Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

5cyl Screamer....

54K views 360 replies 42 participants last post by  Skizzo 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the short [long time not so short list of mods haha] story of my truck... told through mostly pictures...

Index:

Starting point - first few weeks of ownership
First modification - CD Player
ricer mod - underbody LEDs
Bedliner
Remove underbody LEDs
Borla Muffler
DJM 3/4 Lowering kit
Intake Snorkel Mod
You stopped...WHY?!
Remove interior cathodes, switches, sub/amp, and tow hitch
Concept for Truck
New CD player
New sub/amp
AEM Intake
black interior carpet
PTB and supersparks
Xtreme 18s
Another new CD player
Cowl hood, projector headlights with HIDs, and new marker lights
Dual hi/low headlight mod for MOAR LIGHT
halos, signals, license plate lights, and HIDs
H3 seats
Headstuds and KPE header
White gauge needles and white LED cluster with chrome gauge bezels.
Belltech F/R Anti-Sway Bars
KR Fabs low-pro transmission crossmember
Supermod SFAN4500
Checkmate Tonneau

Within first week of purchase:

Added CD player since my truck didn't have one stock:

(Unfortunate ricer stage) Added blue underglow and grille LEDs:

switches to control the underbody and interior lights..

Added 2 12" Kenwood subs with ~1400W autotek [originally Sony XPLOD amp ~800W] going to them in a sealed custom box. Also included blue cold cathodes inside the box and under the dash and seats (no pics of them, used to have some but cant find em):

Installed new 6.5" Kenwood door speakers:

Back to Top!

Added carpet bedliner...still going strong ~8 years later!:

Removed underbody and grille LEDs a few months after installing them...

Installed this in place of stock muffler and dumped right after (no visible exhaust):

Lowered truck 3/4:

old pic of me with truck after lowering

Snorkel mod! :

Back to Top!

And then the modding stopped.....

Okay so it slowed to a trickle....

Good times were still had though, Blue Springs meet in July 2006:

Removed the interior blue lighting.

a few months after that I removed and sold my system.

Removed and sold stock tow hitch

Developed a concept for what I wanted to do with my truck (included bagging/SFBD/20" wheels/choppedtop/custom paint):

Needless to say plans have changed though I still like the paint idea...

~3 years after purchasing and 1.5 years from last mod:

Installed new CD player:

~1 year after CD Player installed new system: 12" Kicker CVR 800W mono amp in custom box

(Pic is not from when it was first installed)

~1 or 2 years after CD player I installed the Supermod PTB and supersparks!

Back to Top!

~3 years after CD Player

Installed AEM intake:
Can't find any pics though I know I took some.. :/

Installed black carpet in the cab OVER TOP of the stock vinyl:

Installed Xtreme 18's:

Got these in December:

And just last week got the truck back from the bodyshop with new Goodmark cowl hood, Spec-d projectors, and corner lights:

Back to Top!

Well guys over the last week I have made a bit of progress. I was able to install my LED license plate lights, put 35w 5000k HIDs in for my lows, and painted/dyed my H3 cloth buckets (they were tan) which are going in tomorrow!

LEDs/Halos no flash

LEDs/Halos with HID lows on:

License plate LEDs:

H3 seats, you can see overspray but I promise it is only because of the flash, they are a nice dark black around the sides even in direct sun:

Got my new header and head studs installed!

Added Belltech F/R Anti-sway bars to the mix, what a difference!

Sadly I couldn't really get a good pic of the swaybars with the truck only on floor jack/jack stands

Front

Rear

Added chrome gauge bezels, LED cluster, and white needles:

KR Fabs low pro transmission crossmember - this thing is sweet. Pics soon.

SFAN4500 EFAN - freaking AWESOME!

Checkmate Flush mount tonneau cover

Guess it ended up not being as short as I thought it was...

Back to Top!

Attachments

See less See more
#271 · (Edited)
Re: 11.5 years!! Head porting & more

Maybe M12 x 1.5? Don't recall.
I have no idea. Unless someone can get me the numbers I am just going to get an oem head bolt and get studs to match it.

Just have to throw this out there: The Spec 3+ is absolute crap. I would not recommend it.
@LLV.MA5 Unfortunately it is my only option for an i5 performance clutch (aside from other SPEC clutches).

#272 · (Edited)

If you're looking to do a lot of clutch slipping and planning on the clutch getting smoking hot, then a sintered metal clutch like the 3+ is your only choice. If you just want something that grabs hard and doesn't slip, you have other options. Head porting and cams doesn't necessarily increase torque, it usually just moves the torque curve higher into the rpm range and nets you more horsepower.

The Hummer H3 clutch is an upgrade. It is larger in diameter (280mm vs 265mm), it has marcel springs between the frictions for stock-like drivability and the frictions are semi-mettalic for fade resistance.

The biggest problem with the 3+ is there's no modulation. It's really on/off. That makes it hard to grab gears without blowing the tires away. 60' dragstrip times suffer due to either having to little or too much clutch slip.

It also chatters like crazy. There's nothing like watching your bed hop up and down in the rear view mirror in stop and go traffic.

The choice is yours. I just wanted you to have a fair warning because it's such an expensive clutch. The 3+ is #1 on my list of worst mods ever done to my truck.

Also, I've got the 4 cylinder version. Maybe you'll get lucky and the 5 cylinder clutch will be totally different...

#273 ·

If you're looking to do a lot of clutch slipping and planning on the clutch getting smoking hot, then a sintered metal clutch like the 3+ is your only choice. If you just want something that grabs hard and doesn't slip, you have other options. Head porting and cams doesn't necessarily increase torque, it usually just moves the torque curve higher into the rpm range and nets you more horsepower.

The Hummer H3 clutch is an upgrade. It is larger in diameter (280mm vs 265mm), it has marcel springs between the frictions for stock-like drivability and the frictions are semi-mettalic for fade resistance.

The biggest problem with the 3+ is there's no modulation. It's really on/off. That makes it hard to grab gears without blowing the tires away. 60' dragstrip times suffer due to either having to little or too much clutch slip.

It also chatters like crazy. There's mothing like watching your bed hop up and down in the rear view mirror in stop and go traffic.

The choice is yours. I just wanted you to have a fair warning because it's such an expensive clutch. The 3+ is #1 on my list of worst mods ever done to my truck.

Also, I've got the 4 cylinder version. Maybe you'll get lucky and the 5 cylinder clutch will be totally different...
@LLV.MA5 I see. The problem is I'm also looking at running a 75-100+ shot of nitrous in the future which will definitely give me a huge torque boost. I'm not sure how long something like an h3 clutch would last. Also, which H3 clutch would I get? OEM from GM parts direct? Rockauto clutches for the H3 are all the same as canyon/colorado at 265mm.

#276 ·

I really do think it would hold, but i have no hard data to back up that claim. Might be worth a try since they only run $150 or so. No doubt the drivability will be much better than a sintered metal clutch.

FWIW, I ran my stock tiny 4cyl clutch at over 400 ft.lb (engine) torque for quite a while. It held fine once it was engaged. It would only slip if I grabbed a gear while in boost.

#277 · (Edited)

Yeah the clutch is only 150 which is definitely nice. Saves a bunch of money over the SPEC clutch. For 150 and the fact that I probably won't be adding nitrous for a while still I guess it makes more sense to go with the H3 for now and if I need to upgrade later I can.
@LLV.MA5 I see that it includes pressure plate and friction disc but does it include the throwout and pilot bearings?

#322 ·

Yeah the clutch is only 150 which is definitely nice. Saves a bunch of money over the SPEC clutch. For 150 and the fact that I probably won't be adding nitrous for a while still I guess it makes more sense to go with the H3 for now and if I need to upgrade later I can.
@LLV.MA5 I see that it includes pressure plate and friction disc but does it include the throwout and pilot bearings?
I'm not sure if I already posted this or not. Just so you can feel good about going OEM over Spec, here's a video of what to expect from a Spec 3+ clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLRT7iVx_E

#279 · (Edited)

No, I don't think the bearings are included.
@LLV.MA5 okay it didn't look like it. One last question: Is the release bearing part of the slave cylinder or sold with it in our trucks? thanks for all the help!

#281 · (Edited)

@1BADI5 you alive dude? lol

Also, anyone have suggestions for refreshing the trans before I use it? It has been sitting for a few years and I plan to replace the input shaft seal, output shaft seal, shift tower seal (I cant find this?), and anything else? The slave cylinder has only 9600 miles on it but it has been sitting for a while. Moved freely when I pressed on it though.

#282 ·

T/O is part of the slave, I'm not sure if it's separately serviceable.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to put in another vote for the H3 disk. At 11" it's bigger than the clutches used in LS1 Camaros. Not sure about clamp load though.

#283 · (Edited)

T/O is part of the slave, I'm not sure if it's separately serviceable.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to put in another vote for the H3 disk. At 11" it's bigger than the clutches used in LS1 Camaros. Not sure about clamp load though.
@limequat Yeah I am thinking I may just go ahead and do the h3 clutch since I'm not sure when I will set up nitrous on the truck. I'm just going to hope the h3 clutch will have enough clamping force to hold the few times i spray once I do have nitrous installed. If not, well I dunno but I'll figure it out then.

What got me asking about the slave/throwout is that they are sold separately (and together as slave "with bearing") on rockauto but seemed like they were part of the same assembly.

#284 ·

I'm alive.......

The last month has been focused on home improvement projects and family stuff.

....Good news, house projects are done, one more family trip and I'm going back into car/truck mode

...I have a 06 Xrteme now and I'm picking up a Yukon tonight to replace the S10 for winter/family duties

#285 ·

I'm alive.......

The last month has been focused on home improvement projects and family stuff.

....Good news, house projects are done, one more family trip and I'm going back into car/truck mode

...I have a 06 Xrteme now and I'm picking up a Yukon tonight to replace the S10 for winter/family duties
@1BADI5 Glad to hear it man! lol So you have an 06 xtreme and your 04? What are you getting yourself into? lol

#286 ·

@Skizzo

Chaos and mayhem.........

Yup, my 04 and 06 355s

and tonight I will have an 08 Tahoe and 99 Yukon..... color matched :kiki:

#287 ·

@Skizzo

Chaos and mayhem.........

Yup, my 04 and 06 355s

and tonight I will have an 08 Tahoe and 99 Yukon..... color matched :kiki:
Sounds like trouble. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for the xtreme.

#288 ·

The Xtreme will go up for sale soon since I just bought this Yukon

But no fear..... the Yukon will get some love, I'm thinking V8 power mods, tires and some type of suspension modifications

#289 ·

@1BADI5 the trans i picked up has only 9600 miles and the slave cylinder is still attached. It is an 05 that has been sitting in the warehouse for a while i think, drained. The slave seems to move freely, would it be okay to re-use or should I go ahead and purchase a new slave cylinder to run with it? I have 170k miles on my oem clutch and trans etc. I was thinking of also replacing the clutch master cylinder too.

#290 · (Edited)

Currently building up a parts list for the major mods to come (revised):

ported head, valve job, and head mill
cam regrinds
07+ beehive valve springs (GM 12592506)
front/rear main seal (Timken/National 710551 F-710602 R, GM 89017622F-89018205 R)
timing chain tensioner (GM 12598504)
belt tensioner (GATES/ACDELCO 38178, OEM GM 12573024)
clutch master (AMS M0488, GM 24249143)
maybe? clutch slave (GM 24263807)
flywheel (AMS 167584, GM 19177876)
flywheel bolts (GM 12568932)
pressure plate bolts (GM 11518102)
H3 11" clutch (pressure plate & friction disc) (GM 24230633)
short throw shifter kit (Core shifters)
input/output shaft seals for transmission (NATIONAL 223253 I - 710689 O, GM 89048307 O 4WD, GM 89048306 2WD)

Head bolt specs: M11x2x145 and M6X1X88.3

What are the pressure plate bolt specs? I have seen the flywheel bolt specs as M10x1x23.7mm would an m10x1x25mm be too long or an M10x1x20mm too short? Fastenal carries Grade 10.9 bolts in both of those sizes.

Are there any other parts anyone would recommend for this? Main wear or issue items that should be replaced?

#291 ·
Re: Head porting, cams, clutch/trans swap & more

@limequat @Supermodulation what is your opinion on keeping VVT with the cam regrind and tuning it?

Was reading and came across this post which got me thinking a little more: Basic VVT Tuning info

#294 ·

Well, I would definitely say keep the VVT. Unfortunately, on the 2004-2007 PCMs there's not a lot to change on the cam timing by way of tuning.

Knowing that, I suppose it would make sense to try to tailor your regrind specs to this scenario. My guess would be to try to keep the overlap the same. Increase lift as much as you can and probably not mess with intake duration.

Would be nice to have some real cam experts weigh in here.

#295 · (Edited)

Well, I would definitely say keep the VVT. Unfortunately, on the 2004-2007 PCMs there's not a lot to change on the cam timing by way of tuning.

Knowing that, I suppose it would make sense to try to tailor your regrind specs to this scenario. My guess would be to try to keep the overlap the same. Increase lift as much as you can and probably not mess with intake duration.

Would be nice to have some real cam experts weigh in here.
@limequat .... @efi-diy always seemed knowledgeable but hasn't been around in a while.

He does have this post which contains some cam info/suggestions: http://www.355nation.net/forum/limited-site-vendors/61305-billet-cam-blanks-unground-cam-cores.html

Then there was your cam thread that had some info on the ready-made cams you were/are selling:
Duration at 0.006" lift is 266/284 in/ex. Lobe lift is 0.270 or 0.405 at the valve.

