truck wobble at low speed smooths out faster - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Go Back   Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum > Tech Area - First Generation (2004-2012) > Chassis > Wheels & Tires

355Nation.net is the premier Chevrolet Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Nation Affiliate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
truck wobble at low speed smooths out faster

idk what it is but it seems that while im accelerating and braking till about 30 mph it wobbles and i can feel the same in my steering wheel not sure what it could be either i have not changed anything by the way
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Nation Advocate

Re: truck wobble at low speed smooths out faster

Several things come to mind...tires out of balance, low tire pressure, loose lugs nuts, warped rotors, loose tire rod ends, ball joints, etc. It is something I'd get checked pretty quickly though.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Premium Member

Military Service Contributing Member How-To CM 100K SESM 11 SESM 2013 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage

^^^^What he said, one of these is probably the issue, or maybe even a worn out/loose hub.

DIG EM
2005 Colorado Z71 2WD
DigEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Nation Advocate

Yep, start and your tires and work your way inward.

Rotate your back wheels to the front. Make sure all of your lugs are torqued to 100ftlb. If this fixes the problem then your front wheels were out of balance. Get that fixed.

If you still have the problem, jack up the front end and check for play in your front wheels. Side to side play will indicate a bad balljoint or bad wheel bearings. Try and figure out where it's loose. Left to right play could be your tie rod ends.

Though less likely, check if you've got a warped rotor. Rotate your wheel to see if the rotor rubs. If you've got warped rotors you'll notice a greater wobble while breaking. I say this is less likely since you wobble without breaking, but they probably still need to be checked. Mine were warped after 20k.
BlueDragonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Nation Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

side-to-side motion of the wheel indicates steering linkage wear. Up and down play indicates ball joints. Grasp the tire at the twelve-o'clock and six-o'clock position and 'wiggle'. If no play is noticeable the ball joints are probably alright. Wiggle while grasping the tire at nine and three-o'clock is used to check tie rods/end. Don't push too hard or you will move the steering system. It won't harm anything but it could mislead you to thinking there was play when in reality you're moving the entire system.

If there is wobble in either test and the joints seem to be tight then it's something with the hub such as wheel bearings. Aside from the simple wheel-wiggle test (I just made that up), the next easiest thing is to rotate the tires from front to back. You could also inspect your tires to see if you can find where a weight was once mounted. You may have thrown a weight off the wheel. One last thing that comes to mind and is LEAST likely, your driveshaft threw a weight.

Oh, and I noticed you have a body lift on your truck. Maybe check over the body mounts, maybe some bolts have loosened up and your whole body is being tweaked under acceleration and braking??

Keep us posted to your findings.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement