Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the forum here! You guys seem awesome!

Hello everyone, a couple of weeks ago I bought my first truck, used from a dealer and absolutely love it! It’s a 3.7 crew cab. So far I haven’t had any issues crop up that I didn’t know about when I bought it. (I bought it with the fan resistor issue, no biggie) However the other day I was with my fiancé and we stopped at a gas station, left it running with her in it and music on and AC blasting, got back in and went to turn out and back up and it wasn’t having it. I pulled back into the parking space and noticed that 4Hi was on. Blamed it on the soon to be wife accidentally pushing buttons and dismissed it. Today, I dropped off a video rental...by myself...same thing. Parked, left the truck running, came back...pulled out, truck wasn’t having it. 4Hi engaged itself again.

I looked on here for similar issues but didn’t notice any. Anyone else have this problem? I haven’t fixed the resistor issue yet, I plan on it soon. (If I jiggle the wires it comes back on) Does the wire harness for the fan connect to a switch that controls 4WD maybe? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

*And yes, I admitted I was wrong and apologized to her lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Any chance you’ve bumped it shifting into or out of park. I know I did this one time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not likely. I could see how it would happen if I was wearing a large jacket or something. I don’t recall bumping it at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How would you accidentally bump it? You have to actually hold the button down for about 3-4 seconds for it to engage anyway. Accidentally pushing the button wouldn't actually engage 4wd.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Strange. I don’t have to hold mine 3-4 seconds. Just a push of the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Same with my 2010 4wd. Just push the button, no holding required. Must also be moving or rolling for it to engage. I have engaged mine without intending to but I was on dry pavement so the first turn and the binding of the drive line alerted me to the situation.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Had the same problem with mine right after I bought it. The lights in bright sunlight is hard to see what position it is in. So after a few times, I am VERY careful to not hit the 4wheel drive button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so maybe the diagnosis for now will have to be: I’m just clumsy. Lol I’m going to be very mindful of those buttons. But I promise if it happens again, I’ll let ya know. In the mean time, I’m still wondering if anyone has actually had it engage itself still...just so I don’t think I’m crazy!!! Haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
If there is a problem in the 4x4 switch and it looses connection, 4HI is the default mode. So if there was an electrical problem, it would automatically switch to 4HI. Maybe take the unit off, inspect and clean. The switch is probably the cause, not likely the actuator. If you do need a new one, @Iceman62 is selling one.

My truck is sensitive to low battery voltage and maybe the voltage drops at idle (especially with A/C and radio, etc) and the voltage drop is causing a problem, what’s your battery voltage while the truck is off?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had that same issue when I first got my '05. Twice it somehow popped into 4X4 . . . I have no idea how it happened, but I must have hit it by accident. I took care to avoid the button and since then it hasn't happened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts