My First Flight!!! - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > General > Images and Video

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
Nation Master

355 O.G.  Chapter Founder  TOTM Winner  Nation Elite  Contributing Member  How-To CM  SuperMeet Organizer  Nation Advocate  Calendar Spread  355 Celebrity  NESM 08  NESM 09 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JosueZQ8 Send a message via Yahoo to JosueZQ8
My First Flight!!!

And I'm ABSOLUTLY PUMPED about this!!!

As many of you know, I'm going to school to become an Air Traffic Controller. The school in PA that I got accepted into requires you to have your Private Pilots License, but not all the schools do this, just this particular one. And it's a good idea actually. That way the controllers have a better understanding of the pilots perspective.

Now, if you wait to get your license at the school it's ALOT more expensive than if you got it on your own. So there's a little airport/community about 25 mins from me that I'm getting my pilots license at. I say community because the members of this place have a blast together. They have pig roasts, group flights to whereever(kinda like a convoy in the sky!) the building has a movie room with a projection screen and like 15 leather recliners, 2 hot tubs, a "Tiki" room with 2 bars, Pilot's Store, and much more! SO it's gonna be sweet to be a part of that.

We took a tour of the place a few weeks back and the instructor advised me to come out for an Intro Flight, just to make sure that I wouldn't get up there and completly freak out! Cause that has happened. So I went this past wednesday. HOLY SHIT!!! I can't even describe how much fun it was! And I didn't even know what to expect, but I thought I'd at least just sit there and have him "show me some things". But as soon as we took off, he leans back and is like..."ok, you're flying the plane now!" (after he told me some stuff back on the ground of course). So we're cruising around 3,000ft and he's showing me how to turn it and whatnot, then he'd be like..."ok, now show me a left turn to about 30 degrees". I really didn't expect to be flying a fucking plane my 1st time out!! He's like..."I like to make sure you get your money's worth!" haha

I soooo excited about this venture. It's really not that hard once you get up to level flight. It's just like driving a car, you gotta do what you need to do to keep it going straight. Can't wait till I know how to do things and I can start going on my solo flights!

Got some pics to share of course!

Cessna 172...

He snapped a few pics of me flying it!

Him bringing us down!

What an incredible experience....
JosueZQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: My First Flight!!!

im so fucking jealous....all i do is play flight simulator in my spare time.
Intimidator 355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

Fucking sweet dude. How much is it to do the private license? That is definitely one thing I want to look into as a hobby. A guy at my work used to do it but he said it was hella expensive.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:09 AM   #4
Nation Affiliate

MESM 10 

looks like a blast

OVRW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
\_(ツ)_/

355 O.G.  Nation Elite  OG Lifetime Contributing Member  Nation Advocate 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Very cool, definitely one of the things I was hoping to be able to do someday. I'd actually like to have a plane though, but it's extremely expensive to keep one from what I understand.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Quadruple O.G.

355 O.G.  TOTM Winner  Nation Elite  Contributing Member  Nation Advocate  Calendar Spread  355 Celebrity  NESM 08  NESM 09 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

Nice. Looks like a blast.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Nation Advocate

Send a message via AIM to echo2302

Thats awesome bro. I'd be taking a shit, I have a fear of heights.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Moto

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Dude, that's so fucking cool. It seems like a nice little airport. Where is it? I'm from Dover, OH about 45 min. south of you, is it in that direction?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Nation Master

355 O.G.  Chapter Founder  TOTM Winner  Nation Elite  Contributing Member  How-To CM  SuperMeet Organizer  Nation Advocate  Calendar Spread  355 Celebrity  NESM 08  NESM 09 

It's in Wadsworth, OH. About 25 mins west of Akron down I-76.

And this deffinatly isn't going to be a cheap venture! By the time it's all said and done, it'll probably be over $4,000. But again, that's cheaper than if I wait to get it at the school, plus that's less time that I have to spend out there also. Another reason it's a tad expensive is that I'm flying in the 172 as opposed to a 152. The 172's are bigger and have a backseat. The 152's are smaller than you could imagine! It's just you and the instructor and you're basically sitting on eachothers laps!! But, it's about $1,500 LESS than a 172. I don't have a problem paying the extra money for the bigger plane. Plus he said anytime I wanna bring someone up, the backseat is always open!

And it would be pretty cool to have your own plane, but I'd be worried about the maintenance on it. The instructor said you could get a used 172 for between $35-$50K and like a 182(lot bigger) for under $70K. But it's really pretty reasonable to rent planes. This place rents the 172's for $75 an hour. That might seem expensive to some, but when you think about it, it's really not compared to say how expensive it is to own a boat and how little time you have to enjoy one here in ohio. Plus they only charge you for the time the engine is running, not how long you have the plane. It's gonna be sweet to fly somewhere on the weekend or something!!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
3'' of glory

355 O.G.  Military Service  Chapter Founder  TOTM Winner  Nation Elite  Contributing Member  How-To CM  Calendar Spread  Skitz Award  355Loyalty  NESM 09  NESM 10  NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

that is fucking awesome bro. now you have to fly to VA for a local meet lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Meeting Darek should be on everyone's 'bucket list'. Really.

RIP Forrest & Joe
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Nation Master

You've got my word on that!!! I love going new places and meeting new people, especially 355'ers! This will make it much easier, except I won't have my truck with me! lol
Old 10-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
Nation Citizen

355 O.G. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosueZQ8 View Post
You've got my word on that!!! I love going new places and meeting new people, especially 355'ers! This will make it much easier, except I won't have my truck with me! lol
WTF? Rent a cargo plane. We can have a 355Nation meet in the sky.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
Nation Elite

355 O.G.  Nation Elite  Contributing Member  How-To CM  WCSM 09 

dude thas freakn awesome! I always wanted to fly a plane even if it is a lil cessna flying is flying!! My ex ex ex ex girlfriend was in a lil pilots school thing and she started flying planes a few years back i was so jealous! i hope to fly one day, being way up in the sky would be so much fun! MAybe one day ill fly something! G~luck to you man thats freakn sweet!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Nation Citizen

Military Service  Contributing Member  Nation Advocate 

Send a message via AIM to LOKi Send a message via MSN to LOKi Send a message via Yahoo to LOKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonZ71 View Post
WTF? Rent a cargo plane. We can have a 355Nation meet in the sky.
355 nation mile high truck club

i guess i am a christian... i am fueled by hate and greed.... and lots of alcohol
LOKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
Nation Advocate

im currently working on mine as well, then it is off to helicopter school

my company (cirrus design) is paying for about 75% of the private license and all of the airtime.

and best yet i get to fly a cirrus sr20 to learn on. fuck ya ive got a parachute in my plane
lifted club member #7, gun toting american#1 (see the shitty site for details)
07 silverado reg cab 4x4 5.3
71 triumph gt-6 3.0tt nissan w/650hp!!!(approx 850lb car)
67.5 datsun srl-311 2.0 roadster
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2212222
http://i10.tinypic.com/2e5426d.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215008
for life
fixitman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
Nation Advocate

Quote:
It's in Wadsworth, OH. About 25 mins west of Akron down I-76.

And this deffinatly isn't going to be a cheap venture! By the time it's all said and done, it'll probably be over $4,000. But again, that's cheaper than if I wait to get it at the school, plus that's less time that I have to spend out there also. Another reason it's a tad expensive is that I'm flying in the 172 as opposed to a 152. The 172's are bigger and have a backseat. The 152's are smaller than you could imagine! It's just you and the instructor and you're basically sitting on eachothers laps!! But, it's about $1,500 LESS than a 172. I don't have a problem paying the extra money for the bigger plane. Plus he said anytime I wanna bring someone up, the backseat is always open!

And it would be pretty cool to have your own plane, but I'd be worried about the maintenance on it. The instructor said you could get a used 172 for between $35-$50K and like a 182(lot bigger) for under $70K. But it's really pretty reasonable to rent planes. This place rents the 172's for $75 an hour. That might seem expensive to some, but when you think about it, it's really not compared to say how expensive it is to own a boat and how little time you have to enjoy one here in ohio. Plus they only charge you for the time the engine is running, not how long you have the plane. It's gonna be sweet to fly somewhere on the weekend or something!!
go to cirrusdesign.com and look at the new srs sport

it is a two seater and has detachable wings new it is in the 90k range but no hanger fees as you can store it in a trailer in your yard, and it has an airframe parachute as well.

also for free faa tests and study guides go to sportys.com and sign up
lifted club member #7, gun toting american#1 (see the shitty site for details)
07 silverado reg cab 4x4 5.3
71 triumph gt-6 3.0tt nissan w/650hp!!!(approx 850lb car)
67.5 datsun srl-311 2.0 roadster
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2212222
http://i10.tinypic.com/2e5426d.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215008
for life
fixitman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
3'' of glory

355 O.G.  Military Service  Chapter Founder  TOTM Winner  Nation Elite  Contributing Member  How-To CM  Calendar Spread  Skitz Award  355Loyalty  NESM 09  NESM 10  NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
who cares if you dont have a truck your a 355er
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Meeting Darek should be on everyone's 'bucket list'. Really.

RIP Forrest & Joe
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #18
Nation Master

Sponsored Links
Advertisement