Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

custom center console build

30K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  crazyeyez 
#1 · (Edited)
its an idea i've had for a while. something to replace the stock one. seen a few i like. nothing extreme (like Boyd had), just something fuctional.

couple insperationals...

i like the idea of having it fliptop armrest like JR, but i'd keep it full height to the dash. want to be able to stuff the CB radio into it, so just the front of the CB sticks out. and re mount the switches for my lights.
alot like this, actually.

i think some MDF like Matt used would be fine. just box it up, sand it down, and cover it with some padded vinyl. the armrest would be extra thick padding, of course

i had looked at some of the police intercepter style consoles, but those were all for full sizes and dont know if they'd fit. not to mention expensive.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: thinking about custom center console

yea, that last one is pretty tacky. but thats the basic idea i want, but with JR's armrest. lol. that last one would probably look better with some vinyl covering it

#5 · (Edited)

not too worried about 'glassing it, but sand that down some, round off the edges and cover it with some padded vinyl and it'd be good. the padding would cover up those awwwwwwwfull seams. lol

#6 · (Edited)

What is that console in the first pic?

Looks like something you could use as a starting-point, then reinforce and shape with panels of MDF or Lexan, then maybe fiberglass where needed to get whatever additional shaping, then upholster over the entire thing..
That's the way I imagine going at it...

I wish I could do the same..
I want to relocate my head unit so it's closer and easier to see the display.

If I could do that (relocate my stereo) then I want to make a slide-out mount to hide my Garmin GPS in the double-DIN space in the dash and disguise it to look like a factory radio.

A cool cupholder I saw in a '12 Malibu I rented a few months ago:
The dual cupholders were stationary, but they were recessed deep into the console.
There was sliding cover that closed over them when not in use.
The cover was very low-pro and sleek, but the design was like an old-fashioned roll-top-desk cover.

I'm sure there are others out there that are just as clever or more so, but I don't get much time in other vehicles, that one was just one I saw recently.

#9 ·

What is that console in the first pic?

Looks like something you could use as a starting-point, then reinforce and shape with panels of MDF or Lexan, then maybe fiberglass where needed to get whatever additional shaping, then upholster over the entire thing..
That's the way I imagine going at it...

I wish I could do the same..
I want to relocate my head unit so it's closer and easier to see the display.

If I could do that (relocate my stereo) then I want to make a slide-out mount to hide my Garmin GPS in the double-DIN space in the dash and disguise it to look like a factory radio.

A cool cupholder I saw in a '12 Malibu I rented a few months ago:
The dual cupholders were stationary, but they were recessed deep into the console.
There was sliding cover that closed over them when not in use.
The cover was very low-pro and sleek, but the design was like an old-fashioned roll-top-desk cover.

I'm sure there are others out there that are just as clever or more so, but I don't get much time in other vehicles, that one was just one I saw recently.
That first pic was a custom console, that someone on here built, I just don't remember who.

#7 ·

Less talk and more doing

#8 ·

Less talk and more doing
Yeah, really.

As I've often previously moaned and complained, I'm usually far from home for months at a time. It's a real adventure modding your truck in a motel parking-lot.

At the moment though I'm on a roll...
I've gotten way more done to my truck in the past 3 months that in the previous seven years..
OF course I had to pay someone else to install my rear sway-bar, my QA1 coilovers four weeks ago, my lo-pro crossmember last week, etc.

Next week is my efan install.. I'm pumped.

Thing is, I'd like to find out which is the console in that frst pic...
Looks like I may have a week or so at home next month.
I've got a growing list of do-it-yourself mods for that time...
I'd really like to get a start on a console build though.

#10 ·

i think i just might get a start on this next month, since my last truck payment is this month. thing that scares me the most is having to re-do all the wiring for my lights. lol

its an old pic, from when i first did the lights on the rack. the round posts are CB's for the lights. the two switches for the KC's on the BullMaxx are located next to the cupholders, right by those switches.

#12 ·

I was seriously about to start a new thread asking about consoles until i saw this one, i like the first pic you posted but not crazy about the others. I wanna do one similar to either pickles or aquavarious's, make it double as my sub box

#13 ·

I've seen a few sub boxes over the time. Would jus have to search thru here and find the pics.

I'll probably go buy a sheet or two of the mdf next month, since my truck will be paid off in a couple days. I guess now is the time to get the tape measure out and take notes. Lol.

#15 · (Edited)

Thanx. :D. I've got nothing major planned for now, but i dont think the boards would cost too much. And i got the tools already for it. Tho i gotta find the padding. Lol

#16 ·

checking out lowes.com (since lowes is all we got...)

1/2 x 48 x 96 MDF for $27.50... figure one board of that would be plenty. and one long piece of 1x3x8 ($1.46)that i could cut up and use to brace up the box on the inside.

then order up some of this to wrap it all up.
Marine Vinyl - Nassimi Seaquest Black Vinyl Fabric - Ebony

padding for the armrest i can grab at WalFart for $7 (site to store). sure i could find some somewhere else near by. nearest HobbyLobby is an hour away.

#18 ·

thanx for the link. i'l check it out

#19 ·

hopefully this weekend i'll actually get the tape measure out. got pretty much all the wood for the shell. wife broke one of the dressers for the kids, so that was scrap. and the larger pieces, top and sides mainly, are big enough for me to cut the sides out for the console.

i've got an idea for the switch board... plan to find a sheet of plastic board, about 1/4in or bit thinner. drill the holes out for the switches and put them on it.

also got a great idea on how to mount the CB... plan is to have the 1x3 as frame crossmembers on the inside, and i can mount the CB bracket to that. but how to screw the CB to the bracket? and how to hear the CB with out external speakers? simple, cut big hole on the sides of the console! :lol: idea is to find some speaker grills to cover the holes with. if i need inside the box, unscrew the grills. this would also make it easier if i had to fix some wiring or some shit.

#20 ·

i know its been a while, but but side tracked with having to replace the hub, cv axle, alternator, and new battery. that was slow going.

but being on leave, i have some time. had to clean the garage out anyway. gave me time to work with this.

i still gotta get it to fit the lines of the tranny hump. but that shouldnt be a problem. still gotta get some wood, some 2x4's if i can get ahold of some scrap. still needs some work, but i like how its going so far.

#21 ·
got some more work on it today. finished up the framing and cutting. today i took the seats and stock center console out of the truck so i could fit the new console in.

yea, carpet is crappy...

i lucked out. when i built the console up, i went of my measurments of how high i wanted it. i took the braket off the oem console and it lined up great. just needed three boards to make it sit level. so i pieced together a block for it.

this worked great. perfect height, lined up great.

then to figure a way to secure the front. didnt really want to bolt it to the floor. so i figured a way. used a board and some sefl taping screw (had on hand and right size). they dont hook tot he floor, but sit in the holes for the plastic tabs that hold the front of the oem console down.

then was moment of truth. console in and seats in.

fit like a damn glove!!!! still gotta fashon up the armrest lid. but need a hinge and some lock latch. thinking something off a kitchen cabnit. had to open the hole up some for the CB tho. had to extend it to the front. the anttena cord was hitting the floor. opened the hole, and the radio sits and more of an angle and lets the radio sit in lower in the box. and dont need to open the sides up, can hear the speaker on the CB just fine as is. and the radio sits in there pretty snug, no need for its bracket.

now to find a sturdy piece of plastic or something for a switch board, then cut out the cup holders.

heres a nice pic of my lovely wires, hidden under the console

#25 · (Edited)
#24 ·
:fugrin:

was actually a dresser drawer that the kids tore apart. lol. majority of the MDF is in great shape.

#26 ·
got some more work done. cup holder installed (used the plastic one from the rear bench of my truck). also got the swtich plate mocked up. used the cover from a old burnt out CB radio. cut it to fit, and even Sharpied my switches on it for refference.

i took the cup holders and trimmed away some of the plastic "skirt" so that the cup holders themselves sit flat on the wood. i then put two of the boards together for extra strength. i then stuffed the cupholders up into the hole i cut out for it, then stuffed the support for it in, screwing the boards to the sidewalls. cup holders are in there tight, but still screwed them to the boards under it.

then i cut the plate out of the CB radio housing. rounder the edges of it, then drew the switches on it. then cut the hole in the top board of the console and screwed the plate to the board.

now i still got to cover or paint. i'm leaning towards paint. get one of those DIY bedliner kits. first i'd fill in and smooth it all out with some wood putty or something. then cover it. the left over bedliner would then be used on my bike trailer. the arm rest will be thickly padded then wrapped in vinyl. might find a shop to do that, tho.

#27 ·
maybe run some inside corner trim where the console widens. might clean it up a little.
not necessarily this exact style, just for example...

another thing i would consider is following the angle of the front piece all the way up. basically, just angle cut the top piece to match it.

#28 ·
i have thought about closing that up, but as it is, i can hear the CB thru the gaps.

dont know if i'm all that worryed about the front over hang. once its installed in the truck, it isnt that noticeable. but i'll see what i can do.

#30 ·
i thought of actually using speaker grills, but the radio sits in there nice and snug, and i can hear it clearly enough as the console is now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.