Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New around here. Recently picked up an 05 canyon and had the airbag light come on. I've been trying to figure it out from other posts to no avail. I was really hoping for some broken wires but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have minimal mechanical experience but am more than willing to try some suggestions if anyone has some.

So far I've checked:

Continuity of wiring from inside the cab to the retractor assembly in the door - no broken wires

Fuse - not blown

Pretensioner - good - resistance. 5 ohms

Retractor - good - resistance 2 ohms.

The only codes I'm getting are the two listed. Am I missing a component?

One thing I'm wondering is if I should have continuity from the cabling going to the pretensioner under the seat to the cabling leading to the retractor assembly? They disappear into a junction under the carpet so I'm guessing it doesn't...but I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extended cab. Wiring inside door has been checked. Continuity is present through the cab, to the door, to the retractor assembly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you referring to the switch on the bottom of the rear door that is the door open sensor?

Not sure if this is something relevant or just helps secure the door.

If my lights are functioning correctly and I'm not getting a doors open message, wouldn't that switch be working correctly?

Or does it play another role im unaware of?

Is that the right switch?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The top picture is what I was referring to . It's been a long time ago but I seem to recall that the dome light and third brake light are in the same wiring branch along with the key in ignition chime . If all are functioning I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas , hope another member can help out .
Just thought of this , check the two ground packs on the sides of each inner fender for proper ground and I think an air bag sensor is right behind the grill on the radiator support . May be faulty or not plugged in fully .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wiring inside the left rear door to the crash sensor is broken. Most of the time it's right in the rubber covering that flexes every time you open the rear door. Split it open and you'll find the problem - - -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said I've checked the wiring. I've done a continuity test from the interior halfway down the harness to the end of the cable at the retractor inside the door. No broken connection even moving the cable around.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've only had this problem when a wire has broken inside the "accordion" rubber boot between the cab and the rear door. I'm not sure where you are testing continuity, so I'll attach a video to make sure you're checking what I'm referring to. I would check continuity between the plug inside that boot and at the plug where it plugs into the tensioner. Hope you figure it out. Usually when my ABS light comes on, I check and find that the speaker in that door has also quit working. I have an '04, and I've repaired or replaced those harnesses in the doors several times on each door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only had this problem when a wire has broken inside the "accordion" rubber boot between the cab and the rear door. I'm not sure where you are testing continuity, so I'll attach a video to make sure you're checking what I'm referring to. I would check continuity between the plug inside that boot and at the plug where it plugs into the tensioner. Hope you figure it out. Usually when my ABS light comes on, I check and find that the speaker in that door has also quit working. I have an '04, and I've repaired or replaced those harnesses in the doors several times on each door.
Yeah I've been all over that harness. I've measured from that connector he unplugs to the retractor in the door. Also from further in the cab with all the connectoers plugged in except going into the retractor and it was still good.

Is it possible to have continuity but still have this problem? I can't see how but maybe the signal is strong enough for continuity but not for the airbags?

Could I take the harness from the passenger side and swap it to see if the code moves sides?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I started to recommend that. The harness from the other side will work fine. See if the code changes to a code for the passenger side. Did you open and close the door with the ohm meter connected?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts