Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I have an 05 Chevy Colorado with all of the stereotypical electrical gremlins. The fan only works on 4, and sometimes cuts out. It also corresponds to the truck not being able to determine that the doors are open or not (IE: Lights don't come on when door is opened).

From there, the truck is constantly burning out rear turn signals, and when you step on the brake, one of the turn signals will indicate as being on and stuck on.

I recall there were two parts fixes for the 05 chevy Colorado. A major component up front that helps address all of the electrical issues up front, and same with the brakes/turn signals. I had this information all written down a year ago, but my father passed and I moved away for a year and the truck went unattended to.

Thanks in advance for helping me with this. I tried to google and it was to no avail. I simply don't know how to phrase the questions right!

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Have your battery tested and replace the mega fuse, they're cheap and will save a lot of headache. As for the tail lights, replace the bulbs and if you have a trailer harness unplug it and see if anything changes.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Okay, you mention three problems:

(1) Fan only works on High speed. Check the/replace the resistor module. If the connector pins are burned, replace connector or harness assembly. All of the information for that is covered here. Just do a "Search".

(2) Turn signals. As Jesse mentioned, the most common cause of weird turn signal indications is a defective trailer light harness. If you have one, locate the place where the two connectors attach to the body harness. Remove the tow harness connectors and connect the two body harness connectors together. If you don't have a tow harness, post back.

(3) Do the lights come on when the right door is open? One very common problem with Extended Cab models is that the wiring from the body to the rear door breaks in the hinge area. The door jamb switch that controls the interior lights is mounted to the rear door. Open up the "boot" and check the condition of the wires in that area. If the lights do not come on with either door open, you probably have a different issue.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
A lot of times guys have had weird electrical problems that couldn't be figured out, after doing all the checks to find out there battery was bad. Same goes for the mega fuse, just having you start with those will eliminate driving yourself crazy if it was an easy fix.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Check and clean all grounding points too.

Clean them up and a dap of die-electric grease will ensure things at the grounding points stay clear.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
A lot of times guys have had weird electrical problems that couldn't be figured out, after doing all the checks to find out there battery was bad. Same goes for the mega fuse, just having you start with those will eliminate driving yourself crazy if it was an easy fix.
I'll second this. When my battery went the truck was acting all stupid.

Here is the how to to fix the blower motor.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6401

If need be I can get pics of the two main ground blocks under the hood that 1badi5 mentioned for ya. It's believed that the shitty ground connection at those two spot causes all sorts of gremlins.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll second this. When my battery went the truck was acting all stupid.

Here is the how to to fix the blower motor.

How To: HVAC Fan Motor Resistor & Connector Replacement - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

If need be I can get pics of the two main ground blocks under the hood that 1badi5 mentioned for ya. It's believed that the shitty ground connection at those two spot causes all sorts of gremlins.
The blower motor problem can sometimes be fixed with a new connector/resistor, but the root of the problem is the ground pack. The only true way to solve the problem for good instead of just covering it up for a while is to open up that box and take all the connectors out, then cut them as close to the connector as possible. Put em' all into a ring terminal or two, and bolt it back on with a new stainless bolt, washer, and two star washers. Then if the connector is still bad, replace it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also behind the kick panel on the passenger side floor is a huge plug. My blower motor was cutting in and out. Turned out to be a bad connection in that area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts