Trying to get rid of painted pinstripes - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum  
Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > General > Members Garage > Painter's Booth

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Nation Elite

Calendar Spread 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trying to get rid of painted pinstripes

Well I am trying to remove painted pinstriping, I was wondering if anyone had anysuggestions on the best way to get them off doing the least amount of damage to the paint, so far in my research has shown these suggestions: laquer thinner, easy off oven cleaner??, or traditional sanding and buffing.... Any suggestions here? Know that any of these work? Also its not just some thin stripes down the side someone laid some pretty poor cut vinyl graphics on the side too and then outlined with pinstriping also.I really don't want to have to come up with some design to cover these up I want a clean truck....Thanks!

Last edited by Bullitt96; 02-28-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Bullitt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Nation Citizen

Contributing Member How-To CM Public Service 355Loyalty 

Re: Trying to get rid of painted pinstripes

duck_striping does pinstripping. message him, he may know the best way.
jrotundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
maniac mechanic

Nation Elite Lifetime Contributing Member How-To CM 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have seen it done with a buffing wheel, but I'd be too scared to attempt it myself. I would just bring it to a body guy and see if they give you a reasonable offer to remove it, then the liability is on them to get it right.
FixxxerKH202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Nation Affiliate

Military Service NESM 10 SESM 09 SESM 10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt96 View Post
Well I am trying to remove painted pinstriping, I was wondering if anyone had anysuggestions on the best way to get them off doing the least amount of damage to the paint, so far in my research has shown these suggestions: laquer thinner, easy off oven cleaner??, or traditional sanding and buffing.... Any suggestions here? Know that any of these work? Also its not just some thin stripes down the side someone laid some pretty poor cut vinyl graphics on the side too and then outlined with pinstriping also.I really don't want to have to come up with some design to cover these up I want a clean truck....Thanks!

I have had good luck with Easy Off on painted lettering on a truck doors. That was pin stripe enamel with out a hardner. I do not know what your stripe paint was, do you? Good luck.
Old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Nation Elite

Calendar Spread 

No unfortuantely I do not but the quality is not that great as part of it is starting to chip and peel off already as it is dont know if that gives a clue or not or if there even is a way to tell...

Thanks for the input!
Bullitt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Wat r u sinking about?

Nation Elite Contributing Member Calendar Spread Skitz Award SESM 10 SESM 11 MESM 10 

Send a message via Yahoo to canyonbrian

Sticky situation you got there, even for a paint and body guy. I would remove the vinyl striping with a stripe wheel (looks and feels like a big eraser). As said above it depends on the product used and if it had a hardener. If it is just enamel you can use enamel reducer (cold weather/fast dry). Using any solvent method can cause paint problems.

If it is a quality stripe material you have bigger problems, as it will likely need to be sanded off and buffed, but... If that is not done right there is a chance of being able to see where it was.
I agree with taking it to a shop, it may cost $200/300 but will not cost you a 3/5k paint job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtw191 View Post
haha i dont think its so much the fact of looking at the tits, she just has a nice computer and would murder me if it got infected.....as mine did when i watched pudding farts with no antivirus.
canyonbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Premium Member

Contributing Member Lifetime Contributing Member NESM 08 NESM 09 MESM 10 MESM 11 SECSM2012 

We use oven cleaner all the time to get them off, works great, just don't let it dry on the paint. keep it wet and cover any plastic parts like moldings, headlights, etc.
parkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Nation Affiliate

Garage

By accident I have driped fuel on my stripe (differant rig) and POOF the were gone.
A cleaner wax can cut then off too. My stripes on my hood are going away from wax and Clay Bar Oh I forgot the Clay bar works too. good luck.
Advertisement