Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
What part of va are you in? Sounds like you just need to pull the intake manifold and change the valve cover gasket. Not a bad job. How is it blowing it into the intake from the valve cover tho?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
covington yea it looks like it is comming from the valve cover i too the box off the top and looked hown the hole and i see oil setting in the valve cover

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I think if you have a lot of oil coming from that it's cause by blow by. I have my crankcase breathers vented to the atmosphere. You'll get alittle oil. I'll see if I can find emaxxers thread on it.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The "hose port" on the left in the picture is for the "fresh air tube" that goes from the resonator to the valve cover. That is for the air supply to the PCV system. The other "hose Port", to the right of that, is where the crankcase gasses exit and go to the intake manifold. In the valve cover, under the exit port, is an orifice to control the vapor flow out of the exit. If that orifice get plugged, the gasses will instead exit through the fresh air tube and into the resonator. When the gasses enter the cold resonator, the vapor condenses and you get what you see. Maybe you can blow some air into the port on the right to see if it will unclog, or perhaps use something like brake cleaner that will evaporate rapidly and not leave a residue.

Simply put, the PCV orifice in the valve cover is clogged and the vapor is blowing back through the resonator. There should not be any vapor/oil in the resonator if the PCV system is operating normally.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the oil in the dip stick usually has a lil white foam on it but under the oil fill cap their is alot of tge foamy milky oil but yea it came out of the resonater i got the valve cover loose but cant get it off got to take tge intake off but the orfice wasnt clogged maybe it was froze shut and i dont know how long it took for that stuff to accumulate in their i have only owned the truck for a year and a half

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
That "foamy milky oil" is a common occurrence in the winter months, particularly if an engine hasn't been run long enough to burn off the internal moisture. The vapor accumulates in a cold spot (under the oil cap) and condenses. Probably worse on your truck due to the PCV problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts