Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Canyon with the 3.5 I5 motor. Started getting the flashing check engine light. Ended up that I have no compression in the #2 cylinder. Truck has 194000 miles on it. Should I pull motor and rebuild or what are other options? Truck is in great shape other than this problem. It is also a 4X4 Extended cab. I am able to do the labor work myself, but would have to rely on machine shop for that kind of work. This engine has never been torn down before, just minor tune up stuff. Recommendations and or other options on this?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would suspect a valve problem if all other cylinders have good compression. I'd take the head off and take it to a machine shop. It's a pretty big job and the timing chain will have to be taken off and lined back up again, and there will be gaskets to purchase, but it's not going to be terribly expensive. I have actually "seafoamed" a motor and gotten a stuck valve to open and close correctly before. You can google that to see what I'm talking about. What was the compression on the other cylinders? My '04 3.5 has about 180 PSI on all cylinders. If all other cylinders have good compression and the cylinders have about the same compression, then you have a valve that is not sealing correctly. This is a "common" problem on these motors. Id get a quote from a couple of machine shops and I'd look online for the cost of a rebuilt head and watch some videos on how to replace the head and decide what you feel most comfortable with. I would estimate less than $1,000 if you do the work yourself and have a machine shop do the work on the head for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression on the other cylinders was around 175. I can get rebuilt head from Advance for under $600. Should I replace the timing chain at this point? I have seen some info on removing the head without messing with the timing chain, but have no details on that. I know a lot is involved in dropping the oil pan such as rack and pinon and transfer case. I don't want to change head and turn around and have to replace timing chain a couple months later.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I know it's additional work an expense an I really am not looking forward to the time when I feel my timing chain needs to be replaced, but at 194,000 miles, I think it's the smart thing to do. Easy for me to say since I'll probably be sitting on my couch watching TV while you're outside doing all that wrenching! Do you have any idea if the timing chain has ever been replaced before. If it's never been replaced, I'd find it difficult to tear the motor down without replacing the chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's additional work an expense an I really am not looking forward to the time when I feel my timing chain needs to be replaced, but at 194,000 miles, I think it's the smart thing to do. Easy for me to say since I'll probably be sitting on my couch watching TV while you're outside doing all that wrenching! Do you have any idea if the timing chain has ever been replaced before. If it's never been replaced, I'd find it difficult to tear the motor down without replacing the chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the truck used in December of 2006 with only 24000 miles on it. Motor has never been torn down, only tune up stuff done to it. Replaced fuel pump last November and the rack and pinon once plus all the shocks. That's about it. Been lucky I guess other than regular maintenance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im sorta dealing with the same problem.. you should do a leak down test see if it intake or exhaust. Valve... you may be able to pull the exaught manifold off / intake manifold off look down the throat shine a small light too see... if its stuck or broken ebay sell tiny light cameras prity cheap... if you can get tge vhicle running . Put a piece of papper over the exaust pipe.. if the papper flaps around push and pulling its an exaust valve . If its an exhaust valve you may want too change the exaust cam actuator... i live in canada you can only get them from the dealer so be prepaired too spend 400$ for just that then timing chain intake sproket tensioner and guids usually come in kit for round 400$ then oviously once you get ur c head bak c head gasket is around 80 buck.. dont for get to change ur head bolts thats 120$ also fly wheel bolt.. exhausts man gasket 50$ so ur looking at 1500 bucks... too do it ur self... gm did not design this vehicle too be repaired... well unless ur rich.. gl let me know how it goes and or if u can find parts cheaper maby we can help each other...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm waiting on warmer weather to work. Going to start at the top and work my way down to the head. Changing the timing chain also since I'm at 194 thousand miles plus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Safe bet... bench test ur exaust cam actuator, be care full not to blow it apart... i just did pain in the arse to put back together! You may not need to replace that expensive part. Gl have fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts