Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Photography...

174K views 2K replies 202 participants last post by  Lsearle 
#1 ·
After reading/answering a thread in the off-topic forum I could see that we have a lot of Photographers here. I figured I would start a thread for people to talk a lil about their equipment, their favorite shots, etc, etc.

Maybe one day this will grow into its own forum section, but we'll see how it goes for now.

Personally I've been shooting for almost 10 years, professionally for 6. I'm a Canon guy and love my 50d, have a few different pieces of glass but saving up now for the 16-35L (drool)

Some of my favorite shots include:

See less See more
#305 ·
aperture wide open? (low#) allows more light in
slow the shutter speed as well, you can use a tripod to steady the camera while shutter is open for seconds at a time to gather the natural light in the area.

#306 ·
I don't recall the actual settings. I essentially took a billion photos until I got some that look nice. Bear in mind it was my first time out. This being said...with more practice I will be able to get better. I should go buy a tripod and remote to ensure there is absolutely no camera shake....but that will be in a month or so.

#321 ·
where is that, do you know what kind of birds those are thats intense

#322 ·
springfield illinois, springfield lake. I heard on the news they were a mix of blue/grey geese.
The pics do not do it justice! in the water there was a patch as big as 2 football fields. My camera would only get about 1/2 at a time fully zoomed out. I only had 1 lens with me.

#323 ·
shitty but great, but atleast you got to c it

#327 ·
General critique for some of the photos I've seen here:

1. Straighten your horizon. The photo should not be tilted unless you are doing it on purpose. Definately not on a landscape.

2. Use the rule of thirds. Try not to cut the photo into halves. Half sky and half water is cut in half. The bird shot would be awesome if the water was only one third of the frame at the bottom like this:

3. Be aware of negative space. A photo with large areas that are shaded and too dark is not good. Photos are supposed to be about color and light not shadows.

4. Compose your shots. Your subject should dominate the frame. If you can't tell what the subject of your photo is then you failed.

#329 · (Edited)
Thanks pappa, I had a hard time focusing while aiming a bit higher. Did you also brighten a bit? I think I tend to go a bit dark in fear of washout. No tripod and the wind was a bit cold so I was panning a bit while holding the shutter release in burst mode. All tips are greatly helpfull and apreciated!
Is this one better?

#330 · (Edited)
The horizon is crooked. Where you on a boat? The reason I ask is a lower perspective would have been more striking. It's funny you mention all the variables in getting the shot. Most people have no idea how difficult some shots are to get. It took me two years to get the right conditions to get this shot. Only a couple cars went past while the light was right.

#331 ·
I guess my problem is telling where to judge the horizon, the birds were not in a straight line and the land is rounded as well. What would I use as a reference point?

#333 ·
So the horizon does not have to be the skyline? I should have used the birds in the water to line it up?
It is starting to look like a Stephen King movie around here so this will be the last shot of the birds, maybe this shot is more astheticly pleasing?

#334 ·
That one is much better.

For a horizon reference, just look for any horizontal line and use the AF points in the view finder or a grid if you use a live view to get it straight.

#343 ·
Thanks! I need photoshop to match the lab colors.(using gimp for now)
A local kid that was hangin around while I helped fix a bike, and yes I was playin with my new flash. Bounced off the wood wall in the garage. I just printed a 4x6 to send to his mother with my contact info on it...we will see???

#346 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to get into photography but I don't want to jump too far ahead of myself. I have been looking at a fuji camera we have at work to start with. It is a S1500 and it looks pretty solid for a beginner, what do you guys thing? I can get 80 bucks off of it at work so I thin I will go with it.

#360 ·
A gray card give you a ref point . It is used in printing . It helps you to do a set up
when you change paper packs. You run test strips to match the gray card you shot
on the roll of film. Try to use the same film like in a pro pack.( 5 rolls of 120 or 220 )
Hope that helps you understand a little .
glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.