Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

VCIM (Onstar) module removal

29K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mdcrabbie 
#1 ·
Anybody know how to remove the Onstar module? It's under the dash to the right of the glovebox. You can pop off a small access panel on the side and see it but is there any trick to getting it out?

#2 ·
So, is there a way to disable OnStar completely? Yes

OnStar spokesperson Brynn Guster tweeted, "when you start your service, it is enabled. This does begin until Dec. 1 and you can opt out by calling 1-888-4ONSTAR."

We contacted OnStar to clarify the language on the terms and conditions. The vice president of subscriber services, Joanne Finnorn, told us, "if the customer requests us to turn off the two-way connection, we will do as we have always done, and that is honor customers' requests."

"Our guiding practices regarding sharing our subscribers' personal information have not changed. We are always very specific about with whom we share customers' personal information, and how they will use it. We have never sold any personally identifiable information to any third party," Finnorn said about selling user data.

#3 · (Edited)
Communication Interface Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

Note: The vehicle communication interface module (VCIM) has a specific set of unique
numbers that tie the module to each vehicle. These numbers, the 10-digit station
identification (STID) and the 11-digit electronic serial number (ESN), are used by the
National Cellular Network and OnStar® to identify the specific vehicle. Because these
numbers are tied to the vehicle identification number of the vehicle, you must never
exchange these parts with those of another vehicle.

1. Ensure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

2. Remove the service panel located on the right side of the instrument panel (I/P).

3. Disconnect the VCIM electrical connectors as necessary.

4. Remove the screw retaining the VCIM to the bracket.

5. Release the tab (1) on the bracket.

6. Remove the VCIM from the bracket.

7. Remove the VCIM from the vehicle.

#4 ·
Thanks Rich,
you are always a fountain of knowledge. I just purchased a used bluetooth equiped onstar module and gonna send it to a company to have it reflashed to my vin. Hopefully I'll have working bluetooth AND Onstar, at least until my subscription ends. Tired of paying for it and buying their expensive calling minutes. Will keep ya'll posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.