Note the high exhaust duration. These cams are designed to make the most of the restrictive factory exhaust ports while also increasing intake flow.
So would I want to decrease exhaust duration (from that spec) along with increasing lift since I will be ported?

Does BATES Engeineering still make high performance valve springs/retainers and if so are they better than 07+ springs? Where can I find them? What about the OEM ecotec followers?

efi-diy in the cam thread mentioned - "That said a ported head with an aftermarket cams - 220*@050 .450" lift - STOCK intake and STOCK exhaust made 65 HP more with 2 points LESS compression! (4200 engine)."

Another train of thought since efi-diy mentioned in this thread that the atlas uses the same valvetrain (followers) as the ecotecs:
-Street (Stage 1) Applications power from 2600-6800rpm .423 intake and .419 exhaust valve lift, 252 intake and 256 exhaust duration advertized (210 intake and 212 exhaust @ .050" duration) Works best with computer modifications not required.
- Street & Strip (Stage 2) Applications power from 3000-7500rpm .440 intake and .436 exhaust valve lift, 258 intake and 262 exhaust duration advertized (216 intake and 218 exhaust @ .050" duration) Requires computer modifications
-Street & Strip high RPM (Stage 3) Applications power from 3500-8000rpm .456 intake and .453 exhaust lift, 264 intake and 268 exhaust duration advertized (222 intake and 224 exhaust @ .050" duration) Requires computer modification very strong power over 5000 RPM

A few threads with cam info for anyone following along:

http://www.355nation.net/forum/sale/85641-hi-performance-billet-cams-available-now-3.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/limited-site-vendors/61305-billet-cam-blanks-unground-cam-cores.html

#296 ·
Re: 5cyl Screamer - Ported, cammed, & more

Transmission and clutch parts/fluids ordered!

#298 ·

@ZMBKLN i got my original one from gmc then found this one on eBay. Both gmc branded. I would check eBay but I'm not sure they make this 6ft one anymore.

#299 ·
#300 ·

@limequat not to be a pest but you seem to be the only one who answers... With the 07+ beehive springs, do I need new spring retainers or anything else to use them in my head? Also, if I had the regrind target peak power around 6300rpm but planned to shift around 6800 would that be a good range for keeping in the power range after shift? I know it is hard or even impossible to answer without seeing a dyno and knowing all that info but I'm curious on any input or insight you might be able to give.

#301 ·

Can I answer@ skizzo? Lol Mind you I had to do this in the dark as some trees have fallen on power lines . But I checked some part # in the dark.

As far the valve train goes the 2 motors share quite a few parts. For the spring swap . Looks like it might be okay with just s the springs and retainers, everything else had the same part#.

Now idk if the 3.5 head needs the pockets machined to hold the newer springs because there was no info on their sizes. They may sit in there perfect but you never know.

Not alot of info anywhere to go by.

#302 ·

Can I answer@ skizzo? Lol Mind you I had to do this in the dark as some trees have fallen on power lines . But I checked some part # in the dark.

As far the valve train goes the 2 motors share quite a few parts. For the spring swap . Looks like it might be okay with just s the springs and retainers, everything else had the same part#.

Now idk if the 3.5 head needs the pockets machined to hold the newer springs because there was no info on their sizes. They may sit in there perfect but you never know.

Not alot of info anywhere to go by.
Anyone can answer that has info! Thanks!

For retainers, I'm not sure if they'd work because I think the valve stems are different sizes.

I wish I had a line to contact @efi-diy because he has a lot of experience with this stuff and I'm sure knows.

#304 · (Edited)

Yea no telling . I'd order a spring and retainer and see what you come up with.
@Joe canyon Springs are on the way already. Guess I'll have to add a retainer somewhere in one of these orders.

edit: just looked at valves on rockauto for 04, 08, 12 and it seems they have pretty much the same stem diameter. We're talking 10000ths of an inch difference in what is offered (even within the same year) and the valveguides are all the same size ID. So guess the retainers i have might work. Then again, beehive valves are shaped differently as well. hmmmm.

edit edit: GM parts direct shows the same part number for valve keepers but the retainers are a different number than 04-06.

#307 ·

Spoke with the machine shop that will be doing the valvejob, rebuild, and such on my head. He said he works with comp cams often so I may look into getting my cams done by comp through him as well. Getting closer and closer! My goal is to have it all ready by SESM.

Also, the boxes are rolling in with transmission parts right now. Expect pics soon!

#308 ·

What's in the boxes?! Hint sitting on top.

Attachments

#310 ·

Parts for the manual swap!
Yes! Clutch, flywheel, and all associated parts for replacing my current kinda broken 5 speed lol. I knew it wasn't tough but I always liked "Whats in the box?" haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.