Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got all this snow in Tennessee where I live and I had used my 4wd so that I could get around but I noticed that my dash said service 4wd and where the buttons to switch between 2H 4H and 4L the neutral light was on and the 2H and 4H where very dim and as I drive it down the street it started switching between 2H and 4H so I took it home and parked it any ideas what is causing this?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've had that happen on my '04 twice. The first time, I had removed my center dashboard piece to install a toggle switch for after market fog lights. When I put it back together again and drove it, DIC showed "Service 4WD". I rarely use my 4WD, so I had no idea what was going on. Then I realized that I had not put the plug back in to those buttons. Plugged it in and worked fine. The second time, I was actually using the 4WD to pull my son out of some mud on a trail back to our hunting club. I love pulling an F-250 out of a mud puddle in my little yellow 5 cylinder Chevy!! Again, I don't use it very often and when I do I struggle to remember how to get it into/out of 4WD. On this occasion, it was stuck in 4WD LO and that was not going to work out on the road. After playing around with the buttons, the "Service 4WD" light came on. I turned the truck off, disconnected the battery for a while, and when I hooked it back up, everything was fine. Since then, I have been trying to remember to use the 4WD about once a month and since then it has worked like a champ. I know the "NEUTRAL" feature is pretty cool for pulling the truck behind a motor home is a cool feature, but I don't even remember how to do that. I'd "reboot" it by disconnecting the battery for a little while and see it that works. I love that feature, but I think the electronics of it are a bit "sketchy" and I think I'd prefer an actual shift lever like the old school 4x4' used to have. There is an actuator on the side of the transfer case that shifts between LO and HIGH. There's also a control module under the driver's seat that controls the 4x4. Sometimes folks have reported going "swamping" and have gotten water in the truck and they've gotten that module under the seat wet and that has caused issues. If it persists, you might want to check connections on the "brain box" under the driver's seat and/or check the plug on the "gizmo" on the side of the transfer case for good connection.
Be careful in that snow! Us southern boys can handle mud and torrential rain, but we ain't used to that white stuff on the road!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts