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

Emissions warranty is lifelong, though I can't remember if you've modded yours or not
Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
I fell over the edge

355 O.G. OG Lifetime Contributing Member NESM 08 NESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 

Send a message via AIM to JaysOnTheEDGE Send a message via Yahoo to JaysOnTheEDGE

*Updated due to incorrect info*

EVAP System Operation

The evaporative emission (EVAP) control system limits fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Fuel tank vapors are allowed to move from the fuel tank, due to pressure in the tank, through the vapor pipe, into the EVAP canister. Carbon in the canister absorbs and stores the fuel vapors. Excess pressure is vented through the vent line and EVAP vent solenoid valve to the atmosphere. The EVAP canister stores the fuel vapors until the engine is able to use them. At an appropriate time, the control module will command the EVAP purge solenoid valve ON, allowing engine vacuum to be applied to the EVAP canister. With the EVAP vent solenoid valve OFF, fresh air is drawn through the vent solenoid valve and the vent line to the EVAP canister. Fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling fuel vapors from the carbon. The air/fuel vapor mixture continues through the EVAP purge pipe and EVAP purge solenoid valve into the intake manifold to be consumed during normal combustion. The control module uses several tests to determine if the EVAP system is leaking.

Large Leak Test

This tests for large leaks and restrictions to the purge path in the evaporative emission (EVAP) system. When the enabling criteria has been met, the control module commands the EVAP vent solenoid valve ON and the EVAP purge solenoid valve ON, allowing vacuum into the EVAP system. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor voltage to verify that the system is able to reach a predetermined level of vacuum within a set amount of time.

Small Leak Test

The engine off natural vacuum (EONV) diagnostic is the small-leak detection diagnostic for the evaporative emission (EVAP) system. While previous leak detection methods were performed with the engine running, the EONV diagnostic monitors the EVAP system pressure or vacuum with the ignition OFF. Because of this, it may be normal for the control module to remain active for up to 40 minutes after the ignition is turned OFF. This is important to remember when performing a parasitic draw test on vehicles equipped with EONV.
The EONV utilizes the temperature changes in the fuel tank immediately following a drive cycle to use the naturally occurring vacuum or pressure in the fuel tank. When the vehicle is driven, the temperature rises in the tank. After the vehicle is parked, the temperature in the tank continues to rise for a period of time, then starts to drop. The EONV diagnostic relies on this temperature change and the corresponding pressure change in a sealed system, to determine if an EVAP system leak is present.
The EONV diagnostic is designed to detect leaks as small as 0.51 mm (0.020 in). The diagnostic can determine if a small leak is present based on vacuum or pressure readings in the EVAP system. When the system is sealed, a finite amount of pressure or vacuum will be observed. When a 0.51 mm (0.020 in) leak is present, often little or no pressure or vacuum is observed. If the test reports a failing value, DTC P0442 will set.

Canister Vent Restriction Test

If the evaporative emission (EVAP) vent system is restricted, fuel vapors will not be properly purged from the EVAP canister. The control module tests this by commanding the EVAP purge solenoid valve ON, commanding the EVAP vent solenoid valve OFF, and monitoring the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor for an increase in vacuum. If the vacuum increases more than a calibrated value, DTC P0446 will set.

Purge Solenoid Valve Leak Test

If the evaporative emission (EVAP) purge solenoid valve does not seal properly fuel vapors could enter the engine at an undesired time, causing driveability concerns. The control module tests for this by commanding the EVAP purge solenoid valve OFF and the vent solenoid valve ON, sealing the system, and monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) for an increase in vacuum. If the control module detects that the EVAP system vacuum increases above a calibrated value, DTC P0496 will set.

Check Gas Cap Message

The control module sends a class 2 message to the driver information center (DIC) illuminating the Check Gas Cap message when a malfunction in the evaporative emission (EVAP) system and a large leak test fails.

EVAP System Components

The evaporative emission (EVAP) system consists of the following components:
EVAP Canister

The canister is filled with carbon pellets used to absorb and store fuel vapors. Fuel vapor is stored in the canister until the control module determines that the vapor can be consumed in the normal combustion process.
EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve

The EVAP purge solenoid valve controls the flow of vapors from the EVAP system to the intake manifold. The purge solenoid valve opens when commanded ON by the control module. This normally closed valve is pulse width modulated (PWM) by the control module to precisely control the flow of fuel vapor to the engine. The valve will also be opened during some portions of the EVAP testing, allowing engine vacuum to enter the EVAP system.
EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve

The EVAP vent solenoid valve controls fresh airflow into the EVAP canister. The valve is normally open. The control module commands the valve ON, closing the valve during some EVAP tests, allowing the system to be tested for leaks.
Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

The fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor measures the difference between the pressure or vacuum in the fuel tank and outside air pressure. The control module provides a 5-volt reference and a ground to the FTP sensor. The FTP sensor provides a signal voltage back to the control module that can vary between 0.1-4.9 volts. A high FTP sensor voltage indicates a low fuel tank pressure or vacuum. A low FTP sensor voltage indicates a high fuel tank pressure.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by JaysOnTheEDGE; 06-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.
JaysOnTheEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Nation Elite

355 O.G. Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Advocate Public Service NESM 09 

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Emissions warranty is not life-long. It is 80k miles.
1st Cat Delete | MBRP 409 Turndown | FRAM Boost+RamAir | 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | Tune by Gerry <- Awesome!!!
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

I was under the impression that the federally regulated stuff was. My bad
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Nation Citizen

Sorry it took so long for me to respond...

Fuse fixed the CEL
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
I fell over the edge

355 O.G. OG Lifetime Contributing Member NESM 08 NESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 

Send a message via AIM to JaysOnTheEDGE Send a message via Yahoo to JaysOnTheEDGE

Good deal ive had random fuses melt and burn i usually check them everyonce in a awhile.
JaysOnTheEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #9
Nation Master

Purple Heart Nation Elite Contributing Member SuperMeet Organizer Public Service Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K NESM 10 NESM 2013 SESM 10 MESM 10 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WwRGSwW View Post
Sorry it took so long for me to respond...

Fuse fixed the CEL

Wow, search button does work lol.

Anyways, is this fuse in the fuse box under the hood? Hopefully mine will be the same problem and nothing more major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radojim View Post
alittle later in the exam room, im face down ass up with my shorts around my ankles. he walks in and around behind me, pauses and says, "ugh! thats nasty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz View Post
Jefe; June meet? I was born in June! Celebrate!
R.I.P. Forrest "skitz" August
6/20/84 - 6/27/11
Miss You Buddy!
"Jeff" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Roy and Blue

355 Medal Of Honor Chapter Founder TOTY TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread Skitz Award WCSM 10 SESM 09 SESM 10 MESM 10 MESM 11 TXSM 10 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I just popped this one too Gonna go check my fuses
skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #11
Nation Affiliate

This code refers to the vent solenoid under the bed, next to the canister. not the purge valve that is on the drivers side of the engine block. Replace the vent valve, not the purge valve if you have this code and the fuse is not blown.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
New To The Nation

Help my 06 4door Z71 with only 48,000 on it is running bad.Tuffys saids it a error code: P0449. That a coil is misfiring,Good old need to run more test to firgure it out.Grrr I'm the second owner,any ideas? Byron
bwstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
New To The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstone71 View Post
Help my 06 4door Z71 with only 48,000 on it is running bad.Tuffys saids it a error code: P0449. That a coil is misfiring,Good old need to run more test to firgure it out.Grrr I'm the second owner,any ideas? Byron
ran into this about 2 weeks ago - bought part number 25932569 - (evap canister) for 50 bucks from the dealership. (apparently the part for our trucks is alot more - around the 150 dollar mark, all we need to do with our trucks is reuse the hose to make the cheap part work.)

I didnt do any tests prior to replacing this part, i just replaced the part and the CEL hasnt come back on since then. It was about a 25 minute job in the driveway - The part is right above the spare tire.
kirkahamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
New To The Nation

Send a message via MSN to tworm

the plug at the canister was unplugged on mine .. hope to see the engine light reset soon or get the program for my OBDII working on my laptop again so i can reset it.
tworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
3'' of glory

355 O.G. Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 2013 

just threw this code

anyone know what number fuse it was? i checked my fuses and non were blown but maybe i missed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianrath View Post
This code refers to the vent solenoid under the bed, next to the canister. not the purge valve that is on the drivers side of the engine block. Replace the vent valve, not the purge valve if you have this code and the fuse is not blown.
is it the thing that the blue and red plug goes into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Meeting Darek should be on everyone's 'bucket list'. Really.

RIP Forrest & Joe
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #16
3'' of glory

355 O.G. Military Service Chapter Founder TOTM Winner Nation Elite Contributing Member How-To CM Calendar Spread Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 2013 

for answers
Quote:

RIP Forrest & Joe
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
3'' of glory

a lucky thursday bump
Quote:

RIP Forrest & Joe
Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
New To The Nation

is that really true that the emissions system is warrantied to 80,000miles? i just had the dealership in town and they did a diagnostics on it and then dropped the tank because it was a evap code. and then they said i needed an evap can hose assymbly?!?!?!?! are they trying to rip me off? cuz i still had to pay 217.00 for them to do the diagnostics and take the tank down and put it back. pretty pissed bout it. it only has 60,000 miles on it. i just bought it less than a month ago.
unclejames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
Nation Master

355 O.G. TOTM Winner Nation Elite How-To CM Calendar Spread 

Wow that's a half hour diag half hour R&R our place 80 total for labor plus part. Emissions warranty basically covers converter and PCM and that's all. And if I was you I'd bitch to my salesmen an make them take care if it. Been the salesman plenty of times in that situation.

Originally Posted by Bykerbrad63 View Post
Amen brother, no regrets here, ever. I've had a blast so far, and ain't gonna stop. The toys just become bigger and more expensive. We only got one lap around this bitch, I'm trying to make the best of it fo sho! Thank God for beer.
SYNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #20
macNcheese

TOTM Winner Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM SuperMeet Organizer Calendar Spread Skitz Award 100K USASM2012 WCSM 10 WCSM 2014 

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

holy freakin bump. lol

i think the warranty is good for 80k. make them check the waranty before you pay.

Want a sig this big? Want to access exclusive content? Become a contributing member today!
Top Free Cheap Performance Mods ~ Essential Maintenance Compilation
04-08 MOTOR SWAP PROVEN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_O_Z View Post
I hope to start soon as I get another dd
WE'RE WAITING...........................
xkmacx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement