Torsion Bar Crank - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area > Chassis > Lifting

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 AM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Premium Member

Contributing Member Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Torsion Bar Crank

Trying to not beat a dead horse here. Been searching for some info on cranking up TB. I know that this question has been asked many time, just haven't been able to find it. I am getting ready to lift the ol rado in a couple of weeks. Once all parts are here. But what I really need to know is there a ratio for how many turns on the tb bolts to how much lift.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Nation Affiliate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Torsion Bar Crank

I could have sworn there was a great "how to" for this on the site, but I was wrong. But If you can view this web site, it has a great explanation and how to of the TB crank lift. TB Crank lift After you (if you do) do the lift, make sure you look into lowering your front differential at the same time to reduce the stress on your CV boots.
Speakers Infinity Reference 6030ci (Front doors) Infinity Kapa 62.9i (Rear Doors)
Subwoofers Subthump Downfire Box W/ Alpine SWR-1043D
Amps Alpine MRP-M500
Exterior
Double Spray-On Bed Linner, Custom 4x4 Decal, 16" MB Gunner 6, 245/75/16 Hankook Dynapros AT, Large Fender Flares
Performance
K&N Cold Air Intake,Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler
Lift
2" Shackles and TB Crank
Xbox Live Gamer Tag DannerNaff
God Bless Everyone
Dan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Premium Member

Garage

Hey thank for the links.... I as well thought there was something on here about it as well. No where to be found. I am dropping the diff as well. Just ran out of $$$. Order spacers when I ordered body lift from SMAXX.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Nation Master

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Something you need to do when fine tuning the ride height is to test drive the vehicle. "pushing the bumper" won't give you an accurate reading. The tires have to be resettled into driving position before height is set. I would at least pull out of your driveway or drive down your street and back. It probably doesn't hurt to allow the suspension to work for a mile or so anyway. I lost 1/4" from "lowering the jack" to driving it.

I recommend counting the amount of turns you turn the bolt. Mark it so you know when it's made a full revolution. Also, take several key measurements around the vehicle to confirm you have achieved the desired lift amount.

Don't space your diff. lower than 3/4" without longer bolts. Depending on how much lift, you may not need to space even 3/4". It would probably be a good idea to order up the shock spacer for the front shocks unless you are replacing the shocks with extended length.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

Socket needed 1 1/16"

About 7/16" ~ 3/8" per one revolution of the TB bolt.

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Premium Member

Garage

So do I need to loosen the shocks when I do the crank. I know the Smaxx keys come with extenders. Did not even think about that. Well since I am doing Shackles in the rear probably 2" will guess need to raise the front close to 3". Think I will need shock extenders?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+x

355Nation Admin Chapter Founder Nation Elite OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor SuperMeet Organizer Nation Advocate Calendar Spread MTS Skitz Award 355Loyalty NESM 08 NESM 09 NESM 10 NESM 11 NESM 2013 

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody1 View Post
So do I need to loosen the shocks when I do the crank. I know the Smaxx keys come with extenders. Did not even think about that. Well since I am doing Shackles in the rear probably 2" will guess need to raise the front close to 3". Think I will need shock extenders?
IMO 3" front lift is bad for the upper ball joints unless you have an off-set adapter plate with a correcting ball joint angle.

Before you crank your TB's, replace your front shocks first. The CV shafts will block the lower shock bolt and makes it a PITA to get to. Just remember to get a front end alignment when all the lifting mods are done.

Email/PAYPAL 1auction@optonline.net
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

SuperModulation Services and Sales

Project: BRUISER "Tough little Bastard"
Supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Premium Member

Garage

I have already replaced my shocks. Did that earlier this year. Went with Rancho RS9000 adjustable. I am planning on doing the BJ flip as well. Already have the metal to do that. Also doing SMAXX 1.5 body lift at the same time. Just short on $$ for keys.. Yes will be getting an alignment, getting new tires when I am done. Just have to get it raised, so that I know how big of tire to go with.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Nation Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody1 View Post
I have already replaced my shocks. Did that earlier this year. Went with Rancho RS9000 adjustable. I am planning on doing the BJ flip as well. Already have the metal to do that. Also doing SMAXX 1.5 body lift at the same time. Just short on $$ for keys.. Yes will be getting an alignment, getting new tires when I am done. Just have to get it raised, so that I know how big of tire to go with.
Did you get the extended length shock?

I installed SMAXX shackles at 1.5" and I am unable to lift the front enough to get it level. I sit with about 1/2" of rake. If I raise it 1/4" additional, the UCA rubs the bump stops that SMAXX provides. That translates into no suspension action.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
RIP-Forrest August(Skitz)

Military Service TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to crazyeyez Send a message via MSN to crazyeyez Send a message via Yahoo to crazyeyez

i have the SMAXX 2" rear shackles on the 2" setting and cranked the front to level. all four corners of the truck are within a half inch of each other. if i remember right, we did 8full turns of the TB bolts, i then drove around the block and she was pretty much on level.
SMaxx BullMaxx opt3, 2 KC DayLighter 130w longrange, 2 KC DayLighter 130w drivinglights, 150amp alt, Big3
*1997 Grand Am SE --PARTING OUT-- (*see album*) *2009 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom XL883C (few mods)
<CAP CHAP><GEORGIA355><REVIEW-LundTri-Fold><ROOF RACK REVIEW>
crazyeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Nation Master

I WISH I could get that much taller. That extra 1/2" in the back would give it just enough more clearance on appearance to satisfy me. But the front can't come up anymore.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
RIP-Forrest August(Skitz)

Military Service TOTM Winner Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member Calendar Spread 355Loyalty 100K SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to crazyeyez Send a message via MSN to crazyeyez Send a message via Yahoo to crazyeyez

hmmm. i didnt replace my bumpstops, maybe thats how i can. i dunno.
SMaxx BullMaxx opt3, 2 KC DayLighter 130w longrange, 2 KC DayLighter 130w drivinglights, 150amp alt, Big3
*1997 Grand Am SE --PARTING OUT-- (*see album*) *2009 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom XL883C (few mods)
<CAP CHAP><GEORGIA355><REVIEW-LundTri-Fold><ROOF RACK REVIEW>
crazyeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Nation Master

I am referring to the stops that connect to the UCA that SMAXX supplies. It keeps the UCA from banging. I leveled it up in the garage and when I pulled out of the garage and hit a bump in the street at my driveway I think the front end jumped off the ground since there was no rebound. haha I could remove them and raise the truck, but they obviously provide them for a reason.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
I am referring to the stops that connect to the UCA that SMAXX supplies. It keeps the UCA from banging. I leveled it up in the garage and when I pulled out of the garage and hit a bump in the street at my driveway I think the front end jumped off the ground since there was no rebound. haha I could remove them and raise the truck, but they obviously provide them for a reason.
Yup, they are provided for just that reason. Metal on urethane is better than metal on metal. Did u flip your upper balljoints?
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
Nation Master

I just did the BJ flip this weekend. I'm done tweaking, had the alignment done today! All is good, I have it set to about 1/4" rake so I can still carry cargo. Although I am only lifted 1.5" in the rear and near level the BJ's were not sitting at bad angles. I guess the UCA benefited slightly from the extra 1/4" or so of adjustment. I didn't space, just remounted on the underside.

I agree metal on metal isn't good. That's why I had to lower the front. After the flip, the truck seemed to magically grow. I did two turns on the torsion bolts on the driver side (it was still the low side). Went out for errands and such then later measured and the front was taller than the back. I backed the bolt down one turn and left it at that.

That reminds me, I need to see if the shop made any adjustments to the bolts. I told him to check the ride height but make sure he doesn't lower the front so it's any more than 1/4" from the back.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
SuspensionMAXX Site Sponsor

Military Service OG Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM Nation Vendor 355 Celebrity MTS 

Send a message via Yahoo to ssgjurista

Sounds like you have your height on point!
: Click Here!
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: Click Here!
PerforMAXX Body Lift: Click Here!
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #17
Nation Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Sounds like you have your height on point!
Yeah, I'm satisfied.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 11-05-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
Premium Member

Military Service Contributing Member How-To CM 100K SESM 11 SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
Yeah, I'm satisfied.
Looks good, what size tires are those?

DIG EM
2005 Colorado Z71 2WD
DigEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
Nation Master

Thanks....

265/75-16 (31.7x10.5) Duratrac

All specs in my signature.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
New To The Nation

Garage

so i just cranked my TB, did 5 revolutions on each side. do i need to do anything after all that?
1BAMFcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement