Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a mint body high km 05 quad cab, 2wd manual a while ago, swapped some parts and realized that the timing is the problem, which is a huge job. While I was pricing the parts my buddy called, asked me to source and help him install a motor in his 06 auto 2wd reg cab.
I found a decent price on a low mileage motor, it was in an 05 manual and got it. I pulled the motor on his 06, noticed a few differences first one I saw was that the fuel rail has a pressure regulator and a return line that the 06 doesn’t. No big deal, swap the rail. When I got the motor out and put them side by side & tried to swap the flywheel, the connection is different. The 06 has a lip to centre the flywheel and the 05 has a much bigger hole and a bearing inside.
So my question is, Will a 2.9 from an 07 bolt up in the same way as the 06 flywheel, or is the difference because of the different tranny? I have sourced a really low km 07 2.9 that has an auto tranny at the same wrecker and he’s going to give me a good price on the motor to make up for the first one not fitting.
I’m going to keep the 05 engine & swap it into my 05 instead of doing the timing gears, chain and balance chains, might do a rebuild and sell it later.
But the priority is getting the 06 back on the road for my buddy as it’s his work truck.

·
Lifetime Member
618 Posts
Welcome to the Nation . . .
You got a lot going on. Typically everything should bolt up.
I see your from Canada. I wonder if the difference maybe a Canadian build vs US build option.
I went to Rock Auto. They showed the same flywheel for 2005-2007 2.9's

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Welcome to 355Nation!

Maybe repost your issues in the engine section for GEN1 trucks for more responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts