Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm having some trouble with my work truck. It's been about 2 weeks. Truck was running good then cam out next day and wouldn't start
I'm getting. Spark, fuel and compression,

I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, fpr, spark plugs and coils mass air flow senser, all new

Checked all fuses with multi meter and test light , relays all good

I cut the blue and white wire. For the passlock system a few months back and it was running fine till about 3 weeks ago and havent had any luck with getting it running again

Codes that were on before removing battery (p0014,p0442)
Already fixed evap leak

Any ideas would help

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

It is my understanding that if you cut the wire, to stop a PassLock issue, it keeps the security memory in the BCM. If you lose power, by disconnecting the battery, the memory is lost and you will have the PassLock problem retrurn because of the cut wire. You can try connecting the cut wire, but you may still have the problem, if you had it previously.

The most common (actual) repair action for a PassLock issue is to replace the ignition switch and do a relearn. To do that you will have to purchase an ignition lock housing assembly. The ignition switch does not come separately. Then you have two choices. 1. Tear the steering column apart and replace the housing/switch which is a major job. 2. The favorite course of action, remove the switch from the new housing and swap it with the original switch (2 screws). 2005 GMC CANYON 3.5L L5 Ignition Lock Housing | RockAuto

After replacing the switch you will need to do a relearn. Directions for replacing the switch and doing the relearn can be found using the Search function. Try "ignition switch" and "PassLock relearn"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ytgank you for responding that was my next course of action . Was replacing the ignition switch or how u said. Just switching the module part. I was just wondering before I threw more. Parts at it. Ckuz if I spray starter fluid in it it will run then bog out like its out of gas .

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
The PassLock system, when activated, will result in the injectors not functioning. That is all. The engine will crank and may start if some fuel got through the injectors before the PCM shut them down. If the engine starts it will only run for a couple of seconds.

PassLock does not affect the ignition or air flow so if you spray started fluid into the intake it might run and shut down.

Some guys have had PassLock issues where the engine would not crank, but that was a separate issue, also related to a defective ignition switch.

Yes, it is time to put the parts cannon back in the shed. Just curious, how many of the parts that were changed were confirmed bad before replacing them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly none of them were proven bad I just don't get much time to work on it due to work maybe 6 or 7 hours a week . So I just throw the oarts I know are needed to start the vehicle. But thank you for the help I'll be checking the ignition switch when I get some time and daylight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had it connected with alligator clips when I last tried to start it. But no luck. So when I get some time again I'll re connect ur completely before I put the ignition switch in .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Reminds me of the Slingblade movie when the guys had tried everything, but the lawn mower still would not start.
Slingblade walks by and asks, "Has it got gas in it?" They removed the cap, peeked inside, and said something like "That's what I like about you. You keep things simple". :LOL:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys im back.. It's been a min but I got the black part on the ignition switch replaced , and did the re learn process but nothing . I've done the relearn process twice
1st passlock light blinks for 10 min then goes solid
2nd time stays solide never goes off even after the 10 min
3rd time does the same thing never goes off

Still crank no start. Add a Lil starter fluid turns then immediately dies..

Could the bcm fried or is there a way to test that b4 ordering one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts